Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The only blacks who would know about it are ones that are of West Indian ancestry or who have West Indian friends. They all probably came from Wakefield, big deal. In the Bronx proper, it's unknown.

Again, all I see is black people.
you just bragged about seeing shades of different Dominicans and claimed it as diversity but now that you see different shades of blacks its still black to you and no longer diversity?

No offense but i think your a very arrogant and clueless poster. You need to do more research on diversity because its pretty known that the knowledge of diversity in Hispanic countries are of the worst.

And no actually the bronx girl i met at the parade lived right by the Yankees stadium so it isnt just wakefield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
jamaicans have higher incomes and graduation rates then Dominicans and the whole Hispanic diaspora itself.

And jamaicans live in more thriving neighborhoods then Dominicans also.

southeast queens , canarsie , mill basin , flatlands, and parts of uptown in the bronx look more nice to live in as compared to tenement filled washington heights or western bronx.

White plains road is bad but next time drive more east. White plains area and edenwald are pretty much the bad spots uptown.

Also Dominicans have no right to speak about drug trafficking.
Yeah White Plains Road and the area around it is a wonderful community. You ever wonder why 183rd ST in the BX was so bad? the Jamaicans. No wonder that the key for the DEA to stop drugs was to target the Jamaican cartels.

Find me Jamaican rates by themselves, don't group then with other west Indians. According to this site, New York City Immigrants: The 1990s Wave - Federal Reserve Bank of New York, West Indians combined only graduate slightly higher than Dominicans and the income is not much higher and I bet it is mostly due to Haitians, who do well in the states. So unless you have proof, you are talking nonsense.

Washington Heights has an average crime rate. The West Bronx slightly above average, and that's due to the PR and AA presence in the WBX, which is not only Dominican.

This isn't 1991 anymore. The Dominican community is thriving and doing the right thing nowadays.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
i just send you a video to disprove this.

also i dont get how shades explain diversity? this just proves that some dominicans lack in the knowledge of what diversity is(SAD REALLY).

Like i said before i go each year but you have never been their so just accept that your wrong and we will move on cause its really a waste of time to dispute with something that is clearly known already.

I find your knowledge very questionable if your really going to dispute about a place or event you never been to. Seems like hater status to me.
Did you not see dark people aswell as light people in the DR photos? Did you not see the different phenotypes, some showing more native, Afro, Euro influences? It is you who are clueless on diversity.

Yes stop debating, you're clueless.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah White Plains Road and the area around it is a wonderful community. You ever wonder why 183rd ST in the BX was so bad? the Jamaicans. No wonder that the key for the DEA to stop drugs was to target the Jamaican cartels.

Find me Jamaican rates by themselves, don't group then with other west Indians. According to this site, New York City Immigrants: The 1990s Wave - Federal Reserve Bank of New York, West Indians combined only graduate slightly higher than Dominicans and the income is not much higher and I bet it is mostly due to Haitians, who do well in the states. So unless you have proof, you are talking nonsense.

Washington Heights has an average crime rate. The West Bronx slightly above average, and that's due to the PR and AA presence in the WBX, which is not only Dominican.

This isn't 1991 anymore. The Dominican community is thriving and doing the right thing nowadays.

seems like your non-thinking makes it hard for you to know how to read. I just agreed that white plains road sucks so where you getting wonderful community from? I said drive more east its way calmer on the eastern sides of uptown.

lol are you really talking about 183 in the bronx? i bet 183 in the bronx right now is probably roaming with 3ni right now so please don talk about those parts of the Bronx making jamaicans the issue.

also you need to know what your talking about.

On average west indians do better in school then the whole Hispanic diaspora, and Dominicans alone.

Trinidadians, jamaicans, haitians , Barbadians all on their own do better then Dominicans in school and have a lower drop out rate.

Also supermario please stop generalizing people because every other day a dominican is on the newspaper just like pr and black Americans so why do you keep blaming pr and AAs for your issues?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Both come from the same type of countries what's the difference?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Did you not see dark people aswell as light people in the DR photos? Did you not see the different phenotypes, some showing more native, Afro, Euro influences? It is you who are clueless on diversity.

Yes stop debating, you're clueless.
im clueless? yet you explain diversity as being in a dominican parade(1 ethnic group parade lmao) and have the nerve to speak on something you never been to before

yea speak about clueless. im going to start taking lessons on being smart by you so what ill do is start judging mardi gras in a negative way even though i never been their.

the dominican parade is a dominican parade which is no diversity at all. Thy play dominican music, and cater to the vast majority of dominicans who attend, and that is not diversity. All because they come in different shades doesnt make it diverse. Blacks come in different shades also in fact black people are the most diverse people on this globe. SOO................???

also i dont like using wiki but ill use it for you since im feeling lazy at the moment and since your arrogant i dont want to waste that much time but here goes.

dominicans have the highest poverty rate out of all hispanics acording to the link tagged to this article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispani...tino_Americans - scroll down to the paragraph about poverty. in fact ill post it.

Poverty

According to the ACS,[86] among Hispanic groups the poverty rate is highest among Dominican Americans (28.1 percent), Honduran Americans and Puerto Ricans (23.7 percent both), and Mexican Americans (23.6 percent). It is lowest among South Americans, such as Colombian Americans (10.6 percent) and Peruvian Americans (13.6 percent), and relatively low poverty rates are also found among Salvadoran Americans (15.0 percent) and Cuban Americans (15.2 percent). In comparison, the average poverty rates for non-Hispanic White Americans (8.8 percent)[86] and Asian Americans (7.1 percent) were lower than those of any Hispanic group. African Americans (21.3 percent) have a higher poverty rate than most Hispanic or Latino groups.

now as for west indians this is what i found on the same site to be fair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Indian_American

scroll down to the education stats of the countries listed in that article.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
seems like your non-thinking makes it hard for you to know how to read. I just agreed that white plains road sucks so where you getting wonderful community from? I said drive more east its way calmer on the eastern sides of uptown.

lol are you really talking about 183 in the bronx? i bet 183 in the bronx right now is probably roaming with 3ni right now so please don talk about those parts of the Bronx making jamaicans the issue.

also you need to know what your talking about.

On average west indians do better in school then the whole Hispanic diaspora, and Dominicans alone.

Trinidadians, jamaicans, haitians , Barbadians all on their own do better then Dominicans in school and have a lower drop out rate.

Also supermario please stop generalizing people because every other day a dominican is on the newspaper just like pr and black Americans so why do you keep blaming pr and AAs for your issues?
When I started responding, you added it. I didn't see it at first, but atleast you understand what a hellhole it is.

Yeah 183rd probably has 3ni as well as bloods and kings, so what? The point im trying to make to you is that it's bad reputation came in the late 80's-early 90's when the area was held hostage by these Jamaicans, who showed no remorse, and who left 183rd st an absolute mess of drugs and violence.

You do know that second generation Dominicans have the highest graduation rates of any hispanics in the city? The one's who come fresh off the boat won't be confused for model citizens, but their children usually end up doing well. Also, I hope that you realize that West Indians speak english. So these West Indian immigrants have a huge advantage over Dominicans who can't speak it. It is the 2nd generation who closes the gap, mainly due to the english language. You can't compare english speaking immigrants with spanish speaking ones and expect me to take you seriously.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
im clueless? yet you explain diversity as being in a dominican parade(1 ethnic group parade lmao) and have the nerve to speak on something you never been to before

yea speak about clueless. im going to start taking lessons on being smart by you so what ill do is start judging mardi gras in a negative way even though i never been their.

the dominican parade is a dominican parade which is no diversity at all. Thy play dominican music, and cater to the vast majority of dominicans who attend, and that is not diversity. All because they come in different shades doesnt make it diverse. Blacks come in different shades also in fact black people are the most diverse people on this globe. SOO................???

also i dont like using wiki but ill use it for you since im feeling lazy at the moment and since your arrogant i dont want to waste that much time but here goes.

dominicans have the highest poverty rate out of all hispanics acording to the link tagged to this article.

Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - scroll down to the paragraph about poverty. in fact ill post it.

Poverty

According to the ACS,[86] among Hispanic groups the poverty rate is highest among Dominican Americans (28.1 percent), Honduran Americans and Puerto Ricans (23.7 percent both), and Mexican Americans (23.6 percent). It is lowest among South Americans, such as Colombian Americans (10.6 percent) and Peruvian Americans (13.6 percent), and relatively low poverty rates are also found among Salvadoran Americans (15.0 percent) and Cuban Americans (15.2 percent). In comparison, the average poverty rates for non-Hispanic White Americans (8.8 percent)[86] and Asian Americans (7.1 percent) were lower than those of any Hispanic group. African Americans (21.3 percent) have a higher poverty rate than most Hispanic or Latino groups.

now as for west indians this is what i found on the same site to be fair.

West Indian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down to the education stats of the countries listed in that article.
Atleast you recognize the superior diversity in our people. We come in all different shades all in combination with our Euro, Afro, and Native heritage. West Indians all look alike, black as night, and mainly Afro.

I could tell you have never been to the Dominican parade. We play Merengue, Dembow, Bachata, Rap Dominicano, Perico Ripiao, Salsa, and Reggaeton. The last two being Puerto Rican music. The other 5 are all totally different from each other. That is what you call diversity, not like the West Indian parade which is basically Soca and Reggae. Also, some of our floats pay homage to our native american heritage (Taino's), others are African heritage (the Palos ritual), and still others a combination of the 3 components. The last thing you can say about Dominicans is that they are not diverse. You're really showing how little you know.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
THE WEST INDIAN PARADE IS NOT JUST THE BIGGEST IN NYC, THE WEST INDIAN PARADE IS THE BIGGEST PARADE IN AMERICA PERIOD

When it comes to parades in this city it comes down to two-The West Indian and the Puerto Rican. Anything else can sit down somewhere

I seen a video where people came all the way from the UK to attend the labor day parade. The dominican parade is not popping off like that. People look forward to the west indian parade and the PR parade. Nobody talks about the DR parade

Reggae music is worldwide and nationwide. Comparing dominican music to reggae,dancehall etc you gotta be kidding me?

Dont dominicans and hispanics in general listen to reggaeton heavy? lmao

A whole section of queens named....Jamaica lol

Dominicans ride off the puerto rican wave when it comes to culture and recognition in this city

Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Atleast you recognize the superior diversity in our people. We come in all different shades all in combination with our Euro, Afro, and Native heritage. West Indians all look alike, black as night, and mainly Afro.

I could tell you have never been to the Dominican parade. We play Merengue, Dembow, Bachata, Rap Dominicano, Perico Ripiao, Salsa, and Reggaeton. The last two being Puerto Rican music. The other 5 are all totally different from each other. That is what you call diversity, not like the West Indian parade which is basically Soca and Reggae. Also, some of our floats pay homage to our native american heritage (Taino's), others are African heritage (the Palos ritual), and still others a combination of the 3 components. The last thing you can say about Dominicans is that they are not diverse. You're really showing how little you know.
sorry buddy i guess you never met a Trinidad or Guyanese or Surinamese(These are the most diverse in the west indies)? Their more mixed and more diverse then any dominican you'll find. In fact Trinidad/Suriname is one of the most diverse countries in the world which leads to me think as you usual that you don't know what your talking about.

The thing with trinis, jamaicans, haitians , and bajans etc is that we done see each other as different by going of the shade of our skin. . A the end of the day the culture is all the same. Now if dominican people had different culture per different shade of skin then maybe you might call it diversity.

But a few shades of skin with all participating in the exact same culture is no where near diversity. You think a white person would feel diversity if they moved to WASHINGTON HEIGHTS?

OK and i can tell you never been to any west indian event. You think reggae is the only music the west indies has?

in the west indies you have reggae , dancehall , soca , calypso , zouk , konpa etc and Caribbean gospel music is very strong in the islands.

im sorry but the way your describing your dr culture is pretty much the same way west indian culture does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City