Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,986,119 times

Advertisements

Lay off her sheesh. You guys are mad that you don't fit the description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 AM

961 posts, read 2,456,531 times
Video | Black in Latin America | PBS

So my sister put me on to this documentary series which is airing on pbs for the next few weeks, I found it very informative. They even talk about what mario had eluded to earlier about the differences between the rate of mixing in DR in comparison to other islands. They explained that in DR the sugar industry died out early on in colonialism and they shifted to cattle ranching. The huge sugar plantation economy in DR didn't come back until the U.S. occupation in 1916, bringing in many RURAL Haitians to do the work. So DR was not a plantation society, those descended from Africans and the Spaniards were on equal footing doing the same work in cattle ranching, thus resulting in high rates of mixing. Haiti and Cuba were plantation societies, thus explaining greater extremeties. Also as stated before, a large portion of "white" Cubans (esp. Miami exile population) are descended from European Immigrants who came in the late 1800's and early 1900's, further explaining their lack of mixture. I suggest watching it, it confirms alot of what people have been saying on the thread. peace

p.s. What Haitians in DR look like is not representative of the population as a whole, we are a combination of different African tribes and have different looks depending on the region. Those in DR are from specific regions and the most desperate out of an already impoverished society.

Last edited by twist07; 04-16-2011 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: p.s.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,333,205 times
I tried to rep you, Twist but I'm overloaded. Thanks for that post on the upcoming PBS series. I heard about it back in February and am looking forward to it.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I tried to rep you, Twist but I'm overloaded. Thanks for that post on the upcoming PBS series. I heard about it back in February and am looking forward to it.
Thanks, Henry Louis Gates does alot of good documentaries, episode 1 Haiti and the Dominican Republic is already up there for viewing. It clears up alot of things, and alot of misconceptions as well.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:16 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,986,119 times
I mean seriously, I can't watch that. Obviously the guy has an agenda. They're going to make things appear worse than they really are, warping viewers mindset, and the cycle of misinformation continues. Don't feed into it.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I mean seriously, I can't watch that. Obviously the guy has an agenda. They're going to make things appear worse than they really are, warping viewers mindset, and the cycle of misinformation continues. Don't feed into it.
What agenda? I don't understand, he's talking to someone who works for the Dominican government and noted Dominican historian Frank Moya Pons. What does he say that isn't true? If you haven't seen it what are you telling people not to feed into?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:30 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,523,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Most people in the world have dark hair and dark eyes. What do you think African Americans are blond haired and blue eyed ?
Many are.....my son - whose mother is triracial (USA Native American/African/European) and whose father is Latino and African American (my dad is AA/German mostly) was born with (nappy) blond hair and blue eyes.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I know.........there are so many black people - people, period - in Latin America who don't know their history, and documentaries like this one do us all a disservice by teaching it. Isn't that a shame?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I have seen some Hondurans in New York who are Black as midnight.

And Costa Ricans, and Guatemalans, and Peruvians, etc......and Dominicans.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 AM

686 posts, read 1,692,987 times
Quote:
I have seen some Hondurans in New York who are Black as midnight.

There called Garifunas, there a small minority in Honduras among the vast mestizo-Indian majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City