Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:17 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

I know that visitors from some pristine places in the midwest may think that NYC is generally dirty, but I don't. However, when I was in midtown, and a bit west today, I was shocked at the litter. Is this all just from a one-day holiday? Are people really this careless about their trash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
With all of the crowds visiting for the holidays, it wouldn't surprise me that midtown looks a bit more littered. I haven't noticed myself, but I've also been trying to avoid most of the touristy areas this time of the year.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
I find Murray Hill to be disgusting, smelly, and dirty. Also, the East Village is pretty gross. I think Midtown is a bit more littered lately because of all the tourist traffic. After the New Year, it will be OK.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I find Murray Hill to be disgusting, smelly, and dirty. Also, the East Village is pretty gross. I think Midtown is a bit more littered lately because of all the tourist traffic. After the New Year, it will be OK.
East villagr is gross aswell as chinatown and to som extent the les. I try to avoid the tourist arras of thw city myself during the holidays however macys is nice during the holidays.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:18 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Haha, yeah... And if you want to see midtown REALLY littered, take a look around after the ball drops!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:02 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I know that visitors from some pristine places in the midwest may think that NYC is generally dirty, but I don't. However, when I was in midtown, and a bit west today, I was shocked at the litter. Is this all just from a one-day holiday? Are people really this careless about their trash?
If you don't realize NYC is a filthy place, then you either need a reality check or you need to get out of NYC more!

Most of America, except for the ghetto cities, and ghetto areas, and rustbelt areas, is fairly pristine, and a huge percentage is immaculate!

NYers who don't get around much, and those hailing from the rustbelt may just not realize it.

Whenever I go away for any length of time and return, I am always struck by the everyday filth that is accepted as normal. Specifically the subways!!!!

The second thing that hits me are the crowds.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I "did" Macy's and Penny's (and Jack's natch) at Herald Square yesterday (big mistake) and the street crowds were horrific.
But I didn't notice too much litter.
But remember, lots of City workers were off for the weekend and even for Christmas Monday, so maybe the bins got fuller than usual.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Ugh this is so true. I work in Murry Hill and HATE it.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
We shopped in SoHo about a month ago and I was absolutely sickened at the amount of litter and garbage that was all over the streets. it was absolutely disgusting.

New York is, (and I don't care what anyone say's) dirty and disgusting. While our sanitation dept does what they can, it is up to the people of our people to not throw garbage all over the place.

the garbage receptibles are always over flowing...maybe they should have 2, side by side.....and basically NY'ers are generally pigs....they think the garbage fairy follows them and picks up after them.

and the teenagers are the worst, I have witnessed it so many time, finish their can of soda, throw it in the street. it sickens me.....

so yup, NY is probably the dirtiest state in America

Old 12-27-2011, 08:53 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
If you don't realize NYC is a filthy place, then you either need a reality check or you need to get out of NYC more!

Most of America, except for the ghetto cities, and ghetto areas, and rustbelt areas, is fairly pristine, and a huge percentage is immaculate!

NYers who don't get around much, and those hailing from the rustbelt may just not realize it.

Whenever I go away for any length of time and return, I am always struck by the everyday filth that is accepted as normal. Specifically the subways!!!!

The second thing that hits me are the crowds.
Agreed! I just got back from Virginia yesterday, which is squeaky clean and as I got out of the Lincoln Tunnel and turned onto Dyer Ave, I was greeted by a mountain of trash right near Port Authority. I could only imagine someones viewpoint visiting here the first time and that is the first thing they see coming in from Newark or something.
I've always accepted that New York will generally be filthy to some level.

And then there is the law about no household trash in the city street trashcans. Stories about people getting tickets for throwing an AM NY are ridiculous. It's like you might as well litter because if God forbid you throw your DD coffee in the trash, an officer trying to meet his quota might just give you a ticket for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City