Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shablee33 View Post
Thank u all for the info... Unfortunately i think im going to go w the wash heights apt... All the places i can afford r in bad areas n wash heights seems the best... I have a big dog so a roommate is hard to find.... Considering wash heights is just at the average nyc crime rate it cant be that bad... Crima rate is the same as uws etc just more drug crime... Hopefully ill b fine. Thank u again. If u have any advice as far as tips to stay safe in the area would b great. I kno pepper spray, dont walk alone late at night... But shud i acknowledge people say hi like i normally would in TX if the person was looking at me or just mind my own biz? Can i talk on my cell to and from the subway?
Mind your own business. Don't be overly friendly with your neighbors.

Literally watch your back....make sure no one follows you into your building or home from the subway. If you think someone's following you, keep walking past your building or walk into a bodega or another store.

Do not talk on your cell to/from the subway. Same with iPods. Too easy to get distracted and let your guard down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Considering wash heights is just at the average nyc crime rate it cant be that bad... Crima rate is the same as uws etc just more drug crime... Hopefully ill b fine.
One more thing- please take your head out of your a** and realize you are moving into an extremely dangerous neighborhood. Don't just take what comments people say on city data like "it's average- no worse than Upper West Side" and actually do your own research.

I just pulled crime stats for the past 8 weeks (October & November 2010) for the precinct W 176th & Audubon is in and also the northern-most UWS precinct. Here is the comparison:

Murders: 2 WH, 0 UWS
Rape: 6 WH, 2 UWS
Felony assault: 35 WH, 5 UWS
Armed robbery: 45 WH, 10 UWS
Burglaries: 36 WH, 9 UWS

Remember, these are just for the past 8 weeks. Practically 1 armed robbery every day and 1 felony assault every other day in WH. It is NOT a safe neighborhood and I doubt you've even walked through any neighborhood in Texas that can compare.

You are foolish to sign a lease there, but it's your decision to make. I hope moving to NYC is so important that it's literally worth risking your life/safety for because no matter what you want to believe, WH is hardly "average" safe for NYC. The actual precinct crime reports which you can easily Google will show you the truth.

Your budget would easily allow you to rent a room in an apartment in a safe neighborhood in the Upper East/West Sides, Murray Hill, etc. I don't understand why you won't leave your dog in TX with your parents until you are established enough to have an apartment in a good neighborhood.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 PM

64 posts, read 161,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by android91891 View Post
don't say roommates are hard to find! i'm looking for an apartment myself and wouldn't mind rooming with someone who is clean, respects my space, and loves pets! but i'm sorry for a room in washington heights i wouldn't pay no more than 250 a month.

LOL hun you cant find a room anywhere for 250... ive read alot of your posts and you really really really need to come to nYC and look at apts and see the areas you are considering.... Bed stuy is sooo scarey and there are projects everywhere!! ... wash heights is drastically safer ... i was just as clueless as u til i spent the past 4days looking at apartments and learned about all the areas... really stay away from bed stuy

Old 12-05-2010, 08:48 PM

121 posts, read 387,852 times
Quote:
LOL hun you cant find a room anywhere for 250... ive read alot of your posts and you really really really need to come to nYC and look at apts and see the areas you are considering.... Bed stuy is sooo scarey and there are projects everywhere!! ... wash heights is drastically safer ... i was just as clueless as u til i spent the past 4days looking at apartments and learned about all the areas... really stay away from bed stuy
well i was rented a room in wash heights for 150 a month maybe it was so cheap because i sort of knew the person but theres not way i would pay more than 300 for a room. and yeah i know im gonna go to bed stuy though this up coming weekend and see how it is

Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 PM

I looked up the crime stats... And they are comparable to uws midtown etc... I didnt pull the average crime rate stuff out if my ya kno lol... I read up alot... Nyc in general is not safe compared to tx end of story.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Again, you STILL are clueless. Bed-Stuy had actually had LESS crime than WH in the past 8 weeks.

Murders: 0 BS, 2 WH..... WH is worse!
Rapes: 1 BS, 6 WH.....Again, WH is worse!!
Felony Assault: 27 BS, 35 WH....Again, WH is worse!!!
Armed Robbery: 41 BS, 45 WH....Again, WH is worse!!!!
Burglaries: 34 BS, 36 WH....And yet again, WH is worse!!!

Did you actually DO any research? I'm not trying to beat you up here, but you don't seem to know as much as you think. Not that Bed-Stuy is a good place (it's not), but 176th & Audubon is equally bad.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Oh and ur obviously not a dog owner.. U dont leave ur dog behind

Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 PM

If i was at my computer & not my cell id put up all ive read but do YOU live in wash hts or bed stuy?? No! Advice from sumione who has lived there recently would be nice???

Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I looked up the crime stats... And they are comparable to uws midtown etc... I didnt pull the average crime rate stuff out if my ya kno lol... I read up alot... Nyc in general is not safe compared to tx end of story.
No, the FACTS show that WH is 4-5X worse than UWS....and I picked the northern-most UWS precinct to compare- not the "Disney World" safe West 70's.

I'd pick the neighborhood where murders are incredibly rare vs the neighborhoods where there are 15-20 a year, on top of 100 or so rapes and 500+ assaults. I don't even know how you have talked yourself into thinking W 176th is safe or even average. It's not.

And yes, there ARE neighborhoods in NYC that you could afford (as sublet) that are statistically as safe as River Oaks in Houston or Highland Park in Dallas. I know. I lived in one- Upper East Side- and paid $925/mo to share an apartment in a high rise apartment with a doorman.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Oh and ur obviously not a dog owner.. U dont leave ur dog behind
Yes, I am a dog owner. And I love myself and my dog enough that I would leave her behind until I lived in a neighborhood where it was safe enough to take her out 3x a day and not worry about being caught in drug lord cross-fire or being assaulted....which will happen to one of your North WH neighbors nearly every single day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City