Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 AM

803 posts, read 1,264,873 times

Advertisements

I always wanted to go up north and my parents are moving up North too. I haven't faced any racism at all in my 8 years in the deep south. I have made Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Native American and friends from mixed race backgrounds. Me being Indian was not an issue, in fact I was not even aware of it. In fact I even dated a Latina for quite some time and everything.

Recently a friend of mines told me that I can expect to face a lot of racism in the Northeast, New Jersey in particular for being an Indian person. My friend told me that people up North really hate South Asians and Middle Eastern people after 911 and they hate Indians a lot in particular.

I am not too sure of what's what but maybe you guys can help me. Perhaps someone who lives in the Northeast. How much racism is there against Indians?

I heard that most Indians in NYC live in poverty because the rich white neighborhoods don't want them. I also read this article which in a way was disturbing.

Joel Stein on Immigration, New Jersey's Indian Influx - TIME

Old 12-11-2010, 11:35 AM

69 posts, read 156,204 times
I dont think there is much racism against indians in NYC, most people dont care where you are from.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 AM

349 posts, read 781,448 times
I have been here a year and have not witnessed any racism against Indians. In fact, on the Jersey side close to NYC, alot of Indians live in the more affluent areas such as the Newport section of Jersey City and Hoboken. There is also a section of Jersey City called Little India (or something like that) where there is a large Indian population and Indian stores, restaurants, etc. That section of town is closer to Journal Square which "appears" to be a little less affluent but I could be wrong. I'm sure there are some people who are racist which is the case anywhere. However, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in my time here so I don't think you will have any issues. I am from the deep south as well.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 AM

442 posts, read 1,296,848 times
whos telling you this nonsense? nobody cares where your from. ny is the most diverse place in the world

Old 12-11-2010, 11:43 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
I always wanted to go up north and my parents are moving up North too. I haven't faced any racism at all in my 8 years in the deep south. I have made Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Native American and friends from mixed race backgrounds. Me being Indian was not an issue, in fact I was not even aware of it. In fact I even dated a Latina for quite some time and everything.

Recently a friend of mines told me that I can expect to face a lot of racism in the Northeast, New Jersey in particular for being an Indian person. My friend told me that people up North really hate South Asians and Middle Eastern people after 911 and they hate Indians a lot in particular.

I am not too sure of what's what but maybe you guys can help me. Perhaps someone who lives in the Northeast. How much racism is there against Indians?

I heard that most Indians in NYC live in poverty because the rich white neighborhoods don't want them. I also read this article which in a way was disturbing.

Joel Stein on Immigration, New Jersey's Indian Influx - TIME
LOL! Where do you get this stuff? Indians live very well here and have a tendency to be the racist. I hear they rarely date beyond their group. Too bad, there are some hot looking Indian ladies and some of the men aren't that bad looking either. Check out that guy who was on the Apprentice.
Indians live in mostly middle to upper middle class areas all over the metro area. New Hyde Park and Jackson Heights are two examples.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:52 AM

57 posts, read 196,671 times
Quote:
I also read this article which in a way was disturbing.
By no means would I deny you a negative emotional response, but keep in mind that what you call an "article", is identified as a humor column by the publisher (Time), and the author himself states that he "believes that immigration has enriched American life and my hometown in particular".

You may still not find the humor appropriate, but if you re-read the column with those two additional pieces of information in mind, your reaction might be different and you may be less disturbed.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:54 AM

I was just reading a lot of stuff about people calling Indians dotheads and ever since 911 I heard the racism is really bad towards Indians and Middle Eastern people.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogita Ante Scribis View Post
By no means would I deny you a negative emotional response, but keep in mind that what you call an "article", is identified as a humor column by the publisher (Time), and the author himself states that he "believes that immigration has enriched American life and my hometown in particular".

You may still not find the humor appropriate, but if you re-read the column with those two additional pieces of information in mind, your reaction might be different and you may be less disturbed.
I was more so ticked off at the part that Indians were called "dotheads" out in public, hasn't happened to me down south.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:06 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,578 times
Move to Jackson Heights, you will feel right at home with the smell of curry.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:06 PM

57 posts, read 196,671 times
Quote:
I haven't faced any racism at all in my 8 years in the deep south. I have made Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Native American and friends from mixed race backgrounds.
By the way, I think you are very fortunate in both regards - I spent 14 years in Texas and Louisiana and it was difficult to find mingling opportunities with all these diverse groups that you mention (few Blacks in South Texas; few Latinos in Louisiana; no Asians at either location, but I DID have some Indian friends in both places); also, I felt that the average redneck mindset down there was very racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City