Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shablee33 View Post
Im going to look at apartments in bed stuy tomorrow in the 1000/or less range. I will let u know how it goes... everyone has a different opinion of bed stuy & other neighborhoods that have a bad rep.

Im stayin in a hostel in harlem ... im a white 23 yo female and i just came home at 9:30 pm and walked here by myself and i felt fine... no one messed w me... probably not a good idea but im even carrying a louis vuitton bag... so just decide for yourself hun! but ill get back on tomorrow evening and let u know my thoughts on bed stuy

your apt for under 800 sounds too good to be true tho hun... basically if any apt sounds/looks too good for the price it is!

Oh boy are you in for trouble. 23 yr old white female walking around Bed Stuy with a LV bag?

There are neighborhoods in other boroughs that you can usually find a decent apt. in your price range.

I am sure you won't consider it, but I live on SI and I pay $900 for a nice one bedroom apartment with an office in a private home. Attic storage, dishwasher, microwave, new fridge, and convenient to public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by android91891 View Post
i also saw an apartment on dekalb for 825 a month i believe? i just want to make sure that nostrand ave is a safe area like what else is there to know about the area? how far of a train ride is it from time square? or major shopping centers in manhattan, how far is it from the brooklyn bridge? any other information you may have that is helpful i would really appreciate it
Nostrand and DeKalb is far from the A/C trains at Nostrand and Fulton. If you want easy access to Manhattan, you want to live near the Fulton St subway line, Gates Ave or south of it ideally. DeKalb and Nostrand is right next to the Bedford-Nostrand station of the G train (on Lafayette between Bedford and Nostrand), but the G is really unreliable and doesn't run to Manhattan.

I would guess 25 minutes on the A from Nostrand Ave to 42nd St/PABT. More like 35 minutes on the C, or about 40 minutes if you take the G from Bedford-Nostrand and have to transfer. No one who actually lives in NYC likes Times Square or ever goes there, though.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:57 AM

121 posts, read 387,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Nostrand and DeKalb is far from the A/C trains at Nostrand and Fulton. If you want easy access to Manhattan, you want to live near the Fulton St subway line, Gates Ave or south of it ideally. DeKalb and Nostrand is right next to the Bedford-Nostrand station of the G train (on Lafayette between Bedford and Nostrand), but the G is really unreliable and doesn't run to Manhattan.

I would guess 25 minutes on the A from Nostrand Ave to 42nd St/PABT. More like 35 minutes on the C, or about 40 minutes if you take the G from Bedford-Nostrand and have to transfer. No one who actually lives in NYC likes Times Square or ever goes there, though.
well i dont live IN nyc i live in new york state but whenever i visit family near halrem i tend to go to west 4th street then walk up to 14th and do some shopping at urban outfitters. but i''m going to nostrand for the first time tomorrow to view the apartment, the viewing will take place at about 8 pm so lets hope it all goes well and it's safe. i've heard many negative things about GATES AV

Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 PM

64 posts, read 161,682 times
so i went n viewed apts in bed stuy today... loved one of them... they were in between the myrtle stop and the kzoucio(mispelled) trains and as i did feel very out of place people were nice helped with directions and i walked by the elanor roosevelt housing projects and felt fine but it was around noon. I cannot vouch for at night...

as for you who say i can find something in my price range in other boroughs... yes i know i can find them in all 4 and im looking in all of them except bronx. But for under 1000 everything is in a sketchy area or very far away from manhattan.

i just have the opinion that for the most part the people involved in violent crimes were doing something to ask for it or were involved withthe wrong ppl. robbery/muggings can happen anywhere... only one that is really at random is rape... but your budget is what it is.. but hun i really dont recromend u look at apts under 800... get a roomie or move ur budget up to 1000... thats my budget and its slim pickens

Old 12-04-2010, 02:20 PM

121 posts, read 387,784 times
Quote:
so i went n viewed apts in bed stuy today... loved one of them... they were in between the myrtle stop and the kzoucio(mispelled) trains and as i did feel very out of place people were nice helped with directions and i walked by the elanor roosevelt housing projects and felt fine but it was around noon. I cannot vouch for at night...

as for you who say i can find something in my price range in other boroughs... yes i know i can find them in all 4 and im looking in all of them except bronx. But for under 1000 everything is in a sketchy area or very far away from manhattan.

i just have the opinion that for the most part the people involved in violent crimes were doing something to ask for it or were involved withthe wrong ppl. robbery/muggings can happen anywhere... only one that is really at random is rape... but your budget is what it is.. but hun i really dont recromend u look at apts under 800... get a roomie or move ur budget up to 1000... thats my budget and its slim pickens
thanks so much babe, sounds like your visit went well, i'm going to see my apartment tonight at 8 pm i hope, if i'm not too lazy and tired from work because i'm exhausted right now, but i'm gonna go i'll let you know how my visit goes im hoping it will go well but i know i wont be back home at least until 3 am because the train ride from the bronx to bed stuy should be atleast an hour and a half, but i'll let you know because the man who is showing me the apartment also has a nother 1 bedroom for 825 a month. but thank you so much. so how did you like it? will you be moving?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:28 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:

the area around RV (eleanor roosevelt houses) is not the greatest at night.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by android91891 View Post
well i dont live IN nyc i live in new york state but whenever i visit family near halrem i tend to go to west 4th street then walk up to 14th and do some shopping at urban outfitters. but i''m going to nostrand for the first time tomorrow to view the apartment, the viewing will take place at about 8 pm so lets hope it all goes well and it's safe. i've heard many negative things about GATES AV
depends on what part of gates avenue, its a big street

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM

10 posts, read 26,863 times
Don't believe the Nay Sayers Bedford Stuyvesant is quickly becoming the next hip neighborhood in Brooklyn. Many new comers have moved to Bed Stuy in the last few years. You'll find many students, artists, musicians, chefs, young creative professionals, and young entrepreneurs. I have witnessed a culinary explosion in the this area over the last 3 years, with over 50 new trendy cafes, restaurants, boutiques, bakeries, bars, lounges, setting up shop.

As far as travel times and Subway Access goes, you want to live in the south of the neighborhood near the A train and Nosrtand Ave or Utica stop. The Nostrand Stop is the quickest subway that services Bed Stuy to Downtown Manhattan in 15 minutes and Midtown in 30 minutes. These are the best areas of Bed stuy with beautiful historic brownstone town homes, just north on Fulton Street and on better blocks you'll find more cohesive middle class families intermixed with new comers. The northern part of the neighborhood north of Gates is a rougher area.
Rents will run $725 - 850 for a single room and $1100-1400 for a one bedroom. Most of the housing stock is brownstone townhouses, but you can find condo's and a few studio warehouse conversion in the Northwest around Pratt Institute.

Check out these cool places on your next vist: They are soooo good and in Bed Stuy!

Dough - The best doughnuts in NYC period. This place has exploded with fans and you can see lines forming when they open first thing in the morning. Why? Because this isn't your average doughnut they are the lightest fluffiest creations you will ever eat. Not to mention cool flavor like hibiscus, and saffron. And they have a local cult following. Only in Bed Stuy
Saraghina - One of the newly Zagat rated restaurants, this place is a little bit of Italy in Bed Stuy. The rustic decor is so well thought out and the food is amazing. Wood fired pizza that cooks in 3 minutes and some fantastic old world italian dishes mixed in. Expect Italians speaking Italian all over this place.
Peaches and Peaches Hot House (two separate restaurants) - Both Zagat rated both new within the last three years. Fantastic southern mix of creole, cajun, soule food and BBQ you get it all here, from shirmp and grits to the hot house special Tennesse Chicken. Which I love. Just don't try the hot unless you up to it! WOW!
Umi Nom - This is probably one of the best secretes in NYC. It's on a very gritty block across from the Projects in a former laundry mat. It's BYOB, and within its doors you will find some of the best Phillipino food in NYC. Yes that is a bold statement but you'll just have to go and taste it to believe me. I can't keep my girlfriend away from this place it's soo good. Zagat list's it as Clinton Hill although technically BED STUY baby!

This place just opened up: DO or DINE I think a group of four artists opened this place. This just shows you the strong artist community in Bed Stuy, some very creative interiors and mural work. I haven't tried their food yet but reviews look good. The just opened this past Friday!

If you are looking for more of the bar / lounge scene, Bed stuy a growing number of bars and lounges, like Black Swan, Sweet Revenge, Sputnik, Voudou Bar, The langston, etc. See Yelp for more details...

Honestly If I was 19 I think I would like to live somewhere that was super creative, decent cafe/ bar scene that is close to the city. It's edgy it's gritty and it's hip. Yeah there maybe some crime but it beats living in suburbia in Pelham Bay? What the hell is up there a park? A golf course? Some Albanians? Brooklyn in where it's at my friend. Leave the Bronx to all the old people.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM

10 posts, read 26,863 times
Don't believe the nay sayers Bedford Stuyvesant is quickly becoming the next hip neighborhood in Brooklyn. Many new comers have moved to Bed Stuy in the last few years. You'll find many students, artists, musicians, chefs, young creative professionals, and young entrepreneurs. I have witnessed a culinary explosion in the this area over the last 3 years, with over 50 new trendy cafes, restaurants, boutiques, bakeries, bars, lounges, setting up shop.

As far as travel times and Subway Access goes, you want to live in the south of the neighborhood near the A train and Nosrtand Ave or Utica stop. The Nostrand Stop is the quickest subway that services Bed Stuy to Downtown Manhattan in 15 minutes and Midtown in 30 minutes. These are the best areas of Bed stuy with beautiful historic brownstone town homes, just north on Fulton Street and on better blocks you'll find more cohesive middle class families intermixed with new comers. The northern part of the neighborhood north of Gates is a rougher area.
Rents will run $725 - 850 for a single room and $1100-1400 for a one bedroom. Most of the housing stock is brownstone townhouses, but you can find condo's and a few studio warehouse conversion in the Northwest around Pratt Institute.

Check out these cool places on your next vist: They are soooo good and in Bed Stuy!

Dough - The best doughnuts in NYC period. This place has exploded with fans and you can see lines forming when they open first thing in the morning. Why? Because this isn't your average doughnut they are the lightest fluffiest creations you will ever eat. And they have a local cult following. Only in Bed Stuy
Saraghina - One of the newly Zagat rated restaurants, this place is a little bit of Italy in Bed Stuy. The rustic decor is so well thought out and the food is amazing. Wood fired pizza that cooks in 3 minutes and some fantastic old world italian dishes mixed in. Expect Italians speaking Italian all over this place.
Peaches and Peaches Hot House (two separate restaurants) - Both Zagat rated both new within the last three years. Fantastic southern mix of creole, cajun, soule food and BBQ you get it all here, from shirmp and grits to the hot house special Tennesse Chicken. Which I love. Just don't try the hot unless you up to it! Oh WOW!
Umi Nom - This is probably one of the best secretes in NYC. It's on a very gritty block across from the Projects in a former laundry mat. It's BYOB, and within its doors you will find some of the best Phillipino food in NYC. Yes that is a bold statement but you'll just have to go and taste it to believe me. I can't keep my girlfriend away from this place it's soo good. Zagat list's it as Clinton Hill although technically BED STUY baby!
This place just opened up: DO or DINE I think a group of four artists opened this place.

These guy are really out there but just shows you the strong artist community forming in Bed Stuy, some very creative interiors and mural work. I haven't tried their food yet but reviews look good. The just opened this past Friday!
If you are looking for more of the bar / lounge scene, Bed stuy a growing number of bars and lounges, like Black Swan, Sweet Revenge, Sputnik, Voudou Bar, The langston, etc. See Yelp to more details...

Honestly If I was a young fellow I think I would like to live somewhere that was super creative, decent cafe bar scene that is close to the city. It's edgy it's gritty and it's hip. yeah there maybe some crime but it beats living in Pelham Bay? What the hell is up there a park? A golf course? Some Albanians? Brooklyn in where it's at my friend. Leave the Bronx to all the old people.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 PM

337 posts, read 968,900 times
What race are you? Are you from ny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City