Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 AM

104 posts, read 99,523 times

Advertisements

If you go to my profile and view my blog it gives info that you probably don't care about, but then you'll know why I wanna know this. NYC's: please befriend me and message me. I would love to hear from you, I have SO MANY QUESTIONS about the area. I need someone who can give me the scoop.

-Thanks in advance, Michaela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM

43 posts, read 85,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_NewYorkers View Post
If you go to my profile and view my blog it gives info that you probably don't care about, but then you'll know why I wanna know this. NYC's: please befriend me and message me. I would love to hear from you, I have SO MANY QUESTIONS about the area. I need someone who can give me the scoop.

-Thanks in advance, Michaela
You don't say specifically what you want to know, and why you want to know.

Are you a foreign student? Are you moving here soon? What?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Just post your questions here... You'll get a lot better (and much more) advice.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:16 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ation-nyc.html

Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 AM

138 posts, read 373,386 times
dirty, filthy, disgusting, over priced, too crowded. no matter where you go you will encounter rats, mice, cockroaches, bed bugs(ESPECIALLY THOSE), rude people.
on the positive side it's not so hard to find a job, mcdonalds is always hiring and some other retail stores, don't expect to be payed much though. you can find a cheap apartment in a horrible area.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 AM

I live in Florida, and I want to move to NYC after I graduate and have enough money saved up. I am wanting to know the cost of living, transportation, etc. It's totally different from Pensacola I am sure.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 AM

dang, I am assuming you don't like where you're at

Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 AM

thank you i will check it out soon

Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 AM

So what I am asking is how much do you spend on a daily basis on food, gas, subway, etc.?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 AM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_NewYorkers View Post
So what I am asking is how much do you spend on a daily basis on food, gas, subway, etc.?
Varies greatly... Different people manage to live with different means.

I don't have a car, so gas is nil. I also don't take the subway that often—I have a MetroCard that is linked to my credit card and automatically refills when it gets below a certain balance. I probably spend $60/month on that, but I live in the Manhattan where I can easily walk everywhere. Most of my friends in the outer boroughs have unlimited MetroCards.

As far as food, we eat out a lot. An average (not outstanding) restaurant here is at least $50-60 for two. More for a better place and much, much more for a top place. Grocery prices aren't that much higher than where I moved from (Dallas), but I've never lived in Florida so no comparison there.

Rent is going to be the biggest increase... I paid $900 for a big studio in Dallas in a luxury high-rise building with a doorman and concierge. Here, I pay $2,200 for a small 1-bedroom in a pre-war walk-up, but I'm in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city. The building and the apartment is well-maintained and it's still much bigger than a lot of 1-bedrooms in the city. It's a trade off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City