Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 72,957 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I've been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to register and write my first post I ran some searches but couldn't really find anything that fit my situation...

I'm moving to New York in about a month and a half for my first "real" job. I'm a little nervous about applying for an apartment because of all the rules regarding documentation you have to provide. I'm sure I can get my company to give me some sort of employment verification including my start date, but this start date will be a few weeks AFTER my desired move-in date. Also, I've read that landlords/management companies require recent paystubs and the previous year's tax returns on top of employment verification - but as this will be my first job, I have zero income reported last year as well as no recent paystubs to show.

Will I not be able to qualify for apartment because of this, or will a letter from my company showing my salary and start date suffice? For what it's worth, I think that my annual salary will be well over 40-50x what I'm looking to spend on monthly rent (I'll be a lawyer at a large law firm and am looking for a place in the $2500-$3000 a month range). Also, I have about $20,000 saved up in my bank account from some previous stuff, although I'd prefer not to have to give a larger-than-normal security deposit.

If I need a guarantor, how strict is the rule that the person co-signing needs to make 80 times the monthly rent? To be honest, I don't know anyone who makes that much money... my family is kind of poor and all my friends are my age. I have a few friends from law school who have already been working for a while, but they make the same amount as me, which is definitely less than 80 times the rent I'm looking to spend. If I use one of these friends as a guarantor, does that mean that I'll just have to find a cheaper place?

Finally, if I don't qualify or if I can't get the guarantor situation to work out, do you think a landlord/management company might approve me if I offer to pre-pay the first 2-3 (or 4...) months of rent? I'd rather do this than give a large security deposit...

Thanks so much for any insight and wisdom!!!!!!

Last edited by newtonyc1; 12-06-2010 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
As long as you have an employment verif letter stating your annual salary is 40x monthly rent AND you have enough cash saved to pay for 1st month's rent/ security deposit of 1 month's rent/ broker fee (if applicable), you should have no problems.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
TurtleCreek is right, per usual. You shouldn't have any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: