Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM

16 posts, read 45,899 times

Advertisements

I need some quick cash for last minute Christmas gifts, so I don't have time to sell on Ebay. Where can I take a bag of clothes today (or tomorrow) and get some cash?

Nothing is designer or top name-brand. I have shoes in ladies size 5 and tops from H&M and jeans (tops sizes XS and S and jeans size 0 probably), sweater from Daffy's with the tag still on. All in excellent condition, but still... So I'm guessing because of the sizes I should go to a teen-oriented store?

I was thinking Buffalo Exchange, but I've actually been there before and they wouldn't take my clothes because they said they were too small and they don't take kid's clothes. A little worried to trek over to Brooklyn and have them reject the clothes because none of them are A&F or Marc Jacobs or whatever or that they're too small again. Had to drop everything off at a Salvation Army down the street. Would I have better luck at a children's resale store? Or are my clothes too big for a children's store? Aaahh!!! help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 05:06 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,040,912 times
Save the hassle and just drop it off at your local Salvation Army. Don't get all caught up in the commercialization of Christmas. The world isn't going to end if you don't buy gifts. They will get over it. There are gifts that you can give that don't cost a penny. It's crazy that people will charge thousands on their credit cards on junk for Christmas.

When you get older you will realize what I am talking about.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,970,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Save the hassle and just drop it off at your local Salvation Army. Don't get all caught up in the commercialization of Christmas. The world isn't going to end if you don't buy gifts. They will get over it. There are gifts that you can give that don't cost a penny. It's crazy that people will charge thousands on their credit cards on junk for Christmas.

This it truly great advice !

Old 12-22-2010, 05:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
If you happen to itemize your deductions for taxes, be sure to get a receipt at the Salvation Army and you can deduct the value (what THEY say is the value) of your clothes come tax time.

Plato's Closet is a national resaler that would pay cash on the spot for your H&M and similar items (as long as they're in good condition), but it looks like they don't have any locations in NYC. Closest ones are upstate, if you happen to be going that way for Christmas. Most stores in Manhattan or Brooklyn will be looking for designer items....also most consignment stores pay you after your items sell.

Honestly....you started planning a little late. But at least you're trying to pay cash and not just charge it!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post

The world isn't going to end if I don't buy gifts but I WANT TO buy gifts. I enjoy buying gifts. I'm not charging anything... that's why I want to sell what I have.

If you do not know the names of any resale stores then please save yourself the time and do not answer. Thank you.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you happen to itemize your deductions for taxes, be sure to get a receipt at the Salvation Army and you can deduct the value (what THEY say is the value) of your clothes come tax time.

Plato's Closet is a national resaler that would pay cash on the spot for your H&M and similar items (as long as they're in good condition), but it looks like they don't have any locations in NYC. Closest ones are upstate, if you happen to be going that way for Christmas. Most stores in Manhattan or Brooklyn will be looking for designer items....also most consignment stores pay you after your items sell.

Honestly....you started planning a little late. But at least you're trying to pay cash and not just charge it!
My parents claim me so I don't do taxes myself. And I'm not planning late... I just didn't realize that some friends were giving me gifts until now. So I'm trying to think about what to get them.

But thank you for actually answering my question and providing the name of a store

Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 PM

138 posts, read 372,602 times
i'd say you donate it to some organizations, i just recently donated a whole bunch of clothes of mine because i lost weight to the lupus organization they sent me a tax reciept because i'm filing my taxes alone this year(YAY!!) but i'm glad i sent my clothes to them. you should do the same, but if you really must sell them and need the cash i know of one place in williamsburg called beacon's closet they purchase clothes, i've never done it myself but i hear good/bad things about them good luck

Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM

57 posts, read 196,088 times
Take the sweater back to Daffy's and exchange it for some of their small items, then combine each of those items with something personal such as a drawing or a poem or a photo, and use print ads from old magazines to make your own creative wrapping paper.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Unfortunately the sweater is a gift from 2 years ago! I don't think they would still accept it or I would definitely exchange it for something else.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Sadly I really didn't get the responses that I was looking for and probably will not... It would've been really helpful to me and probably future people searching this board (I know I searched a lot of other people's threads before posting this question).

I know about the benefits of donating to charity-- I often do so but this time I really needed the cash and didn't (I still don't!) know if my clothes would be more readily accepted at a children's resale store vs. a ladies store. I didn't need to be preached at about how Christmas is overcommercialized.

Thank you to TurtleCreek and neongumbo for answering my question! I will have to try Beacon's Closet tomorrow or later in the week.

Answers would still be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City