Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:

i have a small sized one bedroom apt. not sure about sq. footage. i paid $600
for jan and feb. electricity charges. i was a fool for using so much electric
heat.
Only one bit of advice: with electric resistance heat that you pay for...MOVE.

I had it for years and eventually switched to the gas stove for heat, in a "LUXURY" apartment. Never again would I put up with electric heat...PERIOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
I moved into (in November 2014) an all electric condo and I love the apartment, but the electric heat is awful. It never feels really warm and the hot water runs out quick too. And so expensive. Last month my bill was $475 and that was not even running it a lot, for a one bedroom. Neighbors of mine had bill for $1000!!!

This might be the reason I move again, all electric stinks, especially when you are dealing with ConEd.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:05 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i finally started writing a record of electricity bills during the past months. notice that my bills actually drop enormously during summer even with the ac running. in winter, the heaters (electric heater) are very costly as coned goes the mafia route and plays its price gouging game by raising rates dramatically. see the rates per kwh:

con ed electric bill <snip>

mar - supply 504 kWh @8.17 c/kWh = 41.18
delivery 504 kWh @10.77 c/kWh = 54.30
plus all other charges = total electricity charges = 130.77

i have a small sized one bedroom apt. not sure about sq. footage. i paid $600 for jan and feb. electricity charges. i was a fool for using so much electric heat.
I'm looking at my March 2015 Con Ed bill (March 12 meter reading) and these are my charges:
Supply - 15.59 c/kWh
Delivery - 11.41 c/kWh

Why would my supply charges be almost twice yours? I'm assuming we both live in NYC.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I'm looking at my March 2015 Con Ed bill (March 12 meter reading) and these are my charges:
Supply - 15.59 c/kWh
Delivery - 11.41 c/kWh

Why would my supply charges be almost twice yours? I'm assuming we both live in NYC.

Could be the result of a sliding scale depending on usage, could be type of service, or it could be a different supplier (not everyone chooses Con-Ed.)
What was your TOTAL cost, (the check you sent to Con-Ed) and your usage in Kwhr's?

Quote:

I'm looking at my March 2015 Con Ed bill (March 12 meter reading) and these
are my charges:
Martin, that's your February bill and that might explain the difference. If you look at HairyGuy's February supply cost, $.1590, it is almost identical to yours.
Con-Ed kicks the spit out of you every February.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Could be the result of a sliding scale depending on usage, could be type of service, or it could be a different supplier.

Martin, that's your February bill and that might explain the difference. If you look at HairyGuy's February supply cost, $.1590, it is almost identical to yours.
Con-Ed kicks the spit out of you every February.
I'm not aware of any sliding scale. There's nothing on the bill or mailings that describe anything about a sliding scale on usage. Con Ed supplies my electricity.

My billing period spreads over parts of two months so I don't have a bill by calendar month. If my next bill which I should receive in a day or two is for 8 cents a kWh that would be great.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I moved into (in November 2014) an all electric condo and I love the apartment, but the electric heat is awful. It never feels really warm and the hot water runs out quick too. And so expensive. Last month my bill was $475 and that was not even running it a lot, for a one bedroom. Neighbors of mine had bill for $1000!!!

This might be the reason I move again, all electric stinks, especially when you are dealing with ConEd.
Electric heating is inefficient, I had this debate with a co-worker who is all electric in his house. He pays $400/month in electrical bill and he considers that normal. Of course he had to pay a lot to get an electricial to fix his circuit problem and that was in the middle of winter he could've damaged his water pipes if they all freeze.

Never depend on a single energy source to power all your necessities.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Electric heating is inefficient, I had this debate with a co-worker who is all electric in his house. He pays $400/month in electrical bill and he considers that normal. Of course he had to pay a lot to get an electricial to fix his circuit problem and that was in the middle of winter he could've damaged his water pipes if they all freeze.

Never depend on a single energy source to power all your necessities.
I agree....and now I know why people warned me against this place...even though it's a very nice building, but the electric bills are way too high. My electric and gas combined wasn't this much in all my other places.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:40 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I switched all my lightbulbs to these low led something or other, they look like regular light bulbs, but they were 30 bucks a pop. We got them at a better price from the office as we all bought them, anyway, i didnt think there would really be a difference in my electric bill as it was always in the high 70's, but the last few months it was bill the high 40's, so Im thinking that maybe it did make a difference. My kitchen has 4 bulbs that stays on till midnight every night, as does my bathroom, I dont like turning lights on and off all the time so i leave them on.

something for everyone to think about.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:49 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Over the yrs i have told people on this forum to use certain types of light bulbs and to you kefir that my never reaches $50. I have an almost 900sf 2br we always shut off lights when not at home. Lights usually in kitchen/living room and then 1br stay on from 5pm-2/3am.
We don't have a dishwasher or washer and dryer (people don't realize how much power that actually takes up)we have 2 huge screen tvs, blu Ray players and 3 laptops.

We consider ourselves lucky, then again it can also depend on the area you live in lol. Maybe con ed charges more depending on your zip code.

Here are my bill statements since 2013:
Attached Thumbnails
How much should a Con Edison bill be?-image.jpg  

Old 04-16-2015, 07:54 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I switched all my lightbulbs to these low led something or other, they look like regular light bulbs, but they were 30 bucks a pop. We got them at a better price from the office as we all bought them, anyway, i didnt think there would really be a difference in my electric bill as it was always in the high 70's, but the last few months it was bill the high 40's, so Im thinking that maybe it did make a difference. My kitchen has 4 bulbs that stays on till midnight every night, as does my bathroom, I dont like turning lights on and off all the time so i leave them on.

something for everyone to think about.
If you have a Costco membership go to the one in Westbury, LI. The LED bulbs there have the LIPA rebate built in. They're usually about $4 a bulb after the instant rebate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City