Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:17 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,916 times

Advertisements

My management company is being very difficult with me. they are taking way too long to get back with subleasing terms and wanting me to find a tenant that will pay 1200 for a studio that i only pay 1030 for. If i was to leave on the 1st of the month and let them keep my security deposit for that months rent what are the chances of the management company suing me? I feel like they are making it very difficult for me to do the right thing so i have no other choice. it is a 1 year lease that would be up 7/31. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 AM

979 posts, read 4,458,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
My management company is being very difficult with me. they are taking way too long to get back with subleasing terms and wanting me to find a tenant that will pay 1200 for a studio that i only pay 1030 for. If i was to leave on the 1st of the month and let them keep my security deposit for that months rent what are the chances of the management company suing me? I feel like they are making it very difficult for me to do the right thing so i have no other choice. it is a 1 year lease that would be up 7/31. thanks
Next to zero chance of suing you. The one thing you have left to offer is a one page agreement declaring the lease between you and them null and void as of such and such date. That gives them immediate possession with no further expense.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Next to zero chance of suing you. The one thing you have left to offer is a one page agreement declaring the lease between you and them null and void as of such and such date. That gives them immediate possession with no further expense.
in the lease it states i am responsible for rent if i leave until it is rerented. so i am scared that if they cant rent it for 3 months that they will sue me for 2 months rent and i have no money to pay it. if most management companies accept the loss and dont wanna be bothered with court than thats good for me. im hoping thats the case?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM

979 posts, read 4,458,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
in the lease it states i am responsible for rent if i leave until it is rerented. so i am scared that if they cant rent it for 3 months that they will sue me for 2 months rent and i have no money to pay it. if most management companies accept the loss and dont wanna be bothered with court than thats good for me. im hoping thats the case?
That's pretty much the case. There's no reason why they would leave it vacant in order to justify suing you for the remainder of the lease. It would cost them thousands to initiate the suit against you not to mention the time needed to wind it's way through court and even with a judgment in their favor there is no guarantee that they can collect a dime from you. It would be foolish for the management company to recommend to the owner wasting resources on a long shot such as this.
Still I would go to them and offer to vacate legally. Ignore their sputtering threats and offer to release them from the lease with no further consequences to either party.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,035 times
They'll probably just hold your security deposit. They can't sue you for what you don't have.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:02 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,261 times
what about if the lease states something about being held accountable for any legal actions? I trying not to break my lease but i hate my current place. My lease ends in august.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM

106,696 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
That's pretty much the case. There's no reason why they would leave it vacant in order to justify suing you for the remainder of the lease. It would cost them thousands to initiate the suit against you not to mention the time needed to wind it's way through court and even with a judgment in their favor there is no guarantee that they can collect a dime from you. It would be foolish for the management company to recommend to the owner wasting resources on a long shot such as this.
Still I would go to them and offer to vacate legally. Ignore their sputtering threats and offer to release them from the lease with no further consequences to either party.
they will most likely try to sue you for lost rent right up until they get another tenant. while the burdeon is not on them to find you a replacement as they have no responsibility to get you out of the lease its in their own best interest to do so. while its a slam dunk for them getting a judgement and really requires no effort it takes even more effort to dunn your pay check or most likely they will get nothing from you on your own..

Old 02-27-2011, 04:05 PM
grant516

n/a posts
I'd be more afraid of them reporting to credit agencies about a break of contract and thus some amount of payment owed.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:10 PM

106,696 posts, read 108,880,922 times
that always is possible.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,680 times
Can I be sued for breaking a lease 15 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City