Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 AM

149 posts, read 261,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

You came at me right, and you seem to have knowledge, unlike the others.

Bachata is much bigger in Latin America than reggae. Latin America and Spain are a pretty large portion of the world. I'm not gonna say that in white/black America or the West Indies bachata sounds. But you ask anyone Latin person about Aventura and I guarantee you they would know who they are. Go to the middle of Peru and ask them about Bob Marley and they're gonna be like huh? I tell you this because I am exposed to all kind of Latinos and all of them tell me how much they love bachata. It has gone mainstream. I've seen African Americans dance bachata aswell, it doesn't mean much.

I embrace our African heritage and apologize to you if I came off as a rascist. Dominican culture wouldn't be so fun if it wasn't for the African, as I believe European is boring. When I said black, black, and blacker, I didn't mean to come off as a rascist, I was just trying to get across my point.

i dont think bachata is bigger than reggae in latin america. trust me most latinos in latin america know who bob marley is. trust me every latin america country i've been to bob marley songs have been playing like buffalo soldier, etc. bachata is big though but reggae has been in latin america since forever. aventura is big as well, but to say a person in peru doesnt know who bob marley is, is just bs. i've seen so many bob marley shorts in latin america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
You're right on many things, one thing you're leaving out is that we also went to Cuba, I still have family in Cuba till this day where 300,00+ people speak Creole. But also we do have strong West Indian (not actual Indian) influences. We have heavy influences from the Leeward Islands and Trinidad especially with regard to Calypso Ra-ra and the manner in which we celebrate events and carnival. We have influences from both Caribbean Latinos and West Indians, but we are also not the only French/Creole speaking island in the Caribbean; Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Martin, French Guiana and Martinique speak the same language as us and share the same cultural distinctions with both us and the English Speaking West Indian Countries, there's French West Indian and British West Indian. Those Islands are to us what Trinidad, Barbados, Grenada and Guyana are to Jamaica.

Furthermore many Trinidadians and Guyanese go to Venezuela as many Jamaicans and Bajans (Barbados) went to Panama, Nicaragua and Honduras. BTW, Reggaeton started in Panama because of the heavy Jamaican influence there. Many Jamaicans also traveled with Haitians to Cuba as well in large numbers in the 1920's. So being from the Caribbean many of our cultures overlap, especially considering the African and Taino influences in our cuisine and to some extent geneology. Be it Latino or West Indian all of the cultures in the Caribbean overlap one way or another, how many times have you seen Jamaicans eat something similar to your own cuisine? Does it make them Latino? Also all the islands except Barbados, were owned at one point and time by Spain, you will see Spanish names of towns in all the islands and many still have Spanish names, Grenada, Trinidad, Guadeloupe etc...

haitians are latinos. i was stationed there in 2004 and as a black american, i thought i was in any spanish country, pretty much salsa sounding music on the radio just in kriol, catholism, the gestures, the dances, the food on most west indian island is similar including the spanish ones but haitians are definitly more similar to dominicans, cubans and pr than to jamaica. i was so tired of hearing meringue and salsa that i thought i was gone lose my mind. also voduun seems to be pratice by all countries in the west indies again including the spanish ones that pratice santeria as much as haitians practice voduun.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Try again, around 70% of African americans have white ancestry. 30% of white people in this country do have small amounts of african ancestry and even more with native american.

http://http://www.isteve.com/2002_How_White_Are_Blacks.htm (broken link)

It appears that 70 percent of whites have no African ancestors. Among the 30 percent who do, the black admixture is around 2.3 percent, which would be like having about three black ancestors out of those 128.
In contrast, African-Americans are much more racially mixed than European-Americans. Yet, Shriver's study shows that they are less European that was previously believed.
Earlier, cruder studies, done before direct genetic testing was feasible, suggested that African-Americans were 25 or even 30 percent white. Shriver's project is not complete, but with data from 25 sites already in, he is coming up with 17-18 percent white ancestry among African-Americans. That's the equivalent of 106 of those 128 of your ancestors from seven generations ago having been Africans and 22 Europeans.

what we blacks are we are not any more. black americans are whitening especially in the south and its hard to take a mixed population and get random people and expect ot get accurate results. i would say blacks are at least 25% white or non-black but if we include the new generation as there are almost as many mulatos as black babies being born one only has to go to walmart i think its closer to like 35-40%. african immigrants would decrease it but blacks dont mix much with them.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Isn't Reggaeton an offshoot of Reggae?
not only is it an offshoot of reggae but it was actually started by jamaicans in panama. im not jamaicans but it seems 2 have the same theme. jamaicans in jamaica made reggae, jamaicans, AA and pr in america make rap, jamaicans in central american (panama but other nations as well) translated reggae into jamaican patwa influenced spanish and and ricans afro-latinized it but its still reggae. reggaeton was not made by AA but it clear it been influenced by AA. and new reggae as well is influenced by AA. but these 3 groups started rap jamaicans, ricans and AA which is the biggest music in the world. it just seems that ricans got a grip on reggaeton, AA on rap and jamaicans on reggae but the music are all related and it can even be said they are essentially the same as all of them are african-influence and a part of the hip-hop culture. reggaeton is reggae in spanish. that reggae is even in spanish shows u how powerful its effect has been. or that rap is in spanish. there is no such thing as reggaeton in english - it would either be rap or reggae. reggaeton does seem to go the distance from rap to reggae with central american reggaeton sounding much more like reggae almost while rican reggaton has a reggae dembow beat but it clear they sound more like rappers. but rap, reggae overlap as well. but reggaeton if its even a real genre seems to overlap more with both.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
haitians are latinos. i was stationed there in 2004 and as a black american, i thought i was in any spanish country, pretty much salsa sounding music on the radio just in kriol, catholism, the gestures, the dances, the food on most west indian island is similar including the spanish ones but haitians are definitly more similar to dominicans, cubans and pr than to jamaica. i was so tired of hearing meringue and salsa that i thought i was gone lose my mind. also voduun seems to be pratice by all countries in the west indies again including the spanish ones that pratice santeria as much as haitians practice voduun.
This is true. Haitian culture is similar to dominican culture. Remember they used to be one country before. Both are roman catholic. Only difference is language even though french and spanish are related. Voodoo and santera comes from african heraitage.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
not only is it an offshoot of reggae but it was actually started by jamaicans in panama. im not jamaicans but it seems 2 have the same theme. jamaicans in jamaica made reggae, jamaicans, AA and pr in america make rap, jamaicans in central american (panama but other nations as well) translated reggae into jamaican patwa influenced spanish and and ricans afro-latinized it but its still reggae. reggaeton was not made by AA but it clear it been influenced by AA. and new reggae as well is influenced by AA. but these 3 groups started rap jamaicans, ricans and AA which is the biggest music in the world. it just seems that ricans got a grip on reggaeton, AA on rap and jamaicans on reggae but the music are all related and it can even be said they are essentially the same as all of them are african-influence and a part of the hip-hop culture. reggaeton is reggae in spanish. that reggae is even in spanish shows u how powerful its effect has been. or that rap is in spanish. there is no such thing as reggaeton in english - it would either be rap or reggae. reggaeton does seem to go the distance from rap to reggae with central american reggaeton sounding much more like reggae almost while rican reggaton has a reggae dembow beat but it clear they sound more like rappers. but rap, reggae overlap as well. but reggaeton if its even a real genre seems to overlap more with both.

Much of the Spanish music has African roots, much like Carnival. It all comes from Africa. Brazil as well has many African cultural roots. They are more closely connected to African culture than American Blacks

Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
i dont think bachata is bigger than reggae in latin america. trust me most latinos in latin america know who bob marley is. trust me every latin america country i've been to bob marley songs have been playing like buffalo soldier, etc. bachata is big though but reggae has been in latin america since forever. aventura is big as well, but to say a person in peru doesnt know who bob marley is, is just bs. i've seen so many bob marley shorts in latin america.
Then you are really underestimating bachata. Look, people in Latin America don't know Bob Marley. He was not that important. There are some people in the US who don't know who Bob Marley is. Don't make him out to be some sort of Michael Jackson, who is actually known world wide. When I was in DR very recently, the people there would listen to Eminem or Rihanna, as there are english stations, but not know and not care who the artist is. They don't understand the music so they go by the beat. So you're trying to tell me that Bob Marley's 1980's music would be played in these poor Latin American countries, many of which didn't even have TV, let alone radios. Trust me, bachata is bigger in Latin America.

As a matter of fact, I just donwloaded a radio app on my itouch which gives me access to different stations around the world and when I searched Bachata, a Bachata only station from ARGENTINA, I repeat ARGENTINA came up.

I don't see these reggae artists going to central and south American touring and breaking records there. I wonder why that is? hmm maybe because the market is not there.

If you smell what The Rock is cooking

Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Trust me they are different.

I can't take you seriously if your telling me that Haitians listen to Merengue and Bachata. They really dont. The only things Haitians have in common with us is their religion (somewhat, because they incorparate Voodo country wide), rooster fighting, and a somewhat related history. They also associate much more with West Indians than with Hispanic carribean. What does that tell you? Meanwhile the 2 sister islands PR, DR, and Cuba could fit and assimilate right in to each others country.

If Haitians were so similar to us, they wouldn't stick out as much as they do when in the DR.

But I'd probably also consider them Latino.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
You guys need to understand same and similar are two different things. Dominicans and haitians are similar but they are not the same they have grown apart from each other.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Technically Hatian's are Latin. They speak French
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City