Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:21 AM

18 posts, read 72,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMarie10 View Post
Human beings are meant to be around nature
The Catskill Mountains are less than three hours away, the Adirondacks between six and seven. Even nearby on Long Island, you can lose yourself in the Pine Barrens or, through much of the year, on near-empty beaches of places like Napeague Harbor. New Jersey, Sullivan County, Bear Mountain.... on and on are places within a couple hours drive where "nature" is easily accessible.

Too often people who come to NYC are myopic about it, and think that they're in the "big city" and that's all they have to rely on. But look around you; we're in one of the most naturally diverse areas of the country. New York State itself is amazing in the ecological variety it has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 06:51 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,296 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. NYC would be a better place if it wasn't so gentrified. I never really understood why some people actually thought it would be better if Times Square was the way it was back in the day. But that's the NYC I miss now that I think about it enough. I liked it gritty and minus the snob appeal.
There are plenty of 'gritty' places left. Sometimes you just have to leave Manhattan.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:30 PM

72 posts, read 150,052 times
Maybe so, but it's still not the NYC I knew. But the whole country is in the dumps, so I guess that makes sense?

Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Human beings are meant to be around nature and when you remove them for it for too long they become unhappy
Human beings are equally meant to be in cities. That aspect is apart of our make-up aswell. Been like that since ancient mesopotamia

Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
eff the haters man

maui's overrated

Old 12-27-2010, 09:03 PM

68 posts, read 125,981 times
NYC is a brutal place to live, work and raise children. NYC will chew you up and spit you out. It doesnt care. Its cold and indifferent. I am a native new yorker. Everything is difficult here. Parking, shopping, driving, getting a driver license. You would figure that NYC wants people to shop so they should incentivize it. NO, if you park at a meter, 1 minute after the meter expires you have a 95 dollar ticket. Same thing for getting your car towed. yeah i had decent experiences here, but just living is a lot better elsewhere. Go across the river to NJ or CT or even more to the mid west.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM

22 posts, read 63,644 times
NYC has plenty to hate about it. The antidote is having some lovely little corner to call one's own. With that out of the way, there are 100 adventures down every street.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:31 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
We live in the city that comes as close to perfect as possible. What other city in the nation has the vibrancy to match NYC and at the same time has getaway spots like Staten Island or Long Island for those wanting things to be slower?
NYC is far from perfect! - It's this kind of rose colored glasses ignorance that pisses me off like NYC is some modern day Utopia....I wish people were more realistic on NYC maybe then life would be better for all of us...

While I love all of the conveninces and amenties that the city has to offer and they are WORLD CLASS...Its gone down hill from the 90's NYC which I absoloutely loved....

NYC has always been expensive city - YES - but now its gotten down right gouging expensive and wages haven't kept up with the excessive COL here...

There is NO MIDDLE CLASS in this CITY...YOU'RE RICH OR POOR period point blank NO SUGAR COATING IT.... If you consider youself working middle class sorry you're amongst the Paycheck2Paycheck POOR!

Insane Rents, Slumlords that charge premium rent for crummy rat infested apartments, people forced to live in poposturous Roommating situations.

The Most Corrupt State and City governments one has ever seen to cause incrediably high TAXES on Working Class wages....Did you know NYC Residents are the most OVERTAXED people in the nation???? So much for the "Perfect City".....

Filthly, Unreliable, Broke, Money Sucking Transit System...plauged with constant fare increases and service cuts.

I could go on, but I think people get the picture....I dont hate NYC, but I'm definitenly growing tired of it all...This is no way for people earning 50-60-70-80k a year to have to live...

LIVING IN NYC and VISTING NYC are 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT WORLDS....Until you've lived here for considerable amount of time you have NO IDEA of the "REAL NYC"...Its all fun and hollywood for the vistors, for the residents it can be anything but...

Old 12-28-2010, 09:39 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
NYC is far from perfect! - It's this kind of rose colored glasses ignorance that pisses me off like NYC is some modern day Utopia....I wish people were more realistic on NYC maybe then life would be better for all of us...

While I love all of the conveninces and amenties that the city has to offer and they are WORLD CLASS...Its gone down hill from the 90's NYC which I absoloutely loved....

NYC has always been expensive city - YES - but now its gotten down right gouging expensive and wages haven't kept up with the excessive COL here...

There is NO MIDDLE CLASS in this CITY...YOU'RE RICH OR POOR period point blank NO SUGAR COATING IT.... If you consider youself working middle class sorry you're amongst the Paycheck2Paycheck POOR!

Insane Rents, Slumlords that charge premium rent for crummy rat infested apartments, people forced to live in poposturous Roommating situations.

The Most Corrupt State and City governments one has ever seen to cause incrediably high TAXES on Working Class wages....Did you know NYC Residents are the most OVERTAXED people in the nation???? So much for the "Perfect City".....

Filthly, Unreliable, Broke, Money Sucking Transit System...plauged with constant fare increases and service cuts.

I could go on, but I think people get the picture....I dont hate NYC, but I'm definitenly growing tired of it all...This is no way for people earning 50-60-70-80k a year to have to live...

LIVING IN NYC and VISTING NYC are 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT WORLDS....Until you've lived here for considerable amount of time you have NO IDEA of the "REAL NYC"...Its all fun and hollywood for the vistors, for the residents it can be anything but...
I thought u were from pa?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Much of this is true. Few places in the country sport a gulf between the have's and the have-not's as wide as it is in NY and it's definitely not Utopia. You take the good with the bad wherever you live though. Ask almost anyone who leaves NYC for "greener pastures" if they miss it at all, and they almost universally will agree they do, so there's obviously something less tangible than cheap rents and other line items that drive it's appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City