Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
its not a argument its me explaining to supermario what diversity is and that the west indian community isn't just all dark skin black folks.
I know and I don't understand how SuperMario got the idea that other West Indian cultures don't have any diversity. I know Guyana, where my parents from, is very diverse and so is Jamaica & Trini. He doesn't express any interest in the West Indian parade or culture so I'm not sure what basis he's using to say other countries aren't diverse as Dominicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Woah, I tought nycjowww was you nynyckid. Insane. That means nycjoww is Jordan, whose usually more agressive.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
[quote=adirondackguy123;18012071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Actually, you all look black to us. The exceptions are Puerto Ricans and most Cubans and Guyanese who look like South Asians.

Look south asian? Don't confuse carribean latinos with your average Central american latinos (Guatemalans, Hondurans, Salvadoreans etc.)
Im Guyanese American, and I dont look like a South Asian. Word to the wise not all Guyanese are South Asian descent. Quite frankly the South Asian community in Guyana is on the decline many Indians are leaving Guyana for good! Today I was at the gym people were asking me yo you Puerto Rican right. I lied and told them yea saying my parents are from Bayamon. I even have a Puerto Rican swagger and a New YOrk Puetorican accent which I learned and adapted years ago. But physically people say I have a Puerto Rican look and features.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

You came at me right, and you seem to have knowledge, unlike the others.

Bachata is much bigger in Latin America than reggae. Latin America and Spain are a pretty large portion of the world. I'm not gonna say that in white/black America or the West Indies bachata sounds. But you ask anyone Latin person about Aventura and I guarantee you they would know who they are. Go to the middle of Peru and ask them about Bob Marley and they're gonna be like huh? I tell you this because I am exposed to all kind of Latinos and all of them tell me how much they love bachata. It has gone mainstream. I've seen African Americans dance bachata aswell, it doesn't mean much.

I embrace our African heritage and apologize to you if I came off as a rascist. Dominican culture wouldn't be so fun if it wasn't for the African, as I believe European is boring. When I said black, black, and blacker, I didn't mean to come off as a rascist, I was just trying to get across my point.
I would definately say that the two Latino countries with the most influential music is Cuba then D.R., but I know many Peruvians who were raised in Lima, and they knew Bob Marley then and know him now. I was suprised to see how quick Bachata became mainstream. Reggae is what got alot of Suburban White kids growing dreads, it even had Japanese kids into it along with hip hop back in the 90's. And Europe, forget about it, it blew up out there and has been popular there since Jamaican immigrants brought it there in the 60's. So, Bachata is popular in Latin America and Spain, but reggae crosses over continents and in countries where people do not even speak English.

In regards to the Taino thing, in Haiti there are people known as Maribou, these people have visible native features and live towards the North-central region which actually borders the Cibao region of DR. I wasn't saying that we would have more than you, but simply that it exists on our side as well, but more in the Northern-Central and North Eastern parts of the country bordering the areas you described. A spill-over if you will, alot of what we eat comes from them, maize moulen (mashed corn), cassava bread etc...I don't know if what you guys call sancocho comes from them, we eat the same thing but call it bouyon. No other island eats that as far as I know but Hispanola. Anyhow, I don't hold that comment against you though....and the WI parade is more known.Peace

Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Woah, I tought nycjowww was you nynyckid. Insane. That means nycjoww is Jordan, whose usually more agressive.
Didn't mean to come off agressive, but I did think it was bogus you were suggesting members to learn more about Dominican culture yet your knowledge on English speaking Caribbean cultures was limited yet you were going off about their culture.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
[quote=Bronxguyanese;18020879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post

Im Guyanese American, and I dont look like a South Asian. Word to the wise not all Guyanese are South Asian descent. Quite frankly the South Asian community in Guyana is on the decline many Indians are leaving Guyana for good! Today I was at the gym people were asking me yo you Puerto Rican right. I lied and told them yea saying my parents are from Bayamon. I even have a Puerto Rican swagger and a New YOrk Puetorican accent which I learned and adapted years ago. But physically people say I have a Puerto Rican look and features.
I apologize, I worded that post incorrectly. Many Guyanese are of South Asian descent. In fact you told me they are the majority in Guyana. I never meant to say Cubans and Puerto Ricans look South Asian. That is far from the truth.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
These discussions always seem to turn into "who is of less black/of African Admixture" and the underlying sentiment is that being such is negative. I think we can all admit that there are all kinds of negative thoughts associated with being black/of african descent -- many of which are presumptions and half-truths. All that I can suggest is that no one generalize (like the poster who compared Dominicans to AA and Puerto Ricans, saying the latter are welfare recipients because they are citizens, and Dominicans, not being citizens, are more productive). While there may be some AAs and PRs who get benefits, there are many more who do not and are lead the lives of productive, law abiding citizens.
My suggestion to everyone is that you get to know some people FOR REAL instead of making guesses based on hearsay and outside observations. (Not mad at you -- just frustrated)
I'm glad that someone expressed these words. It's what bothers me about several threads on C-D that have racial themes. It seems black posters want to distace themselves from being black. Most of the time it's the way they look. They admire their European features ( posts like I look Puerto Rican or Dominicans aren't black or black women and this hair weave mania) over their African ones. The way they talk, they take no pride in their historical slave speech and take ownership in the low brow accents of Italian and Jewish immigrants. There is an underlining lack of pride of being black. I realize this issue was really deep and troublesome when SuperMario descibed the West Indians as "black, blacker and blackest." It made me think there is something deeply wrong with being black. I'm not black and I'm looking from the outside. As an outsider it makes me realize there are many issues within your group and I can understand why many whites shy away from issues concerning blacks.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
[quote=1nevets;18039533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I apologize, I worded that post incorrectly. Many Guyanese are of South Asian descent. In fact you told me they are the majority in Guyana. I never meant to say Cubans and Puerto Ricans look South Asian. That is far from the truth.
They are the majority for now, however the indian population in guyana is on a gradual.decline. Many are leaving and some are inter mixing with brazilians, blacks, and natives BLACK population has stagnated. The native population is on the rise and the brazilians are moving in huge numbers. People are really surprised when I tell them im guyanese. They think we all indian nope not really. Initially People think im either pr or dr based on my physique and skin color and other features. Im euro and afro mix on both sides of my linage.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 AM

[quote=Bronxguyanese;18039677]
Quote:

They are the majority for now, however the indian population in guyana is on a gradual.decline. Many are leaving and some are inter mixing with brazilians, blacks, and natives BLACK population has stagnated. The native population is on the rise and the brazilians are moving in huge numbers. People are really surprised when I tell them im guyanese. They think we all indian nope not really. Initially People think im either pr or dr based on my physique and skin color and other features. Im euro and afro mix on both sides of my linage.

LOL! They are all moving to Queens. Richmond Hill and Jamaica have tons of the Indo Guyanese.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:23 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
they take no pride in their historical slave speech and take ownership in the low brow accents of Italian and Jewish immigrants. There is an underlining lack of pride of being black. (
the accent thing had nothing to do with a lack of pride. Thats ridiculous. Its simply truth. Northern blacks, sound northern period
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City