Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,532,424 times

Advertisements

"sure, brooklyn will be more urban and accessible than our current location, but is it reasonable to expect:
* rent ~$2000 for comparable place"

if you are going to look at certain outer parts of brooklyn - say Mill Basin, Sheepshead bay, etc - it actually wouldnt be much more urban or accessible than S arlington. You could even find a spot almost far from the subway as S arlington is from the metro, and unlike S arlington, you dont get an equivalent of I395. OTOH I would find those nabes mostly more attractive than S arlington, but then I AM brooklyn born. Areas in NYC that probably more physically resemble S arlington, would be in Queens. But thats not a logical location for you geographically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 PM

13 posts, read 26,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother8 View Post
like the OP, i'm considering a move from the DC metro area to brooklyn. my wife and i (plus a 50lb terrier/lab mix) currently live in a duplex in south arlington, have a small backyard, laundry, and pay about $1600. we don’t live an extravagant lifestyle – dinner with friends is preferable over club nights – and i’m finishing my ph.d. while working full-time, so our time and money is definitely spent on quality over quantity.

my wife is self-employed so she needs dedicated office space (meaning 1bdrm + den or 2bdrm, minimum) and the job i'm looking at is in DUMBO. we're open to most of the brooklyn nabes and don't expect luxury or a homogeneous community. sure, brooklyn will be more urban and accessible than our current location, but is it reasonable to expect:
* rent ~$2000 for comparable place

* groceries will be +30%
* eating out will be... more variable (in dc you get middling-to-great food for middling-to-expensive prices)

my question ultimately is... will a 30% salary increase allow a similar lifestyle when moving from brooklyn to DC?

is that high or low?
what other changes can I expect?

I was actually just up in the ny area to visit my fiance's family. They live out in queens. We definately ruled that out (which we kind of figured - it was too far and we don't want to live too close to her family). We have been pricing out some places and we even spoke to a broker while we were there and 2000 is reasonable for what you and I are looking for.

We spent the weekend checking out nabes that we though we'd like. We have narrowed it down to fort greene, clinton hill, and areas north and west of park slope. I suggest going up at least once or twice before you go and make sure to drive around the areas you are considering at night (that helped us rule out a few areas).

Hope this helped (maybe we will run into each other either here or there).

Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 AM

19 posts, read 50,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
HOW DARE YOU! WHAT IS WRONG WITH HANGING AN AMERICAN FLAG IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE? It's much better than seeing these horrible flags of carribean and central American countries. You should be ashamed that you imply that such a display of pride is a negative.
Why is it horrible for them to display their flags?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City