Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Orphaned quote/comment

All the stuff you're saying is true? Maybe. Or perhaps we think what you're saying doesn't actually make NYC look that bad. For example, the traffic is bad. We know that, but why would we care? Most people don't drive in NYC, and there aren't too many situations I'd imagine a tourist would need one. Most places of interest are easily accessible by public transportation. And because the locals don't drive much, some residential streets can be surprisingly quiet. I remember some residential streets in Brooklyn were almost empty of traffic.

Sure, it's crowded but it's a big city. There's life here. It's much healthier than having streets empty of people. Nothing to do? World-class museums. Stores that cater to every taste and interest. Lots of plays. All kinds of restaurants. Even cheap eats. I suppose if you don't like cities, it won't see like there's that much to do, but that's not New York's fault.

All big cities have crime. And NYC compares well to most other American cities. Most of the crime is concentrated among certain demographics and neighborhoods. Subways are unsafe at 2 am? How do you know that if you've only been to the city twice? It's safe in Manhattan and in most places near Manhattan. It may or may not be safe at ends of the line.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-12-2010 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned quote/comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:05 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post
Don’t know about that buddy I mean I think you might have to pull a survey on that one. We must not forget the man who was stabbed not less than seven or eight months ago and died while people all around him took photos of him and thought it was cute. No offence but I mean new York for a city with that many people it kind of scares me some times I have been there only twice and it was years ago never in my life do I care to go back. I think for tourism people seem to over look stuff like that but it is the reality of our society. I have a cousin who lives in Brooklyn who is dying to move back home and is fed up with a whole arm full of stuff about new York in from what he tells me every year the subways are not that easy to use I mean I have been to a lot of cities from there to Chicago to los angelas and ridden a lot of subway and transit cars even in san Francisco and to me they were a hell of a whole lot easier to use. Someone also told me who visited there a few years back the subways are not so safe at 2:00 am in the morning and so on a lot of people get mugged and no I am not talking about a scene I saw in some new York movie it is true.
I've been to NYC twice.

First time I travelled on my own. A lot of people thought I was crazy, maybe they thought of NYC from 1970 or something.

Anyway, as a single girl travelling on her own, I felt perfectly safe.
I would love to live in NYC.

Lol. I challenge you to go down George St or Kings Cross in Sydney at 2.00am and not see something going on. I wouldn't take ANY train, in ANY major city on my own at 2.00am.... that's just me.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I don't even think 2am is that late. Since bars close at 4am you might see some people on their way OUT of the night, not on their way home. I would take the subway home at that hour if I hadn't been drinking. Usually on the weekend, in a popular area, there will be many other people taking it as well.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:13 PM

96 posts, read 192,739 times
To

Ozgal

I am glad you had a good vacation in new york when you were there i really am but like i said we cannot speak for people who have not had a good vacation going there i mean it just is what it is and me out of all of the different cities i have been to i have felt much more at eas let alone safe from just crowds and crowds of people walking on top of you. I dont know the streets you are talking about once again because i dont care for new york or to go back there.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
I ,lived in NYC for thirty-five years, and returned for a visit 3 weeks ago. I took my niece and her 3 year old daughter to see Radio City Christmas Show. We took the subway to and from the show! On the way going it was rush hour and packed !! Two subway riders gave up their seats for the 3 year old and myself (both women). NYC is a great place just use common sense and you will be fine!

Old 12-12-2010, 04:25 PM

96 posts, read 192,739 times
1. you have alot of americans who dont like huge crowds.

2.people now days can do most of what they want in other cities versus new york.

3.some people get scared in big big population cities like new york.

4. also some people may see new york from the news as a scary place in there could be alot of people who think that way.

5. some people dont like wating five and ten lights to cross a street. When they can go to another city and void that problem very easly and yes even big cities.

I dont know why this is but there seem to be way to many post on new york city the pleasure of it and the glammer of it and when you actually travel to other states you find and meet certain people all over who dont really care for it and i mean thousands if not on a survey millions you wonder is it really as good as they say it is. There are people like this all over we just dont see theme and ask theme everyday because we dont tavel everyday.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
"Billions of Americans" ??? Are we China???

Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post

5. some people dont like wating five and ten lights to cross a street. When they can go to another city and void that problem very easly and yes even big cities.
What does that mean. The light changes. You cross. Why would you have to wait 10 light changes to cross the street? The only time I have ever missed a light was when I was on my phone and not looking.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
What does that mean. The light changes. You cross. Why would you have to wait 10 light changes to cross the street? The only time I have ever missed a light was when I was on my phone and not looking.
Or don't wait for the light and just cross.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Or don't wait for the light and just cross.
That too. Though my friend almost got arrested for J-Walking two days ago. IN TIMES SQUARE, near our school. Considering everyone is just running in multiple directions the officer couldn't keep up with her and she "pretended" not to hear him calling her to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City