Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 8,942 times

Advertisements

My significant other and I put a full price offer for a rental apt last Thr we had the offer accepted verbally over the phone and then in writing setting a date to meet with the co-op sponsor today(Tuesday) to apply. When I arrived at the management company the sponsor did not show up and my broker who was breathless stated that another offer had been put forward and then we had to match in order to stay up.

Before I got to the management company I was instructed to bring in certified checks on the order of over $12K to cover 1st, security and all broker fees which I did bring and which are now effectively sitting in my pocket collecting dust.

My question is if the listing broker had known about an impending offer wasn't it their responsibility BEFORE we showed up at the management company ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,755,798 times
As a former NYC real estate agent this sounds a bit shady to me. My suggestion to you is to see if you can get those certified checks put back in your account and look for another place with another broker. When a rental is accepted, its accepted point blank. Did you fill out an application form and then get accepted or where you effectively going to the management company to do this all today?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 PM

979 posts, read 4,461,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
As a former NYC real estate agent this sounds a bit shady to me. My suggestion to you is to see if you can get those certified checks put back in your account and look for another place with another broker. When a rental is accepted, its accepted point blank. Did you fill out an application form and then get accepted or where you effectively going to the management company to do this all today?
This and what exactly do you have "in writing"?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 PM

Dear Mrs X

Thank you for response. We thought once something was accepted it was accepted.

I emailed to our Broker on Tue Night every little thing they asked for as a scanned series of documents. We then put our application in with the listing Broker (their application) on Wed of last week. Back and forth we went until we arrived at our full price offer on Thr mid-day after they wouldn't budge.

At some point over the weekend/today and yesterday an offer came in over asking.

We were never informed of this until I arrived at the management company of the co-op and was essentially stood up.

Then our broker found out by calling another broker at the listing broker's company that the competing offer's group was to meet with the co-op sponsor's tomorrow this Wed. All of this had taken place with out informing us. We were curtly told to revise our offer by the listing broker and that they were upset we had showed up at their office "unannounced". Why would I show up with $12K in certified checks made out to specific parties if agreements had been made ?

Was there anything illegal done? I highlighted the fact that it a minimum it was unethical in what done to us ? We were told that our leases would have signed on Friday. The sponsor was to pull our credit reports today and review our application and meet us in person. We had already pulled our credit reports which both listing and our broke ok'd and was part of our original application. So we figured it was a done deal and we had moving setup and dates planned based on verbal and the written agreements.

- Timothy

Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Dear Mrs. X

We have emails from our broker showing they accepted our offer and agreed to a specific move-in date.

Timothy

Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarkst View Post
Dear Mrs X

Thank you for response. We thought once something was accepted it was accepted.

We put our application in with the listing Broker (their application) on Wed of last week. I emailed to our Broker on Tue Night every little thing they asked for as a scanned series of documents. Back and forth we went until we arrived at our full price offer on Thr mid-day after they wouldn't budge.

At some point over the weekend/today and yesterday an offer came in over asking.

We were never informed of this until I arrived at the management company of the co-op and was essentially stood up.

Then our broker found out by calling another broker at the listing broker's company that the competing offer's group was to meet with the co-op sponsor's tomorrow this Wed. All of this had taken place with out informing us. We were curtly told to revise our offer by the listing broker and that they were upset we had showed up at their office "unannounced". Why would I show up with $12K in certified checks made out to specific parties if agreements had been made ?

Was there anything illegal done? I highlighted the fact that it a minimum it was unethical in what done to us ? We were told that our leases would have signed on Friday. The sponsor was to pull our credit reports today and review our application and meet us in person. We had already pulled our credit reports which both listing and our broke ok'd and was part of our original application. So we figured it was a done deal and we had moving setup and dates planned based on verbal and the written agreements.

- Timothy
I will DM you.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 PM

sorry. DM ?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarkst View Post
sorry. DM ?

Direct message. Like a mini email within City Data. You should have gotten a notification now.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 PM

k thanks. new to all this. Posted a reply back. thanks for all your help.

Timothy

aka sleepless night tonight cause we have no apt to move into now

Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,002,974 times
Your broker could have dropped a ball with the listing broker. Everything you say you were told seems to come from your broker, which leaves a big gray are between what you were told and what reality is. If the listing broker thought you showed up unannounced, your own broker may not have carried through his responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City