Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 26,740 times

Advertisements

My fiancé just got offered a job for the city of new york as a criminal prosecutor and will be starting sometime in 2011. More than likely it will be during the summer time. Currently we live in Northern Virginia right outside of DC. I want to know what neighborhoods would be most like where we live now. We live in a 2 bedroom townhouse in Alexandria, VA. We have a private backyard. I understand that I won't find a lot of places with private back yards, but I am curious about the neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens. We were thinking about Park slope, prospect heights, Williamsburg, bushwick, and others in and around those areas. What neighborhoods would be good for a young, interracial couple with a dog? We are currently paying 1400 for rent where we live, but I have been seeing similar sized apartments for a few hundred dollars more.

Any help we could get with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rdewire; 12-21-2010 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,989 times
For Queens I would suggest you look into Forest Hills and Bayside.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Because you said young interracial couple with a dog, Fort Greene immediately jumped to my mind. For reasons unknown to me, there's a hard-to-explain admirable vibe of racial harmony in Fort Greene. I've noticed this for many years and I don't think it's my imagination. Anyone else agree? I don't live in FG nor do I want to, but if I had to to move out of my current apartment, I'd consider FG as a top 10 choice.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:17 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
For Queens, I would suggest Forest Hills, Rego Park & Kew Gardens.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Queens - Ridgewood, Middle Village, Maspeth, Rego Park, or a little further east (District 26 is the best Public School District in NYC) - Glen Oaks, Floral Park, Bellerose.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Because you said young interracial couple with a dog, Fort Greene immediately jumped to my mind. For reasons unknown to me, there's a hard-to-explain admirable vibe of racial harmony in Fort Greene. I've noticed this for many years and I don't think it's my imagination. Anyone else agree? I don't live in FG nor do I want to, but if I had to to move out of my current apartment, I'd consider FG as a top 10 choice.

I will take a look into that. We never really have an issues with her being black and me being white, but I don't want to live anywhere where it is predominately one or the other. Thanks for the input. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM

OP: I disagree with the poster Ilona who said Maspeth and Middle Village. I think an interracial couple would totally NOT feel comfortable in those neighborhoods. Not one bit. From the few times I've been around there, everyone's blue collar, white as snow and I got a vibe that most there feel "white should marry white". Lots of American flags flown near front doors, etc.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
OP: I disagree with the poster Ilona who said Maspeth and Middle Village. I think an interracial couple would totally NOT feel comfortable in those neighborhoods. Not one bit. From the few times I've been around there, everyone's blue collar, white as snow and I got a vibe that most there feel "white should marry white". Lots of American flags flown near front doors, etc.
I'd say that my fiance is blue collar, but I hear what you are saying.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Aha. I knew it wasn't my imagination. If you read Fort Greene and Clinton Hill | BROOKLYN (the borough) and Moe's Bar & Lounge - Fort Greene - Brooklyn, NY. You'll see the reviews say "diverse" crowd and "diverse" music. Surprisingly the first link doesn't mention the proposed Barclays Center (sports arena south of Fort Greene) which began construction this year. If you deal with an agent who is unaware of the Barclays Center and possible implications for residents of Fort Greene, RUN from that agent as fast as you can.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
You might want to try Jackson Heights in Queens. I think you might be dismayed to see what $1400 or $1700 is going to get you in the nicer Brooklyn nabes. Queens tends to be cheaper. Jackson Heights is generally touted as a very diverse neighborhood. Although the black population is not that large, it seems there are quite a few black/white or black/Asian couples.

Besides diversity of language and country of origin, there are also many gay people. The transportation is good with the E/F/M/R/7 trains (3 stops to Manhattan on the E or F) and there is a pretty good range of shopping in terms of grocery etc. Not a huge amount of nightlife, though, and you will not have a private yard.

You might also consider Astoria and Sunnyside. Those would probably be my top two choices if I were renting in Queens. Astoria has many interesting places to go out (shops/cafes/bars/groceries) and Sunnyside is one of those under-rated gems - quiet, unassuming and close to the city with plenty of amenities. It's possible you could have use of a yard in Astoria if you rented in a private house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City