Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,933 times

Advertisements

While doing research about this apt in a coop building in bay ridge that I'm considering renting I found the unit was for sale. I found the rental listing online but was concerned that the same pics for this apt kept appearing with different contact numbers over several days. The guy who showed me the apt didn't have keys to the building or the unit. He was buzzed into the building but The apt didnt have a lock on the door so we just let ourselves into two apts that were available. Anyway, he was so eager to get me to commit to the apt he offered to reduce the rent. He said he was with the mgt company but had to get back to me with the answer to my questions. He said there was a credit check fee but that if I had good income it wouldn't be a problem getting approved. He even said I could see the apt by myself, Just let myself into the building and check it out, since there was no lock. Which I did. I was ready to say I wanted the apartment until I saw it was up for sale. Should I be concerned? He didn't mention the unit was for sale, what else hasn't he mentioned? A nice woman in the building said it was a great quiet building. Why is the mgt company looking to rent the place if it's up for sale? What kind of proof should I be asking for to make sure this is all legit or am I being paranoid since I found the listing online on a popular site that has been used to scam others. Help and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
OMG.... this has red flags all over it!!! He's "with the management company" but has no keys??? The apartment itself had no lock????? He almost immediately offered to reduce the rent??????

If you're looking for proof, do a little online research and find out the name of the management company. Call them and tell them you were shown the apartment by ________________ and wanted to know if it was legitimate because he has no keys to the building and the apartment itself had no lock on it. Also, mention that he offered to reduce the rent and that the apartment is for sale.

I wouldn't give this person a penny. The information you gave here simply says SCAM!

Oh, and without mentioning the name of the website you found the place on ---- yes, there are a ton of scam artists on there who post apartment after apartment for rent and put pics of luxury places, etc. Be careful! Better yet, go through a real estate office!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Default More info...

So just some more info... The listing on the unit for sale describes it as a sponsor apt meaning the mgt company would be able to rent to whoever the want until it is sold correct? Does this make it better? I never got the name of the management company but I'll ask him. I've asked for the coop board rules, I'll also tell him I know the unit is for sale.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkAptSeeker View Post
While doing research about this apt in a coop building in bay ridge that I'm considering renting I found the unit was for sale. I found the rental listing online but was concerned that the same pics for this apt kept appearing with different contact numbers over several days. The guy who showed me the apt didn't have keys to the building or the unit. He was buzzed into the building but The apt didnt have a lock on the door so we just let ourselves into two apts that were available. Anyway, he was so eager to get me to commit to the apt he offered to reduce the rent. He said he was with the mgt company but had to get back to me with the answer to my questions. He said there was a credit check fee but that if I had good income it wouldn't be a problem getting approved. He even said I could see the apt by myself, Just let myself into the building and check it out, since there was no lock. Which I did. I was ready to say I wanted the apartment until I saw it was up for sale. Should I be concerned? He didn't mention the unit was for sale, what else hasn't he mentioned? A nice woman in the building said it was a great quiet building. Why is the mgt company looking to rent the place if it's up for sale? What kind of proof should I be asking for to make sure this is all legit or am I being paranoid since I found the listing online on a popular site that has been used to scam others. Help and opinions are greatly appreciated.

I've had the same scenario with Rapid Realty, it was commonplace that they'd take us to look at a place and half the time not have the keys. Many of them couldn't answer alot of basic questions either and always say "they're with the management", but they're with a realestate company. Alot of them knew nothing about NY, one tried to tell me finding an apt with heat and electric included was rare . It may not be a scam just a very unprofessional broker with an unprofessional team. Either way it still isn't a situation you really don't want to be in, these brokers suck and swindle many out of towners of their hard earned money to live in ratholes with horrible landlords.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Assuming this is all legit and I want to rent this apt what should I expect since it is for sale? Constant requests to show the unit to potential buyers? If it's sold can I be forced to move before my lease is up? What other issues am I likely to deal with?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,848 times
all apt listings are a scam.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkAptSeeker View Post
Assuming this is all legit and I want to rent this apt what should I expect since it is for sale? Constant requests to show the unit to potential buyers? If it's sold can I be forced to move before my lease is up? What other issues am I likely to deal with?
Many sponsor units in co op buildings are for sale or rent at the same time.Generally,if they rent first, they are taken off the market until the tenant moves out.
Co op boards have little or no say in who a sponsor rents to or sells to.Tenants and buyers are subject to board approval.
The sponsor can't throw you out before the end of your lease but I don't think they have to automatically renew your lease either.Everything( including showings,renewals and rent increases) would depend on the terms of your lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City