Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I agree, but I think people are trying to sound somewhat objective when trying to give an appraisal of a specific neighborhood. And crime rate is actually one of the only objective stats one can pull out to compare neighborhoods (the other one is home/rent price levels, which is very popular to compare on this forum as well). Also, areas with generally higher crime rate tell you that there could be a lot of shenanigans going on such as drug dealers/junkies, since most of the victims of severe crime in NY are usually people who are involved with illegal activities themselves. Most of the other comparisons tend to be subjective opinions of the posters which have to be taken with a grain of salt; at least crime rates are physical numbers.
I agree. I think that supermario kid has a huge turn on comparing crime stats of different niegborhooods in particular the Bronx. People compare Crime and home price levels because both correlates with one another. People on this forums boast about crime rates and property levels like if they gonna take those numbers to the graves with them in pride. Lots of sheninagans going on most notable drugs and gangs and dont forget excons. We also can not forget there is alot of unreported crime that the city of NY fails to detect, like in Asian and South American communities in Queens those people hide crimes from prostitution to manslaugther and murder. Sometimes the NYPD sucks at handeling crime where in some cases the DEA, ATF, and FBI steps or do thier own investigation in to bring criminals to justice and I have seen this many times and recently on wall street with white collar crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I see OP's point, but then how do we measure the safety of a neighborhood? Because it certainly is an issue that almost every newcomer wants to know about.

I would probably want to know about how many projects are in a neighborhood and how many people are getting mugged for their ipods on the way home from the subway.

I also have been increasingly more and more aware of how many pedestrians are killed in NYC. I don't remember the number but it is staggeringly high. Some intersections are notoriously dangerous so it would be good to know about those.
Particularly in Brooklyn, tahts why there long forgotten Baseball team was called the Dodgers. They drive rough over there. One murder in bedstuy gets more attention then ten hit and runs in park slope.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I see OP's point, but then how do we measure the safety of a neighborhood? Because it certainly is an issue that almost every newcomer wants to know about.

I would probably want to know about how many projects are in a neighborhood and how many people are getting mugged for their ipods on the way home from the subway.

I also have been increasingly more and more aware of how many pedestrians are killed in NYC. I don't remember the number but it is staggeringly high. Some intersections are notoriously dangerous so it would be good to know about those.
You need to check out other data besides crime aswell before moving into any area such as health, education, income disparity etc. your life is more important then an ios apple device.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
Is everyone else in these other states that soft?

I never understand the complaints about the ppl of NYC. Maybe it's because I'm use to it and it don't affect, and most importantly I mind my business.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Is everyone else in these other states that soft?

I never understand the complaints about the ppl of NYC. Maybe it's because I'm use to it and it don't affect, and most importantly I mind my business.
yea , most everyone else is soft. EXCEPT New Orleans. they go hard. also philly goes hard and so does LA, some parts of jerz too

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 AM

810 posts, read 837,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I don't know. Crime happens everywhere. I am, however, concerned about gangs. No one is more dangerous than an unloved angry kid.
This is why we have the crime problem in NY, folks. The majority of the people are completely out of touch with reality. "Kids" as young as 13 are used as effective soldiers in many underdeveloped countries and in America's past some served as commanders in the genocide against Native Americans.

It is only the institutionalized education system that has led many people to incorrectly have false, unnatural notions about human mental development. Those "kids" that attacked a 90 year old war vet and those "kids" that brutally murdered a couple inside a car are no different from a 19 year old doing the same vicious crime.

Just because your own children are completely sheltered and conditioned to act infantile into their 20's does not mean the others are following that pace. Crime will quickly go down if law abiding citizens are allowed to carry guns and shoot those "youths" who wear hoods inside their apartment buildings.

The act of menacing and not belonging in a private location is enough cause for self-defense. Not going hard, as it is said, and giving the benefit of the doubt to obvious criminals will only make them more likely to continually attack others.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 AM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
This is why we have the crime problem in NY, folks. The majority of the people are completely out of touch with reality. "Kids" as young as 13 are used as effective soldiers in many underdeveloped countries and in America's past some served as commanders in the genocide against Native Americans.

It is only the institutionalized education system that has led many people to incorrectly have false, unnatural notions about human mental development. Those "kids" that attacked a 90 year old war vet and those "kids" that brutally murdered a couple inside a car are no different from a 19 year old doing the same vicious crime.

Just because your own children are completely sheltered and conditioned to act infantile into their 20's does not mean the others are following that pace. Crime will quickly go down if law abiding citizens are allowed to carry guns and shoot those "youths" who wear hoods inside their apartment buildings.

The act of menacing and not belonging in a private location is enough cause for self-defense. Not going hard, as it is said, and giving the benefit of the doubt to obvious criminals will only make them more likely to continually attack others.
Good point, the justice system is too soft on these thugs.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
So the answer is that everyone needs guns? And then when everyone has guns, that won't be enough, so you will need a travel size missile launcher, and then everyone will have a travel size missile launcher. But that's not enough, so then everyone will have portable nuclear bombs, but then everyone will have that so then....

See a pattern here? You have a problem with criminals with guns, so instead of attacking the problem and getting guns away from criminals and off the street, you say "Hey let's give everyone guns...that'll solve the problem!" What you are doing is nothing more than creating bigger problems...we need LESS guns, not more. We need less nuclear war heads around the globe, we don't say "every country should have them..that will solve the problem!"

Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 AM

810 posts, read 837,099 times
The fundamental cause of crime is predation. Guns level the playing field because of two factors. Deterrent: the thug won't feel like they can easily act in a predatory manner towards the victim if the victim can simply rely on the pull of a trigger against them. Preservation: someone defending him or herself against a criminal and killing them can end up saving many lives. The criminal that murders or rapes will continuously do so to the most defenseless of people. How many times have we seen cases of a single thug being responsible for 10 or 25 murders or rapes alone?

Now if they try to get them missiles, that's where the government comes in. They will be considered terrorists and there is no better determent than the danger of being flown to secret prisons to be interrogated by the CIA. No hood is that tough, because the liberal, bleeding hearts won't be there to cuddle his ass.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Allen...you should work for the NRA with that fuzzy math! Fundamentally your logic is flawed, you don't attack the problem, you just give everyone guns...which simply creates more problems. The fundamental cause of crimes are lack of opportunity, lack of education, lack of livable wages, and greed. Predation? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City