Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:42 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is moving to NYC. She has a job offer on 5th Avenue / 56th St area, what areas would be a good location to find a place to rent? This is for a female being relocated to NYC:

Caveats:
1. No more than 2,000/month for a 1 bedroom
2. 30 minute commute
3. Safe neighborhood with local services (coffee shop, stores...)

I've been told Long Island City would know nothing about LIC. If one can recommend areas in Manhattan as well, much obliged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
A friend of mine is moving to NYC. She has a job offer on 5th Avenue / 56th St area, what areas would be a good location to find a place to rent? This is for a female being relocated to NYC:

Caveats:
2. 30 minute commute

I've been told Long Island City would know nothing about LIC. If one can recommend areas in Manhattan as well, much obliged.
If her budget is $2k/month, she can find a 1BR pretty much anywhere, although it won't necessarily be huge.

5th Ave/56th St, closest subways are the E/M at 5th/53rd, the F at 6th/57th, the N/Q/R at 5th/59th (Q only at rush hours), the 4/5/6/N/Q/R at Lex/59th (Q only at rush hours), and the B/D/E at 7th/53rd... which gives pretty much infinite options.

If she can do $2k/month, I would look somewhere very nice, like Park Slope or Cobble Hill and are on the F. LIC is a little more recent development, which might be her thing, and has the E/M and is also cheaper. If she wants a "cool" Manhattan neighborhood, she could pull Chelsea or the Village, on the B/D/F/M and also the E, or the 6 and N/R on the eastern side of the Village, although she'd be in a relatively small space. The UES is a lot of old money but is a very nice neighborhood with remarkably good deals because it isn't "chic" and has access on the 4/5/6.

But anywhere nice near any of the B/D/E/F/M/N/R/4/5/6 would work.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
... the N/Q/R at 5th/59th (Q only at rush hours), the 4/5/6/N/Q/R at Lex/59th (Q only at rush hours) ...
Just a small correction to your post... The Q train operates at all times, and weekdays only in Astoria. On weekends (and all other times), only the N train operates in Astoria.

As suggested, Astoria and LIC would be viable options for relatively affordable neighborhoods (compared to Manhattan) with relatively quick commute times.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Park Slope would definitely be over 30 minutes of commute. Cobble Hill would barely just barely make it.

NW Queens would probably be the cheapest option, the UES would have the quickest commute.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I would throw in Jackson Heights, Queens as well. On the E and F trains it is only 4 stops so should fulfill the 30 minute commute (~15 minute train ride and some walking and waiting time). Jackson Heights has all the neighborhood amenities like a full range of grocery shopping, pharmacies, wine store, etc., but is not hip like many of the close-to-Manhattan neighborhoods in Brooklyn such as Cobble Hill.

It would probably appeal more to someone who is into having their home neighborhood be down-to-earth, diverse and relatively quiet. It is known particularly for the wide range of good value ethnic restaurants and markets (Colombian, Indian, Nepalese, Thai, etc.), the access to transportation (E, F, M, R, 7 trains) and for the architecture in the historic district. It is not known for nightlife or more upscale urban amenities.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

Caveats:
2. 30 minute commute

I would recommend Astoria in Queens.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Thanks everyone. I will be looking at NYC and subway maps with her to help her figure things out.

I haved not lived in NY in years so have forgotten commuting times via subway.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Google maps can calculate commute times by subway if you click public transit directions. Choose 5 ave / 56 st as one point and move the other end around and see what times you get. It's not perfect, but it's a good estimate and a fun way to see the layout of the city.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I also like the trip planner on the MTA site MTA NYC Transit - Trip Planner but it's probably only useful to you if you have a good idea of your start and end points - for example, if you were at the point where you were looking at a specific apartment address.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 AM

215 posts, read 519,623 times
I would recommend HopStop for commute times. Their estimates are more realistic than Google's.
Google usually underestimates the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: