Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 AM

176 posts, read 730,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathy0110 View Post
Thank you soo much guys (:
But i'm a little bit scared, cause we i went to NYC last summer, the first thing that happened when my mother and I stepped out from the taxi a man tried to grab my mother's bag :O
I live in Switzerland so i'm not use to this kind of things and they really scared me, but i can't afford an apartment that it cost 2'000 or 3'000 $ per month, so i have too look for something cheaper but it can happen that i found it in bad areas... A guy who lives there told me that Harlem is a bad area and that i shouldn't go there... so i thought that maybe also Flatbush is a bad area... but apparently is not..
NY is a very segregated state, white do not like to live with blacks because they automatically think blacks will commit crime or do whatever. So any where that house a large amount of blacks they automatically put a stigma when while all these neighborhoods have all kinds of problems. Those that are open minded can live places very comfortably. I lived in East Flatbush for 7-8 years and my in laws still lives there. I was your age at the time I came home every night same time 3am in the morning as I worked and went to school full time I never ever had a problem. yes there was guys standing on street corners to be honest those guys had my backs they would look out for me, if they see you live there they keep an eye out for bad apples. I was in train station all hours and I am petite not even 5 foot and never had problems. You will be just fine, there are all kinds of stores cheap cheap and cheap so not only will be paying less rent but you will be able to get food and things you need affordable as there are over welcoming stores in that area. There might be a bad apple here and there but trust me that is every where doesnt matter where you live. Because there are so many people around nothing ever really happens. At your age you will have a nice big home close to transportation and be able to go to school and stuff you should have no problem. Guys that stand on street corners are usually mining their own business you will be surprise you will prob. see more people like you than you think since Manhattan has gotten so expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 105,204 times
have you been there? so you think is a nice area? i've look the street around the house that i want to rent and on the right are nice houses but on the left are not nice houses and it looks like "ghetto"..
(:

Old 12-15-2010, 12:37 PM

7 posts, read 105,204 times
Thanks Veve0308, when my mom read the other post she was like: oh no you are not going to stay there!! But now she will probably be a little bit more relaxed to know what you said
Did you worked in Manhattan? How far away is Flatbush from Manhattan by subway? i guess 30 minutes but i'm not sure (:

Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 PM

176 posts, read 730,107 times
I worked in the Manhattan wall street to be exact but I went to school in the Bronx. I would normally take the 5 train it went express on the 2 track I would take that to 4 train and transfer to the Bronx and in the afternoon I would go to work in Manhattan. If you are traveling during rush hour the 5 train can get you places really quickly. They run fairly well. Depending on where yoiu are going you could prob. make it to school 40 -45 minutes give or take maybe even earlier than that. On weekends when I worked and trains were local i made it in to work in half an hour on the two train, but remember you might have to transfer depending on where your train is at but during rush hour it is fair quick as there are tons of express trains. Learn about the trains and stops and stuff because that is how you'll make it to your destination in time. Be careful of many on subways doesnt matter which, pregnant, sick old because they have all kinds of sceme if you are new. My sister got rob one time coming home after Christmas shopping in prestigeous Manhattan, nice mother and child did it. Dont trust anyone and keep your guards up. Not that there arent nice people but there are equally people who need money or gifts for holidays and will not care about robbing you. Dont go in dark corners whenever you any where that is dark stay where people can see you, some side walks seem dark walk at the corner of street. My journey on trains is somethig to talk about from grown men playing with themselve while sitting across from me to pregnant woman begging for money on train but that same pregnant woman was pregnant for 7 years straight with same belly LOL. If you have a friend stay together, other than that once you know what to expect in NYC you'll be just fine. Dont act like you just moved here you will become target for many starving during these holidays.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM

129 posts, read 250,339 times
I'm looking for a place in Flatbush, but not liking what I'm seeing in Craigslists in terms of roomshares.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
flatbush has good parts and bad parts.....plain and simple.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City