Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coast2coastmyhomeisjerz View Post

I'm looking to gain NY residency so I can get my masters from a CUNY at a good price.
Smart move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Sounds like Williamsburg or Greenpoint might be what you're after, but it depends on where you spend most of your time. Both have decent nightlife if you wanted to kick it locally, and parking is slightly easier than really anywhere in Manhattan (though still bit of a chore). Not sure if prices will be much less than what you're doing now unless you're really willing to go a different direction and give up some of the fluff. I have to wonder what special reason keeps you attached to the car also. Unless I needed it for work/productivity I would be kicking it down the block in a heartbeat.
I was thinking Williamsburg also because of the nightlife. You might be able to find an apartment within your price range.

Not sure how long Williamsburg is from the city by train but the bridge is right there so it shouldnt be too long of a ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Unless you really cannot afford the rent anymore, stay where you are- seriously. I saw tons of apartments in the 70s and 80s in the UES for $2000-2300 a month recently. None of them had a doorman, gym, elevator or laundry in the building. And the largest one was 500 square feet. You have a very good deal. 650-700 square feet is a lot in Manhattan and even other parts of NYC.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:20 AM

38 posts, read 106,189 times
I can probably go to brooklyn and get more space for my $ though

Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 PM

467 posts, read 1,865,762 times
Well you could also move to an area where you can park on the street (like Greenwood Heights, South Park Slope-ish, and even some parts of Greenpoint have good parking) and save a lot of money. Below 4th/9th St in Park Slope you can live really well for $2000/month or less.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM

84 posts, read 398,114 times
Greenpoint! Or astoria

Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
I would consider Greenpoint. I have worked in that area for so many years and loved every minute of it. Since you drive, I wouldn’t worry about late night transportation because then, you will be in trouble. Although parking was an absolute pain, I highly recommend that area. LOVE IT!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:17 AM

38 posts, read 106,189 times
So greenpoint and williamsburg seem like the safest and most liveable areas in brooklyn right?

Not looking to live anywhere hood, never have.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:11 PM

18 posts, read 72,417 times
Definitely look around in Greenpoint. For what you're paying you could probably be in a loft with a Manhattan view up around Clay or Box Streets if you'd like, or be in a new building pretty much anywhere in the neighborhood. On-street parking's fairly easy to find within a few blocks of anywhere, and rented parking spots can be found for around $100/month. There is plenty to do within an easy walk, and it's as safe as any neighborhood in NYC. It's very easy to get to Williamsburg for more variety, but without the crowds and expense that come with living in that more popular neighborhood.

Driving to Manhattan is easy either via the Midtown Tunnel or the Williamsburg Bridge, and by subway you can take the G train a couple of stops either way to get either to the L in Williamsburg or the E, F, M or 7 in LIC, depending on what part of Manhattan you're heading to.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I think you have a decent deal on parking and the apartment in Manhattan. I can understand looking to move, but be sure to check your insurance rates. If your car is garaged, and the insurer quote is based upon that, converting to street or open lot parking, while less expensive for the spot, may end up costing more.

Also, check the car insurance rates in Brooklyn as they will likely be higher. Brooklyn has the highest insurance rates in the entire state, if I'm not mistaken.

Both of these factors may erode any space gains/savings for the same expenditure because the cost of owning the car may be higher on costs that you may not compare, when looking at rent and parking.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 AM

7 posts, read 105,191 times
Hi guys!! i'm also looking for an apartment in Brooklyn for next year. I'm a Swiss student and i would like to go to NY and study there one year.
I've found a really good looking house in Brooklyn for 1600 $ / month, but i don't know if the area is safe.. could someone help me?
The area is:
New York - Brooklyn - Flatbush
Beverly Road/Nostrand Avenue
Lott Street

thanks (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City