Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Or even better Dominica. Yeah I have to agree that Haiti is not a part of Latin America.The term Latin America is used to describe culture more than anything else and culturally, you don't hear Haitians claiming to be Latin American or in any kind of parades dealing with Latin America. They identify more with the West Indies culture despite having a different language. Same for Guyana, you would NEVER hear a Guyanese claiming to be Latin American. They might identify as South American, but though the majority of South America is apart of Latin America, the continent is not exclusive to just being Latin America. I believe that culture is a much bigger factor than geography or how other governments consider you for any purpose.
I think there is certain factors that govt might consider what is Latin America. You have Language factors, cultural factors, and geographic factors on what makes a country part of Latin America. Language factors are all SPanish speaking countries plus Brazil and Haiti which speak Portuguese and French. THen you have cultural factors such as history,religion, cuisine and Language which identifies you as Latin American. Then you have geographic factors which includes Mexico, Central America plus English speaking Belize, South America plus, Brazil, Guyana, Suriname. Haiti is linguisically Latino but not Geographically and not culturally. Brazil is geographically Latino and so is it Linguisitcally. Guyana, Suriname, and Belize is only geographically Latin American since there languages are Germanic and cultures are African and Eastern with a minor Western or Latin Culture. Cuba, DR, Pr are not located in Latin America Geographically however they have the culture that indentifies them as latino and Linguistically speak Spanish. All other Former Spanish mainland colonies are Latin American because of geography, Language and culture which have some sort of simularities and shared history. The indentification of Latin American varies by a countries Govt and cultural institutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 05:33 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
DR, PR, and Cuba are the americas. I don't think it's just the mainland. Cuba, Hispanola, and Borinquen were the first of the new world and always mentioned with the Americas.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I think there is certain factors that govt might consider what is Latin America. You have Language factors, cultural factors, and geographic factors on what makes a country part of Latin America. Language factors are all SPanish speaking countries plus Brazil and Haiti which speak Portuguese and French. THen you have cultural factors such as history,religion, cuisine and Language which identifies you as Latin American. Then you have geographic factors which includes Mexico, Central America plus English speaking Belize, South America plus, Brazil, Guyana, Suriname. Haiti is linguisically Latino but not Geographically and not culturally. Brazil is geographically Latino and so is it Linguisitcally. Guyana, Suriname, and Belize is only geographically Latin American since there languages are Germanic and cultures are African and Eastern with a minor Western or Latin Culture. Cuba, DR, Pr are not located in Latin America Geographically however they have the culture that indentifies them as latino and Linguistically speak Spanish. All other Former Spanish mainland colonies are Latin American because of geography, Language and culture which have some sort of simularities and shared history. The indentification of Latin American varies by a countries Govt and cultural institutions.

I think Latin America is categorized by language. Many americans think most Latin's Speak only Spanish while it composes of at least 5 different languages or more.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
um i think jamaica should be above the dr and below haiti. Thats unless if your counting raw numbers?
sorry jordan, I'd have to say you're wrong on that one. DR has a population of almost 11 million with around 90% being mixed to a large degree with African ancestry, even if they aren't full blooded its still more than Jamaica with 3 million people.

To answer the OP, and I think many on here already did, DOMINICANS, per capita I would say Panamanians.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Or even better Dominica. Yeah I have to agree that Haiti is not a part of Latin America.The term Latin America is used to describe culture more than anything else and culturally, you don't hear Haitians claiming to be Latin American or in any kind of parades dealing with Latin America. They identify more with the West Indies culture despite having a different language. Same for Guyana, you would NEVER hear a Guyanese claiming to be Latin American. They might identify as South American, but though the majority of South America is apart of Latin America, the continent is not exclusive to just being Latin America. I believe that culture is a much bigger factor than geography or how other governments consider you for any purpose.
I would concurr, there's a difference between being geographically somewhere and culturally. Geographically Haiti and other West Indian countries like Guyana are in Latin America, however culturally its a different story. However as Bronxguyanese stated earlier Haiti has a long history with South American countries assisting Simon Bolivar in his revolution against Spain, and my family along with many other Haitians have a long history of back and forth between Cuba and DR. Alot of older Haitian music have strong influences of Merengue. But I don't consider myself Latino, just West Indian or Afro-Caribbean (which many Latinos fall under).

Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Also, I would like to hear anybody on this forum that is Haitian to hopefully chime in....do you consider yourself Latin American?

As stated before I'm West Indian not Latino. I think what makes Latino different is exactly where the mother tongue is from, its not just Spain and its not ever single Romance language either. I think the Iberian Peninsula as a whole, meaning Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Bascan etc... has a culture unique from that of France or Italy. Yes Creole is derived from a Latin Language but our colonizers were not Iberian, which is why Portuguese speaking Brazil is so similar culturally to Cuba, on both the Latin and African side. Its that specific combination of Iberian and African or Amerindian. That is not to say that Haitians and other West Indians do not have things in common with Latinos, we have some more things in common culturally than with American blacks. But still, I don't consider myself Latino.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
I don't think Haitians have a lot in common with Americans. They have more in common with the caribbean culture.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
sorry jordan, I'd have to say you're wrong on that one. DR has a population of almost 11 million with around 90% being mixed to a large degree with African ancestry, even if they aren't full blooded its still more than Jamaica with 3 million people.

To answer the OP, and I think many on here already did, DOMINICANS, per capita I would say Panamanians.
so exactly im right since you just counted it as raw numbers. jamaica is 90 percent african blood but only has 3 million people. percentage wise jamaica has more african blood then dr, but raw number wise dr has more since dr has more then double almost triple the population of jamaica.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
If Haitians are Latin Americans due to being in the Americas and speaking a romance language, are Quebecois also Latin Americans?

Wait till I tell my DD that when she goes to school in Troy, NY she will be only a few hours from Latin America. She will be even more fascinated than knowing its close to Montreal, eh?

In fact in American English, "Latin American" mean Ibero-American. IE hispanic or brazilian.

Latino means hispanic. I don't think I have ever heard a Brazilian called a "latino" though I guess I don't often encounter contexts where that would come up.
I have never heard anyone in Quebec refer to the place or the people as "Latin American".

You often hear references to Québécois having a "Latin temperament", but this is more in reference to the European "Latins": French, Spanish, Italian, with whom people in Quebec apparently share certain behaviours: left-wing politics, eating and drinking habits, partying, aggressive driving, hedonism, worker unionization, etc.

I have also known quite a few Haitians and I don't believe they consider themselves to be Latin American in any way. As far as I know Brazilians don't like being referred to as Latin-Americans or Latinos either.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have never heard anyone in Quebec refer to the place or the people as "Latin American".

You often hear references to Québécois having a "Latin temperament", but this is more in reference to the European "Latins": French, Spanish, Italian, with whom people in Quebec apparently share certain behaviours: left-wing politics, eating and drinking habits, partying, aggressive driving, hedonism, worker unionization, etc.

I have also known quite a few Haitians and I don't believe they consider themselves to be Latin American in any way. As far as I know Brazilians don't like being referred to as Latin-Americans or Latinos either.
Thats true, Brazilians dont like to be referred as Latinos or Hispanic. Brazil is almost like America diverse with different populations such Germans, Italians, Japanese, Arabs, French, English, Croats and Serbs, Spaniards, Africans and Portugese. I also came across an Argentinian, but she claimed she was white, she sounded just like a white girl with an NYC accent. Argentina is like one of the whitest countries in the world with most of its people being Italian, German Spaniard, French and Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City