Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Something interesting for you guys to note. Blacks from Cuba, Colombia, Peru, Brazil, and Haiti are different from the blacks in the Dominican Republic. The blacks in the Dominican Republic look mixed. They do not look straight out of sub-saharan Africa. This is because back during the colony days, white slave masters and black slaves in the DR had a "good" relationship. The DR was mostly cattle farming, which required cooperation from both slave and master. If you contrast this to Haiti, which was plantations, the master had absolute power over slaves. Also, Spain encouraged spanish men to mix with African women because they were losing power in Hispanola to the French, and wanted to regain some of it back. In the end result, the Dominican people, black and white (and Taino) were mixing while blacks in Cuba, Haiti, Colombia, Brazil etc ran away from their masters into their enclaves and mix with themselves, giving them a relatively unmixed look. Look at a dark Dominicans:

Google Image Result for http://explore.bradley.edu/journalsfromtheroad/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sba_drschoolkids.jpg

Compare to Bantu from Sub-saharan Africa:

Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Somali_bantu_children_florida.jpg

Dark Dominicans clearly show mix race, the miscagenation that occured there is clearly visible, and it has been mixing for years.

Mostly none of the western North & south American blacks look sub-saharan.

You can tell the difference when you see an African immigrant.

Most blacks in the western world are mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
does this have to do with Brazil large population in south america?
Brazil is the biggest country in South America

Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
You also see Dominicans like that, but are likely of Haitian descent like famous politician Pena Gomez:

Google Image Result for http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/penagomez1.jpg

Remember now, atleast 20% of the people in the Dominican are illegal Haitians.

and to All-American, American blacks are mixed, Brazil, DR, PR for the most part but it's much less so with Cuba, Colombia, and Haiti.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why are you excluding Brasil? Its in South America
you said this

"Most of central & south America don't speak Spanish."

EVERY country in central and south america DOES speak spanish, EXCEPT for five - belize, the 3 guianas, and Brazil. Of those 5, all are tiny EXCEPT Brazil. There are as many spanish speakers in south america as there are Portugese speakers. There are MORE spanish speakers in central and south america together than there are Portugese speakers. Ergo, your above sentence is incorrect.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:23 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
You also see Dominicans like that, but are likely of Haitian descent like famous politician Pena Gomez:

Google Image Result for http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/penagomez1.jpg

Remember now, atleast 20% of the people in the Dominican are illegal Haitians.

and to All-American, American blacks are mixed, Brazil, DR, PR for the most part but it's much less so with Cuba, Colombia, and Haiti.
new york city has plenty of black unmixed dominicans who have no haitians in them such as my homegirl liz.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
new york city has plenty of black unmixed dominicans who have no haitians in them such as my homegirl liz.
I seriously doubt she has no Haitian in her. I can't even imagine a scenario in which someone in the dr could go unmixed. Maybe unless she is from the samana peninsula which housed African Americans and other carribean blacks with no mixing whatsoever. They even speak English in samana, and is easily the darkest area in the Dominican. For reference, look at Hanley ramirez, superstar of the fl marlins and a native of samana.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
you said this

"Most of central & south America don't speak Spanish."

EVERY country in central and south america DOES speak spanish, EXCEPT for five - belize, the 3 guianas, and Brazil. Of those 5, all are tiny EXCEPT Brazil. There are as many spanish speakers in south america as there are Portugese speakers. There are MORE spanish speakers in central and south america together than there are Portugese speakers. Ergo, your above sentence is incorrect.
Not true.
I agree with you on smaller countries speak other languages other than Spanish.
But if you add 52% of south american Portuguese speakers you get at most 30-35% Spanish Speakers in South America.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt she has no Haitian in her. I can't even imagine a scenario in which someone in the dr could go unmixed. Maybe unless she is from the samana peninsula which housed African Americans and other carribean blacks with no mixing whatsoever. They even speak English in samana, and is easily the darkest area in the Dominican. For reference, look at Hanley ramirez, superstar of the fl marlins and a native of samana.
well before i took notice to these racial things i use to arrogantly say she has haitian in her because she is black but she claims no none whatsoever. In fact she darker then me but i guess i don't count cause i have white admixture in me but she looks like your average black women.

but she isnt the first though. I hear stuff such as the black pop in dr are the most that mostly leave the country to immigrate.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
so your saying the french are Hispanic? i thought ethnic grouping was based on more than language....
in reality latino and Hispanic are 2 different terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City