Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 214,112 times

Advertisements

Hi there guys!

Soo...I'm looking into finally getting my first car (at 26...yeah, I know, lol), and I was wondering if anyone could give me some names of good/reputable used car dealerships? I'm in no big rush.

My budget is around $3000-4000. Car doesn't have to be great, it just has to be functional...it's going to be my first car, after all.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 PM

121 posts, read 386,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena77 View Post
Hi there guys!

Soo...I'm looking into finally getting my first car (at 26...yeah, I know, lol), and I was wondering if anyone could give me some names of good/reputable used car dealerships? I'm in no big rush.

My budget is around $3000-4000. Car doesn't have to be great, it just has to be functional...it's going to be my first car, after all.

Thanks in advance!
allied it's in the bronx but they have great cars 718-542-7300
from personal experience i recommend them, they have a variety of cars.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,033,029 times
Used Car Dealerships in Manhattan
Used Car Dealerships in Queens

Old 12-07-2010, 09:06 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,283,961 times
In that price range, you might do better buying a car from another owner. It's a bit more work, but no dealer mark-up, i.e., a car you could buy might be $500-$1500 more at a dealer than from a private individual.

Do you have a particular make/model in mind? If not, check out the Automotive forum for some car tips, and post back here for local referrals, etc.

With any used car, be sure to get an independent, pre-purchase inspection, either from a trusted mechanic that you know, or a verifiable service like Carchex. It costs under $200, but can easily pay for itself on a vehicle about which you are serious.

Another avenue, if you have a particular make/model in mind, would be to track down some of the good independent mechanics for that brand. Sometimes, and admitedly it can take a bit of work, you can get a lead to a customer who is selling a car similar to what you want. Since it's a good mechanic, they will likely want to keep the car in the book of business, so they won't steer you wrong. A friend of mine picked up a gently used classic Mercedes that way, having a mechanic in common with the car's former owner. You would also save the retail mark-up and commission this way, as a dealer would charge both to you for the same car. Just be sure to try to patronize the mechanic, and if he steers you to a good car, a group lunch from Subway for the shop, or something like that, is a great way to say thanks -- and less expensive than purchasing a car at retail.

Good luck.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 AM

556 posts, read 1,442,190 times
Craigslist.

You can always haggle down the price, just make sure you bring the car to a mechanic if you do not know what to look for.

Look at forums for your car that interest you for problems to look for.

I would recommend a 2000-2004 Maxima/I30 for that price range. Solid car, and could get a very nice one for that price. Dont let high milage scare you away as well. Many cars that make it above 120k will run forever. Many people think buyin a lower milage car is better, but a car with alot of miles that runs great will not give you any trouble, especially if its a Japanese car.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:10 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,045,635 times
For that kind of a car buying budget($3k-$4k)expect to
put in money for maintenance and repairs during the 1st year at the very least. A used car in that price range is going to have a lot of miles on it.
I know mileage isn't everything but even if it's a japanese car a lot of parts wear out due to age.

I would advise you on hiring a used car inspection service,
they will tell you what is wrong and you can use that as a negotiation tactic to lower the asking the price. Buying used is the way to go, you just have to do your homework and research. People who buy or lease new cars solely do so as a "status symbol".....to impress people that they don't like.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 PM

10 posts, read 214,112 times
Hm, I thought about buying from a private seller as well, but I actually thought a dealership might be safer. I'm completely new at this and wasn't exactly sure where to begin with buying from a private seller. And yeah I think most of the cars I looked at had at least 90k miles on it. I would just need this car for about 2 years, though, because my parents agreed to chip in for a newer, more permanent car, I guess you could call it, when I'm out of grad school.

This might sound silly, but if I did find a car that interested me, do I give them a call and they drive the car over so I can look at it? Or do I have to go to where they are? Or does it vary?

Thanks again and excuse my newbie-ness, lol =]

Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,283,961 times
You would call the owner, and most likely they would arrange to meet you at a neutral location. Check the usual things, however, that their ID matches the title and the registration, etc. to avoid fraud. A dealership can be good, but you are paying for the service, in addition to processing fees.

Check Edmunds for TMV pricing options to compare cars you're considering. You can appraise a car and see what it should sell for via private party, dealer retail, and trade-in value. Some cars are significantly marked up at car dealerships, and some are more interested in selling you financing as opposed to a car.

The other plus for the dealer is that you do have recourse in the event of fraud or misrepresentation, that you do not have with a private party as such purchases are "as-is." A dealer may claim that, but there are regulations in place that govern the extent to which they can claim that, though age and mileage do play a role. Over a certain age/mileage, even from a dealer, it's an as-is purchase.

With a qualified independent inspection, you may be fine with a private party sale, especially if you could find a one-owner, or one-family owned car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,045,635 times
The problem with a used car dealer is that they will try to "steer" you to other cars on the lot which are more expensive and they can make more money off of you.

Then comes the high pressure sales tactics for extended warranties, financing(never ever finance a used car at a dealership). Where as dealing with a private seller is 1 on 1. But of course you have no or little protection if something major goes wrong with the car.

Bottom line, car shopping either new or used, from a private seller or from a dealer is a very stressful experience to say the least. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City