Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 AM

556 posts, read 1,445,869 times

Advertisements

Maybe if people would have stood up a longtime ago and said' Look we will pay more money, but we want to have this increase fully accountable to the public" maybe we would have some of the projects and such done before all this crazyness happened.

Id say set up a peoples fare hike. Lets come up with a list of improvements and projects we would like to see, and let the people vote(to a certain extent) on what they want/need done. Increase the fare accordingly, and if what the fares where raised for are not completed met, then people need to go.

If we paid 2.25 back in 1996 lets say, think about how much more money the MTA would have had by now. Perhaps they wouldnt have needed to make so many investments OUTSIDE the system(i.e. real estate).

People dont realize the new subway cars cost something like $1mm per car. So you get on a $10mm dollar train every morning. Think how many trains, how much electricity it takes to power it, staffing etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 PM

244 posts, read 629,370 times
I'm in Montreal, and I find that fares in NYC are pretty good, last time I was there, it was $2,25 for a ride and here it was $2,75 and it just increased to $3 per ride.

Monthly cards are now $42 for students and $90 I think for Adults. It's pretty expensive.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM

43 posts, read 85,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Maybe if people would have stood up a longtime ago and said' Look we will pay more money, but we want to have this increase fully accountable to the public" maybe we would have some of the projects and such done before all this crazyness happened.

Id say set up a peoples fare hike. Lets come up with a list of improvements and projects we would like to see, and let the people vote(to a certain extent) on what they want/need done. Increase the fare accordingly, and if what the fares where raised for are not completed met, then people need to go.

If we paid 2.25 back in 1996 lets say, think about how much more money the MTA would have had by now. Perhaps they wouldnt have needed to make so many investments OUTSIDE the system(i.e. real estate).

People dont realize the new subway cars cost something like $1mm per car. So you get on a $10mm dollar train every morning. Think how many trains, how much electricity it takes to power it, staffing etc etc.
I choose to pay less. I don't ride the subway at full price anymore.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
104$ Unlimited is a waste unless your riding the subway 4 5 times a day everyday...otherwise you come out better just using the Cash card, refilling it as needed and take advantage of the bonus...i fill my card 80$ @ time and it lasts me more than a month almost 2 months in some cases because when i dont use it my balance doesnt decrease...and i live in the city

Old 02-13-2011, 06:44 PM

82 posts, read 175,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny123 View Post
Hello, friends:

I've found a few ways New Yorkers can offset the coming subway and bus fare increases. Isn't Google great?

1. eBay: (e-Bay) people are selling used and new MetroCards all the time for about 5% to 10% off. Search under "metrocards." Make sure the seller has good reputation.

2. Craigslist: Search under "Metrocards" and you can find discounted cards at around 10% off.

3. Moderator cut: Unable to verify that the posted link is not a scam.

4. Moderator cut: Discussion of illegal activity -- those MetroCards are for use by the intended person only, and are not to be sold.

Anyone have any other ideas or places to go? Let's brainstorm!
That actually sounds like a good idea. I never thought of that..
I haven't taken the train or a bus since I moved up here, I use my car but I'm gonna pass on that good idea. >

Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
Is that site even legit? Everything has its price....

Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Is that site even legit? Everything has its price....
Its a scam....form what i heard...

Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
I asked them about that. They said that a lot of people that travel LIRR, etc. buy a monthly pass, and on the back of the monthly pass, they also have a metrocard, and a lot of times people don't use the metrocard. This would not be a problem if it were not for the expiration. The MTA makes huge money on the fact that metrocards expire, apparently. So cheapmetrocards, as they explained, was established as a way to take advantage of that and be a broker between those that cannot use a card up before it expires and those that need the card right away because they would use it all the time.

Pretty smart.
Thats interesting, I always thought they use stolen credit cards to buy metrocards (no need for pin or signature) and then dump them for half price to get cash.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
They've been proven to be legit, at least in sending out the cards that I paid for.
ya they might be legit at first but fast forward 3-6 months, who knows

Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
They've been proven to be legit, at least in sending out the cards that I paid for.
They may be legit as far as actually sending you what you ordered. The real question, though, is this: are they legal? If it should turn out that they aren't, don't count on them for very long. (And if they happen to keep records and those records should be confiscated, then agencies like NYPD and MTA will know exactly who's been dealing with illegal MetroCards). Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: