Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM

115 posts, read 148,173 times

Advertisements

What's the point of some new luxury buildings in Manhattan offering "affordable housing" to some while everyone else pays $3,000+ market rate in the same building?

Isn't there affordable housing in Bronx and Queens?

I can't afford a new Rolls Royce drophead coupe, will Rolls Royce Motorcars subsidize my purchase? I can't afford a $20mm estate in East Hampton, why am I not offered "affordable summer housing" on Georgica Pond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 PM

32 posts, read 81,769 times
1. Housing is a necessity. Cars and summer homes are not.
2. The companies building those luxury accommodations are taking housing from the poor in order to make a butt-load of money from wealthier people who could live somewhere else. So the city asks them to reserve some of that housing for the poor - the original residents.
3. The companies building those luxury residences are taking a handout from the government, which helps them finance the construction. In return, the government asks them to look out for needy citizens.
4. Reserving some apartments for people of various incomes allows the building and the community to stay diversified. This leads to a healthier, happier environment for everyone involved.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolabrigida View Post
2. The companies building those luxury accommodations are taking housing from the poor in order to make a butt-load of money from wealthier people who could live somewhere else. So the city asks them to reserve some of that housing for the poor - the original residents.
3. The companies building those luxury residences are taking a handout from the government, which helps them finance the construction. In return, the government asks them to look out for needy citizens.
4. Reserving some apartments for people of various incomes allows the building and the community to stay diversified. This leads to a healthier, happier environment for everyone involved.

Housing is necessary yes, and there is plenty of (market rate) affordable housing in Bronx and Queens

And no they're ("rich") not "taking housing" from anybody. The last time I checked, the United States was still a capitalistic country.. Besides if we want to look at it like that, the poor "stole" formerly middle-class areas in the Bronx and turned them into warzones.

And ironically, the most sought after neighborhoods with the highest quality of life in NYC and in the rest of the country (and world, actually) are not classified as "diverse" neighborhoods. But rather homogenous. Astoria vs Tribeca. Jamaica vs West Village. South Bronx vs Upper East Side. East LA vs Beverly Hills.

And instead of "diversifying" well establised and highly desireable Manhattan neighborhoods why not diversity poorer neighborhoods like Bed Stuy and East Harlem with these middle/working-class candidates for affordable housing? Oh that's right, it's not good enough for them.

I find it hard to believe Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Midtown, Tribeca, etc are in more dire needs of being transformed into "healthier and happier environments" than Bed Stuy and East Harlem, LOL.

Last edited by drizzyy; 12-12-2010 at 07:22 PM..

Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,977,718 times
Quote:
This is a small part of the reason.The bigger part is that economy requires an army of low wage workers to function and low wage workers are not willing to travel an hour or more each way each day for an $10.00/hr job.It's not rational.

If you are going to live on an island and expect people to work in your grocery stores and clean your offices at night you are going to have to put up with those workers living on the same island or be willing to pay them a lot more. It's a lot better for corporate America's profits to have their servant,the government,provide affordable housing than to pay higher wages.

OP,you don't have to be envious of those who get affordable housing because you can get it too.All you have to do is resign yourself to a life of low wages and put on a smock or some other kind of uniform,maybe a clip on tie and some kind of cap and work behind a deli counter at a supermarket.If you don't want to deal with the public you could clean offices at night or empty bed pans in a hospital.

They even have affordable housing in the Hamptons( and on Nantucket)since you mentioned it ,except they call it workforce housing there.Every municipality on the East End has it. It serves the same purpose there as here...so that there is someone behind the deli counter when Lizzie Grubman wants her Boar's Head cold cuts and so there are people to shovel guacomole into containers at Citarella so there is plenty there when the rich people pull up in their Fiat's, Mercedes' and BMW's.

Jealous? You can go and live in The Hamptons in workforce housing if you want.These jobs are especially fun when someone like Lizzie Grubman rips you a new hole because the ham was not sliced thin enough.

Personally,I'm not envious at all of people who get affordable housing.I'd rather be making more money and I don't want to be doing the kinds of things a lot of them do.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
Housing is necessary yes, and there is plenty of (market rate) affordable housing in Bronx and Queens....
There is a problem because it is virtually impossible to find an apartment even in The Bronx for less than 800/mo and landlords will not rent you that 800/mo apartment unless you make 32,000/yr.That comes to 16.00/hr minimum.
Businesses will not pay 16.00/hr for the menial jobs that are required to keep the economy functioning.

Would you like to propose to corporate NY that the NYC minimum wage be 16.00/hr?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 PM

769 posts, read 2,043,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
What's the point of some new luxury buildings in Manhattan offering "affordable housing" to some while everyone else pays $3,000+ market rate in the same building?

Isn't there affordable housing in Bronx and Queens?

I can't afford a new Rolls Royce drophead coupe, will Rolls Royce Motorcars subsidize my purchase? I can't afford a $20mm estate in East Hampton, why am I not offered "affordable summer housing" on Georgica Pond?
Where exactly are these new luxury buildings in Manhattan offering affordable housing? And are you sure it's not just some advertising ploy saying that their rents are lower than other luxury buildings or is it truly subsidized housing?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,277,547 times
Quote:
Exactly...the Law of Compensation. Also "affordable housing" is not a euphemism for poor and low-class. It's just a term to describe a segment of available housing that is being offered at a percentage below the market rate. If a luxury bldg. is offering 2br apts at the market rate of $3000/mo then an "affordable housing" rate for a 2br apt in the same bldg might go for 20% below market rate...or $2400/mo. Not really something a "poor" person can handle. FWIW...I think the term "affordable housing" is sort of a misnomer as all people should live in housing that they can afford...who would want to live in unaffordable housing??

Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Where exactly are these new luxury buildings in Manhattan offering affordable housing? And are you sure it's not just some advertising ploy saying that their rents are lower than other luxury buildings or is it truly subsidized housing?
There are a few complexes that have been built in Manhattan in the last 5 or 10 years that have a certain number of units set aside for "affordable housing." The number is miniscule however,usually less than 10% of the units and most of them were built in Harlem.
The overwhelming majority of "affordable housing" units have been built and continue to be built in The Bronx.
I strongly suspect the OP is really just trying to stir it up.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-12-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 12-12-2010, 07:53 PM

769 posts, read 2,043,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There are a few complexes that have been built in Manhattan in the last 5 or 10 years that have a certain number of units set aside for "affordable housing" The number is miniscule however,usually less than 10% of the units and most of them were built in Harlem.
The overwhelming majority of "affordable housing" units have been built and continue to be built in The Bronx.
I strongly suspect the OP is really just trying to stir it up.
Agreed. I know none of the "luxury" buildings I went to in downtown and midtown have affordable housing. So it must be the ones in Harlem.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Agreed. I know none of the "luxury" buildings I went to in downtown and midtown have affordable housing. So it must be the ones in Harlem.

You've go to be joking.

Most new buildings in Midtown West offer affordable housing for those who qualify.

I've even looked at a building in Tribeca of all places that had to offer affordable housing (88 Leonard Street) because of some political deal regarding bonds. There was even a protest In front of the building because they didn't offer enough affordable housng.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: