Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:56 AM

15 posts, read 98,038 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Ozone Park section of Queens from 1975 to 2004 when I left to live in Rockaway after I got married. I enjoyed the area in which I lived, which was on 149th Avenue near JHS 202. The area at the time from 1975 to about 1998 was still Italian American with other white ethnics such as polish, Irish, etc., and there was growing number in 1998 of Hispanic and Indian residents. The Indian residents as I can remember lived near City Line and around 101st Avenue. My questions are this:

1. Is the area still retaining a sizeable Italian American population?

2. Is it still low crime?

3. If you had to guess what is the percentage of residents that are Non-hispanic white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 AM

41 posts, read 221,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSMAN View Post
I lived in the Ozone Park section of Queens from 1975 to 2004 when I left to live in Rockaway after I got married. I enjoyed the area in which I lived, which was on 149th Avenue near JHS 202. The area at the time from 1975 to about 1998 was still Italian American with other white ethnics such as polish, Irish, etc., and there was growing number in 1998 of Hispanic and Indian residents. The Indian residents as I can remember lived near City Line and around 101st Avenue. My questions are this:

1. Is the area still retaining a sizeable Italian American population?

2. Is it still low crime?

3. If you had to guess what is the percentage of residents that are Non-hispanic white?
1. I'd say that no there aren't many Italians left in that area.
2. Crime is moderate to low.
3. hmmm.....15%

Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 PM

518 posts, read 626,097 times
Default Ozone Park

Hi,
My husband and I lived on 102nd Road in Ozone Park for about one year (until we, too, moved to Rockaway Beach). To answer your question: the area now is approximately 95-99% Indian and Guayanese. When we lived there, we felt like foreigners in our own country. It was a very unfriendly, cold atmosphere.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:43 PM

186 posts, read 1,118,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
Hi,
My husband and I lived on 102nd Road in Ozone Park for about one year (until we, too, moved to Rockaway Beach). To answer your question: the area now is approximately 95-99% Indian and Guayanese. When we lived there, we felt like foreigners in our own country. It was a very unfriendly, cold atmosphere.
Indian as in from India or Native American because im thinkin of movin there and im Pakistani

Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 AM

41 posts, read 221,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
Indian as in from India or Native American because im thinkin of movin there and im Pakistani
Yes that would be Indian from India.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:06 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,367 times
Default Caribbean Central

Quote:
Hi,
that would be WEST Indian like from Trinidad & Guyana. It's not unfriendly if you are familiar with the culture. I have LOTS of friends from Trinidad & Guyana. I personally would not care to live in that area. You can smell the curry cooking from a mile away. Loud soca & chutney music playing all night long on the weekends. Oh I ran thru those streets for a long time. It's fun when you're young, but not the place to settle down if you're looking to relocate to a nice suburban Queens 'hood. Times have changed.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:53 AM

518 posts, read 626,097 times
Default Loud music

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
that would be WEST Indian like from Trinidad & Guyana. It's not unfriendly if you are familiar with the culture. I have LOTS of friends from Trinidad & Guyana. I personally would not care to live in that area. You can smell the curry cooking from a mile away. Loud soca & chutney music playing all night long on the weekends. Oh I ran thru those streets for a long time. It's fun when you're young, but not the place to settle down if you're looking to relocate to a nice suburban Queens 'hood. Times have changed.
You are so right about the loud music. When we lived in Ozone Park, our upstairs neighbor had a party in the basement. They told the landlord it would be a small party and would run between 8 - 11 P.M. Well, they brought in loudspeakers and mikes and the party STARTED at 10 P.M. and ran until 4 A.M. The radiators and pictures in our apartment actually rattled with the noise. When we complained, they told us they had every right to have a party and they would not turn the music down. BTW, they were Guyanese.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:05 PM

16 posts, read 103,102 times
I guess it depends on what side of the street one lives on. In actual Ozone Park, I see non-hispanic whites, but further out to South Ozone Park and Richmond Hill areas, you start getting more non-whites. Here in S.Ozone Park its mixed, some white, some spanish, but mostly Guyanese. While some are nice and mild mannered, alot just don't have any respect for others. I continue to get quite a few that buy their food on Lefferts and drive around the corner and park on the side of my house to eat and drop their garbage after they eat on the sidewalk. Its amazing how inconsiderate some can be. And yes, the soca music is very very loud. Its a shame because its a nice area not too far from the airport.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 22,115 times
i have lived here all of my life. i live near centerville park, a section in ozone park. this neighborhood used to be safe, and queit. BUT!! last year i was mugged one block away from my house. and a few months after that, my father was mugged, just 2 blocks away from where i was. IT IS NOT A GODD NEIGHBORHOOD ANYMORE!! SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE I'M LIVING IN A GHETTO!!

to answer your questions:
1. ozone park is hardly full of white people. it is mainly guyanese and west indian now.

2.CRIME; as for me i would say no it is not that low. i have a friend who is a police officer and tells me to be careful around where i live. it is not that safe anymore.

3. i would say maybe 10-15%

Old 02-10-2008, 06:37 PM

128 posts, read 234,769 times
Quote:
Hi,
I second that, ever since the loss of John Gotti the area went straight to hell, Auto theves, gangs immeadietly took over the area and the police were actually throwing the victims in jail for catching them and defending themselves.
New Park Pizza is still there.
Most of the Italians from that area moved to Island Park and 2 blocks in Long Beach off the beach(Long Island)

This police Comissioner (from Boston) Kelly is a real asshat, he going around busting 70 year old alleged Gambino's and whats taking over (MS-13 and Latin King types) will be 20 worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City