Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:09 PM

138 posts, read 313,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
well i will just take the train or drive, i mean riding a bike sounds cool and i do care about environmental impact but its not realistic. how are you going to ride a bike in a suit or business casual? seriously? im not going to show up to work looking like a mess cus i rode a bike 8 miles to the bronx

People have been doing it a long time now.

As for the dangers of bike riding. What about crossing a busy street or near misses while driving. It feels riskier but when you really think about it. With increased street calming it should only get safer over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 10:37 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,801,585 times
What happens when it's 97 degrees and you are in a suit? Or Raining? Do you really feel like riding your bike then.

Did't you read my post? 8th Ave isnt that busy and I have only had a near miss with a car twice, not even on that ave. Bikes, its more like 4 times a day. They NEVER EVER stop at lights.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
What happens when it's 97 degrees and you are in a suit? Or Raining? Do you really feel like riding your bike then.
Well then don't ride your bike every day. There's always the bus or the subway. You could also bring a change of clothes depending on where you work.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:17 PM

756 posts, read 2,271,816 times
I'm all for it, and my boyfriend rides his bike almost everywhere, but I will say: he's been doored by cabs twice now (both times tourists opening the door without looking) which somewhat dampers my enthusiasm. Not to mention the poor woman in Brooklyn who was doored, then thrown into an oncoming bus and killed.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:44 AM

442 posts, read 1,293,146 times
lol i dont know where you people live or work. realtalk gtfoh. biking is a good option for some and i recommend taking the bus or train as much as possible and saving emissions that way. its just not practical for commuting if you have to go to another borough and you value your life. im not gonna wake up and put my life in the hands of crazed new yorkers. just 3 nights ago i saw a young man get ran over on horace harding blvd. go ahead and bike around

Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM

901 posts, read 2,377,115 times
I've enjoyed reading this thread so far. Recently I've had a complete change of mind regarding how I'd like to live my life, and where. In fact, I've had a complete 180-degree change in attitude, because until now I've been a diehard fan of suburban living for the past 13 years. But I'm now craving a total urban experience, which is leading me to consider NYC as a place I'd like to move to. (Man it seems strange to type that. I never thought I'd ever want to move to NYC, and now I can't get the place out of my mind - especially since I currently live in one of those sprawling suburbs of a large midwest city.)

I agree with the original poster who started this discussion. I'd love to ditch my car and get a bike, but wasn't sure how practical it was in NYC. I'm glad to see it is. And it sounds very liberating.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
In many parts of NYC, it's more practical to not have a car than a car. There's not much parking available. And you have to move it frequently for street cleaning unless you pay $$ for a garage.

Bicycling is a bit intimidating in Manhattan but works well in Brooklyn and probably Queens where there is more quiet streets.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 24,617 times
I like riding bikes but can you tell me a bit more about the bike lanes in the city and also safety --- given the massive car traffics I feel a little afraid to ride bikes in the city. I am also concerned about the amount of air we inhale outdoor with all the pollutants in the air, especially when we have to ride bikes side to side with the cars on the road.

Please share your thoughts.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:02 PM

442 posts, read 1,293,146 times
try riding a bike in this snow real talk

Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,276,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
lol i dont know where you people live or work. realtalk gtfoh. biking is a good option for some and i recommend taking the bus or train as much as possible and saving emissions that way. its just not practical for commuting if you have to go to another borough and you value your life. im not gonna wake up and put my life in the hands of crazed new yorkers. just 3 nights ago i saw a young man get ran over on horace harding blvd. go ahead and bike around
Biking in NYC should really be for recreational purposes and done in low traffic areas. NYC has too many stupid and impatient drivers to bike around the city safely. Hell, you can barely walk in this city without putting your life in danger because of these idiots. I almost got smacked by an SUV the other day because apparently the driver thought completing a left turn was more important than my life..smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City