Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 PM

19 posts, read 73,060 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job in New York in late February/early March and was hoping to be all moved in and somewhat settled before starting work. I was trying to make it to New York by the last week of January to give myself plenty of time to do all this, but because of current obligations, it looks like I won't be able to make it there until the 2nd or possibly even 3rd week of February.

First of all, is this a "bad" time of the month to be apartment hunting? I imagine it's best to go at the end or very beginning of a month instead of smack in the middle of a month. Will all the places I see either be March 1st move-ins OR immediate availabilities that have been on the market for a while but that nobody else wanted? Or should there be plenty of good options no matter what time of the month I'm looking?

Also, it looks like I'd only have about 2 weeks or so to find a place and move in - do you think this should be enough time? I won't be working during this time so I'll (presumably) be devoting 100% of my time to finding a place...

For reference, I'm looking to find a studio or one-bedroom in Chelsea for about $2500-3000/month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:20 AM

769 posts, read 2,054,216 times
Your lease usually needs to start within 2 weeks of the day you submit the application and mid month move-ins aren't usually a problem. I had the same issue- 2 weeks to find a place and move in. I only spent a few days in NY looking but I saw over 20 apartments. I got the lease mailed to me once I was approved. Where are you moving from? I had a great broker and that helped a lot. Best of all the landlord paid the fee.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 PM

newyorker24 - thanks for the response! Who was your broker? I'm originally from the U.S., but I've been living abroad for the past 2-3 years. I lived in New York briefly several years ago but always had roommates... I've never signed a lease there on my own.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:20 PM

174 posts, read 415,669 times
Hi There,

We moved into the UWS about 4 weeks ago and it took 2 weeks. One thing is to also see if you can get fee free. Originally the place we have now is lovely and it did have a fee but we knocked it back and continued looking.They called us back and offered it to us fee free.
Apparently its becoming quite common now here in the UWS.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 PM

I sent you a message with the broker's information.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 AM

Thank you, newyorker24! I was wondering if anyone else had any experiences trying to find and move into an apartment in the middle of a month rather than at the beginning or end of a month?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:25 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,601,591 times
Well personally I don't feel there's a better/bad/best time of the month to look because as far as I know, you can request prorated rent for partial months. I remember once I asked for permission to move into a place 10 days early and assured the LL I'd pay the value of those 10 days in addition to first month's rent. The LL agreed so I assume what we did was legal.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM

I moved in mid month. You will have to pay the pro-rated rent for the move in month, full rent for the next month, and a security deposit (plus broker's fee if applicable). Some landlord require leases to start on the 15th and 1st only. Mine did not.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:26 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,449,010 times
like NewYorker24 i went with a broker and when i did the first meeting with her i told her what i wanted in a place along with what i did not want in the place and she told me to give her a day and she would have something for me to look at and the next morning we went and looked at four apts a day for about three days that in the areas i wanted along with she did help me with the paperwork at the office and we had it cleared by end of the one day

the one apt i really liked i thought i would not get because of me answering a question that was put to me by the owner but i did get the apt ..so iam pretty happy about that part..

Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 PM

72 posts, read 262,948 times
Best time is during winter months at the beginning of each month, that's when properties enter the market after previous tenants move out. There are obviously apartments available later, but the best crop is in the low digits of each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: