Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times

Advertisements

I miss the Staten Island of old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
sort of o/t but i heard the 7 train (flushing to times sq subway) is going to be extended to secaucus new jersey. i just find it so weird. in all my decades here the subway has never gone into nj. something about chris christie giving up and bloomberg swooping in

Old 03-08-2011, 04:57 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
sort of o/t but i heard the 7 train (flushing to times sq subway) is going to be extended to secaucus new jersey. i just find it so weird. in all my decades here the subway has never gone into nj. something about chris christie giving up and bloomberg swooping in
Bloomberg recently touted the idea of the 7 going to NJ but hell will freeze over before it happens.The 7 train is a line of the New York City Transit Authority and all NYCTA trains end at (or before) the city line.
Not only is Secaucus not in NYC,it's in another state and that complicates things even further.
There may at some time in the distant future be a rail line from Secaucus to the West Side where people could get off the train and transfer to the 7 train but the trans Hudson link would most likely be operated by The Port Authority (PATH) and transfer would not be free.

You and I will both be long gone before this happens.There is an outside chance we will live to see the 2nd ave subway line completed but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:30 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
The MTA themselves never took the idea seriously. Its a joke. What benefit did it have to nyc residents?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:26 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Its not relax...the Gateway plan cancels it out...bending it to Penn station..

Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 PM

86 posts, read 306,730 times
Anyway I can see why people hate that island, or wanting to give it to NJ rant. The Island doesn't have a good amount of mass transit. Besides the buses that comes every 30 minutes, and the Ferry that runs every 45 minutes, and sometimes not at all with the railroad that goes nowhere you can most certainly see the complaints. Improving mass transit would most certainly help the island, and I can see it is a must.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
The state of New Jersey has spent most of the last 60+ years (since World War II ended) planning and plotting to take whatever it could get from New York. Our taxpayers, our businesses, our sports teams--you name it. If it was east of the Hudson, Trenton wanted it. So I think it would be absolutely hilarious if someone put a referendum on the ballot in Jersey City to secede from that state and become our sixth borough.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The state of New Jersey has spent most of the last 60+ years (since World War II ended) planning and plotting to take whatever it could get from New York. Our taxpayers, our businesses, our sports teams--you name it. If it was east of the Hudson, Trenton wanted it. So I think it would be absolutely hilarious if someone put a referendum on the ballot in Jersey City to secede from that state and become our sixth borough.
Pretty much.

Jersey has been and still is- leeching off of new york

Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The state of New Jersey has spent most of the last 60+ years (since World War II ended) planning and plotting to take whatever it could get from New York. Our taxpayers, our businesses, our sports teams--you name it. If it was east of the Hudson, Trenton wanted it.
It's called competition. All 50 states engage in it (including NY).

Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
It's called competition. All 50 states engage in it (including NY).
Indeed so. When Phase II of the Coney Island renovation plan goes into effect, there will basically be no need to go to Six Flags--we'll have a state of the art amusement district right here--I mean to say, a year-round amusement district--that you can get to by subway. Fuhgeddabout those tolls on the Garden State! And believe me, you'll be able to stand on the Boardwalk and hear them screaming about it all the way over in the State House in Trenton. (Jersey never appreciates New York standing up for itself!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City