Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I now live on LI and absolutely hate it. I've lived out here for 13+ years and it's never been "home". To take a twist on a Neil Diamond song, "LIs fine but it ain't home, New York's home but it ain't mine no more....."

Anyway......

Since I love Manhattan (and hope to live there again one day), I was thinking about taking a "stay-cation" next Christmas in Manhattan. I plan on saving up about $4k and, instead of doing Christmas at home, I was thinking about getting a hotel room for my daughter and I for 4 or 5 days and just be tourists: take in a B'way show, go shopping on 5th Ave, take one of those silly tour bus things, etc. Just have some fun time in Manhattan.

$4k is a lot of money, but I'm figuring $300/night for the hotel, show tickets (even discounted, they're expensive), food, shopping, etc. I could probably realistically do it on $2500.

Does anyone else find this crazy? Or fun? I'd love your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
Sure, if that's what you want to do and you have the money to do it (which it sounds like you do), then why not?

Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Sounds fun to me. Sometimes when my mom comes to down she stays in a hotel and I come and have a little vacation with her and I live in Manhattan.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:54 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,829 times
good idea, but 4K seems like a waste

Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
That may be so, but if this is what she wants then so be it.
I could say that taking a cruise on a ship for a week is a
waste of money. Sounds to me that a little change of environment for a few days might do her some good.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
I agree.... $4k is a lot of money for something like this. I'm going to budget it out and see if I can do it for $2500 or less. Discounts on shows are always easy to get, so I'm thinking 1 b'way show and the Radio City Spectacular (those tix go on sale in July!). Food is easy enough. We can eat out 2 nights and get food from the grocery store for the other nights. The most expensive thing will be the hotel. I'm wondering if I book early enough, if I can get some kind of discount?

I just love, love, love Manhattan (as does my daughter) and I was thinking this would be a great way to spend Christmas. There's nothing like Christmas in Manhattan!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Sure, if that's what you want to do and you have the money to do it (which it sounds like you do), then why not?

It's not that I have the money. I would absolutely have to budget this out and probably pick up a part time job on the side to do this.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
That may be so, but if this is what she wants then so be it.
I could say that taking a cruise on a ship for a week is a
waste of money. Sounds to me that a little change of environment for a few days might do her some good.

YES!!! That's exactly it!!! I think the change of staying in Manhattan, doing Christmas in Manhattan would do me a world of good! Living out here on this 100 mile stretch of nothing has gotten to me physically, emotionally, and mentally. It sucks to just consider your living place a place to sleep and not "home".

Old 12-24-2010, 12:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
It's not that I have the money. I would absolutely have to budget this out and probably pick up a part time job on the side to do this.

Well as someone who grew up on Long Island, yes IMO I find that wasteful. If you had the money to burn(but you said you don't) I think it would be better to save up and take a real trip out of the state or out of the country.

What I loved about growing up on LI was Manhattan was a train ride away. You can do everything you want on day trips.

I would save the money and go to San Francisco or some other exciting place out of state.

JMO.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:54 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
every year my wife and i play tourist.we stay in a hotel,see a show and do all the things tourists do. we live in queens to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City