Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:13 PM

8 posts, read 21,187 times

Advertisements

I will be going to school in manhattan near the spring st stop so preferably a neighborhood within walking distance of subway stop on the C line. I am also looking for a safe neighborhood with hopefully a young crowd. I will want some roommates since I am new to the city, but my budget is under 2,000.

Also I am really not looking to live in Manhattan because what I have seen from brooklyn I have liked better. So please don't tell me just to look in Manhattan !

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
$2000 / month with roommates?! You could live anywhere in the city at that price. Do you really have that much money? You can find a place for $800 - $1000 if you try (w/roommates)

Old 12-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
$2000 / month with roommates?! You could live anywhere in the city at that price. Do you really have that much money? You can find a place for $800 - $1000 if you try (w/roommates)
I work full time right now and my parents are going to help me. I will only be there for about 6 months and obviously I want to spend less! I'm more just looking for what neighborhoods are nice in brooklyn near the C line

Old 12-24-2010, 03:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunaasusann View Post
I work full time right now and my parents are going to help me. I will only be there for about 6 months and obviously I want to spend less! I'm more just looking for what neighborhoods are nice in brooklyn near the C line
Anywhere walking distance from the first 5 (coming from manhattan) C stops are good. Brooklyn Heights, Downtown Brooklyn, Fort Greene and Clinton Hill (west of the Clinton-Washington Stop). The edges of the last two neighborhoods have some rough spots on their borders but they would be more popular with younger people and have some very nice looking row houses. You probably would not want to live anywhere east of there considering you can afford to pay and it's not one of the safer neighborhoods in NYC.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:33 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Just about the entire C line that runs through Brooklyn is
terrible. I would say no further out then Clinton Hill.(Clinton/Washington ave stop).

Most definitely not past the Nostrand Ave stop.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
As a female you could most likely live around the corner from the spring street stop at that price (with roomate(s) ).

Honestly you'd probably be much happier only having to walk to school. You're not really familiar how much it sucks when you're running late and the train gets stuck underground or crawls for fifteen minutes. ESPECIALLY on the C. It is arguably one of the worst lines. Anything a young 18 yr old girl needs is in the area of your school. Trust me.....

Last edited by availableusername; 12-24-2010 at 05:14 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 04:53 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Just about the entire C line that runs through Brooklyn is
terrible. I would say no further out then Clinton Hill.(Clinton/Washington ave stop).

Most definitely not past the Nostrand Ave stop.
Agreed! Brooklyn native and I hate it past Nostrand but I'm a guy so it's a bit different.

If you don't mind me asking, Why the C line? With your budget you could find a great neighborhood with roommates in GreenPoint, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Ridgewood ALL close/quick ways of getting to Manhattan.

The "C" line is just horrible (Not all of it MOSTLY beyond Nostrand). The "A" is the express but runs the same line but I can't stand either one (the "A" would get you quicker into Manhattan though). The places I listed is close to the "J", "M", "G" & "L" trains.

Hope this helped. And as a Brooklyn native I will say, You'll love it here in Brooklyn =)

Old 12-24-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Agreed! Brooklyn native and I hate it past Nostrand but I'm a guy so it's a bit different.

If you don't mind me asking, Why the C line? With your budget you could find a great neighborhood with roommates in GreenPoint, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Ridgewood ALL close/quick ways of getting to Manhattan.

The "C" line is just horrible (Not all of it MOSTLY beyond Nostrand). The "A" is the express but runs the same line but I can't stand either one (the "A" would get you quicker into Manhattan though). The places I listed is close to the "J", "M", "G" & "L" trains.

Hope this helped. And as a Brooklyn native I will say, You'll love it here in Brooklyn =)
To be honest I am VERY confused by the New York subway system, I am from Washington DC and our metro system is much simpler, but I really did love Greenpoint when I was there I just am not sure exactly how long it would take me to get to spring st from there, :/

Old 12-24-2010, 10:01 PM

Greenpoint is near the G train, which doesn't go to Manhattan. You would have to switch to the C or L train to get to Manhattan. Probably a long commute.

Williamsburg might be what you want and it's popular with the younger crowd. Your school might be walking distance from an L train stop or you could do a quick transfer to the C line.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:31 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunaasusann View Post
Also I am really not looking to live in Manhattan because what I have seen from brooklyn I have liked better. So please don't tell me just to look in Manhattan !
What parts of Manhattan have you seen? You have enough $$$ to live in Manhattan and I think you will find yourself a lot less stressed if you do so. I think Williamsburg is great too, but I love my seven minute commute more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City