Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:59 AM

18,366 posts, read 31,455,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Are you serious, or is there something here you're not telling us? It's a TV... your neighbor has the right to watch it whenever they please.

No, you are wrong. Everyone can watch TV whenever they want, but not to a volume that is disturbing to other neighbors.
if the person is hard of hearing, then get earphones.

Apartment dwellers have to remember that just because they are up at 3am, doesn't mean anyone else is.

They should have classes on apartment dwelling, and a crash course in consideration for other tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:08 AM

13,616 posts, read 20,669,541 times
Another possibility. When I lived in NY, Channel 11 news did a story on this that featured a woman who could hear her neighbors TV. A sound guy fitted the TV with speakers that restricted its sound to those in the immediate area of the TV itself.

Of course, I assume the TV owner was cooperative. If yours is, you could always spring for such a setup.

If not, prepare for trench warfare. In my experience, moving becomes the best option.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 AM

756 posts, read 2,272,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
No, you are wrong. Everyone can watch TV whenever they want, but not to a volume that is disturbing to other neighbors.
if the person is hard of hearing, then get earphones.
Right, but the OP hasn't even approached their neighbor directly about it. Sorry, but I don't think a passive-aggressive call to the police/311 is the way to go when you can knock on a door and speak to someone face to face.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 AM

340 posts, read 1,182,299 times
i play my music on my little computer speakers which do not go extremely loud cuz there small computer speakers...the retards who live next door to me constantly bang on my walls and its not even loud...in my other apt i used to blast music 10x louder and never had one problem...yesterday they got me so pissed i ran into the hallway and started screaming and cursing at the top of my lungs and was ready to bang on their face the way they bang on my walls...well nobody came out so i went back in and played my music even louder and all the banging stopped...what im trying to say is if u live in a building expect some noise or go buy a house in the woods where u can have peace and quiet. this is nyc not south dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: