U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:36 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,056,292 times

Advertisements

On TV and in the movies, New York City seems endless and immense, but then again, Manhattan is only 2 miles wide, so it can't really seem THAT big, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 AM

750 posts, read 2,417,420 times
The first time you visit, it will seem immense, you will feel tiny. Especially if you're coming from Europe where there aren't too many skyscrapers. In Manhattan, it's practically ALL skyscrapers, and they're much taller and bigger than they are in Europe. If you're coming from Tokyo, New York will feel like you're visiting Cleveland or something. It would probably take you only a good 45 minutes to walk from the Hudson river to the East river along 42nd Street, but Manhattan is long. I work in the FiDi and it takes maybe 30 minutes by train just to get to Central Park, and it's the same city!

Also, it's important to remember that New York City consists of 5 boroughs. Manhattan is just the central business district where people work. The other boroughs are just as urban, you won't generally won't see sprawling backyards and detached houses like you will in the suburbs for example. Everything is still packed in tight. If you take into account the outer boroughs, New York feels humongous.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 AM

590 posts, read 1,195,076 times
If there was no traffic you could get anywhere in NYC in under 20 mins by car.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:17 AM

121 posts, read 381,150 times
new york city is "big" for a new comer because there's so many things to see but once you've lived here as long as i have ( i was born here and am 19 years old) it gets somewhat boring and old. the only place i find fun/entertaining and with new things to see everyday would probably be queens/brooklyn

Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 AM

979 posts, read 4,389,441 times
Bigger.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,351,017 times
Yes.. New York lives up to it's appearances on TV, unlike D.C. or LA which seem a lot cooler on TV but in real life disappoint.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 AM

10 posts, read 13,189 times
Default Bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipwn View Post
on tv and in the movies, new york city seems endless and immense, but then again, manhattan is only 2 miles wide, so it can't really seem that big, right?
it is muych bigger in when your in it and travel underground as well

Old 12-06-2010, 08:24 AM

267 posts, read 1,017,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
If there was no traffic you could get anywhere in NYC in under 20 mins by car.
The only time there is no traffic is in the movie "I am legend". Beware of midtown traffic in holiday season. 20 mins won't take you too far.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,166,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
The only time there is no traffic is in the movie "I am legend". Beware of midtown traffic in holiday season. 20 mins won't take you too far.
Like, maybe a block. Two blocks if it's late at night. (Only a slight exaggeration.)

Yes, I think, unless you are from Tokyo, NYC is a little overwhelming for most people on the first time, and it seems immense even to people who've been here for decades. There are children who grow up in NYC and never leave its bounds until they go to college. It typically takes as much as two hours or more to get from one extreme end of the city to another, and there are multiple extreme ends of the city (Coney Island, Far Rockaway, Tottenville, Woodlawn Heights, City Island, etc.).

Old 12-06-2010, 11:03 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,529,108 times
I would say yes. If you take the train into every borough and just take one time out of your day nd try walking as much as you can in every borough-you will realize how big the city is. If you drive and or take public transportation from place to place it might seem big but walking is where I feel you'll get the whole scope of how big not only Manhattan, but the outer boroughs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City