Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 PM

38 posts, read 151,051 times

Advertisements

Hi:

My family of four (2 adults/2 teens) will be staying at a motel in Hackensack, and heading into the City on Tuesday, 7/17, and probably again on the 18th or 19th. (We are on a very, very tight budget, and figured it would be cheaper to stay in NJ, and take the bus into the City.) Then we'll take the subway everywhere we need to - not a Taxi.

We want to get discount tickets at TKTS for a play or musical on or off Broadway. Anyway, my husband insists that it's not safe to ride the subway after 10 PM going from on/off Broadway to the Port Authority, where we'd take the #165 to Hackensack back to our hotel.

He calls 10 o'clock in NY "late at night." I call it early. I would think it's perfectly safe to ride the subway at that time. He thinks we're taking our lives into our hands and that we should take a taxi. What's the concensus here?

Also any tips on saving money on bus and subway tickets????

Thanks,
Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:02 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,850,058 times
No, 10:00PM is NOT late, and you'll be fine on the subway. Of course, Port Authority is right there at 42nd Street, so would you even need to go underground to get there? If you're concerned about the subway, why not just bus it? Check out the MTA Manhattan bus map (www. mta.info) for full details.

And Port Authority, itself, is a VERY busy place and will still be bustling and quite safe that time of night.

Oh -- and the MTA site has info on MetroCards. If you put $10.00 on a card, you get $12.00 worth of rides (6 for the price of 5), which may be your best bet. (www. mta.info .metrocard/compare.htm)

Old 07-12-2007, 06:03 PM

10 posts, read 88,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary.Ray View Post
Hi:

My family of four (2 adults/2 teens) will be staying at a motel in Hackensack, and heading into the City on Tuesday, 7/17, and probably again on the 18th or 19th. (We are on a very, very tight budget, and figured it would be cheaper to stay in NJ, and take the bus into the City.) Then we'll take the subway everywhere we need to - not a Taxi.

We want to get discount tickets at TKTS for a play or musical on or off Broadway. Anyway, my husband insists that it's not safe to ride the subway after 10 PM going from on/off Broadway to the Port Authority, where we'd take the #165 to Hackensack back to our hotel.

He calls 10 o'clock in NY "late at night." I call it early. I would think it's perfectly safe to ride the subway at that time. He thinks we're taking our lives into our hands and that we should take a taxi. What's the concensus here?

Also any tips on saving money on bus and subway tickets????

Thanks,
Mary
Mary,
your husband is little over protective, but he is incorrect. Subways are fine, Manhattan especially, it is a mode of transportation of everyone, and when something does happen once a year, all newspapers are talking about it on frontpages for weeks. So you would be fine. Outside manhattan too , just stay away from the very end on the 3 train in east NY, and local C train in brooklyn.
To save on ticke3ts, get in any metrocard machine one day passes for $7

Old 07-12-2007, 06:16 PM

314 posts, read 493,575 times
I have a more conservative take than ^. first, port authority isn't a great area. there is free clinic and housing shelter over there, and bus stations in any city are usually in more run down parts. having said that, it is safe...just stay aware of your surroundings and try to not draw any more attention to yourselves than you will by volition of being a tourist. if you are using the train as your mode of transportation, you'll be fine in most parts of manhattan (stay away from all parts of harlem and above and the lower east side after 11) during the day and night. second, sqeezeboxgal is right when she writes that 10 pm is not late. many people in the city do not even go out until 11. finally, my main question is, why are you choosing to visit the most expensive city in the U.S for food, drinks, entertainment, etc. at a time when your family is on a 'very, very tight budget.' things in nyc cost money, especially if you are trying to 'do the new york thing' that most tourists want to do. i would save my money until i had enough to visit and have fun without straining my finances.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:18 PM

I know this is going to be a stupid question, but does the MetroCard apply to both the bus and the subway???

Mary

Old 07-12-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
finally, my main question is, why are you choosing to visit the most expensive city in the U.S for food, drinks, entertainment, etc. at a time when your family is on a 'very, very tight budget.' things in nyc cost money, especially if you are trying to 'do the new york thing' that most tourists want to do. i would save my money until i had enough to visit and have fun without straining my finances.
To answer your question, we're coming to NJ for a family wedding and since we'll be so close to the City, we feel we won't get this opportunity again for a very long time. The kids are at a point that visiting NY would be much more exciting than hanging around Bergen County. As for the tight budget, well, we'll survive. We just need to make it as inexpensive as we possibly can. Thanks for the advice though. I kinda wish I could follow it.

Mary

Old 07-12-2007, 06:27 PM

10 posts, read 88,513 times
Quote:
I know this is going to be a stupid question, but does the MetroCard apply to both the bus and the subway???

Mary
Yes it covers both. you can check
MTA Home Page

if you are a tourist, get yourselves all-day metrocards for 7 dollars

Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM

52 posts, read 217,961 times
Quote:

Mary
Yes.

There are alot of Police in Midtown, so you will be fine at 10pm. Your husband isn't overprotective, he's sensible. If you are out beyond sunset you are spending money; period. There's nothing to look at other than Times Square. Bars, restaraunts, shows, etc all cost money.

This city is VERY expensive.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 PM

Another probably stupid question. Will the MetroCard work going in and out of NY from NJ? Or is that going to be a totally separate deal?

Mary

Old 07-12-2007, 10:09 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,850,058 times
Quote:
Another probably stupid question. Will the MetroCard work going in and out of NY from NJ? Or is that going to be a totally separate deal?

Mary
The MetroCard is only for NYC transit -- NJ Transit is a separate fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: