Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 05:52 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times

Advertisements

we're expecting a 12 inch storm tomorrow thru Monday. I have a 10:30 AM flight to catch at LaGuardia on Tuesday the 28th. I was planning to take a cab to LaGuardia as i normally do. I called a few cab companies and they told me to call back Monday and call my airline first

do you think the roads will be plowed by early Monday AM rush hour and that the flight will be scheduled as normal? Maybe i should take public transit super early instead?

Please advise, I'm tense over this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 07:40 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
You're problem is more likely to be the flight than the cab.

Also, New York weather, especially snow, is notoriously difficult to predict. I'd wait and see how it all plays out.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:47 PM

18 posts, read 72,408 times
Of course it's way too early to know how much snow will fall or exactly when. Personally, I'm skeptical that it will be 12 inches, based on the fact that such predictions very often seem to "worst case" possibilities. Gotta make the weather as big a story as possible!

But do you mean Tuesday AM rush, not Monday? That seems pretty likely to be fine, as Tuesday itself is so far predicted to be sunny and clear. But at any rate it's very rare for a snow storm to shut down main thoroughfares -- such as the usual routes to the airport -- in NYC completely. As for flights, who knows? A smaller amount of snow, if it comes with winds, can shut down the airport, and in fact even weather problems affecting other airports could result in delays and cancellations here.

It's probably frustrating but I have to say the car services are right. Neither they nor you can know today what's going to happen with the weather over the next couple of days, and it probably won't be possible to know until sometime on Monday.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:04 PM

Default i'm sorry i meant Tuesday

what i want to avoid is not being able to get a cab Tuesday AM since the flight is at 10:30 and i have to be at security no later than 45 mins before the flight and i want to have breakfast first

i'm thinking of maybe just taking the #1 subway to the M 60 bus(I'm in Riverdale by the 1 train).The MTA says the buses run even in storms and there should be no problem

but do you think the airport would close Tuesday even if the storm ended on Monday? I too am skeptical about 12 inches. I always find it's usually in between the 2 extremes--maybe more like maybe 9 inches

they're saying the storm will end Monday AM and now I'm hearing 8-14. this sucks. everything i try to do something happens, even a lousy week's vacation i'm trying to take

Old 12-25-2010, 08:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
I can't imagine Tuesday would be a problem. Even if the storm ends Monday afternoon, everything should be plowed Monday evening or overnight.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 PM

Default now they say

it will end Monday AM but they also say 8-14 inches

Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 PM

18 posts, read 72,408 times
Current forecasts are that there will be little or no additional snow accumulation on Monday, after heavy snowfall overnight. But, it'll be windy with gusts up to 40 mph, so blowing snow conditions are expected. Winds should calm some by sunrise Tuesday.

So, I wouldn't expect any of that to impact getting to the airport on Tuesday morning, a full day after the storm. And while there's always a chance that flights can be delayed or cancelled, it sounds like both wind and precipitation conditions will be fine by Tuesday morning so it shouldn't be a major concern.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
but do you think the airport would close Tuesday even if the storm ended on Monday? I too am skeptical about 12 inches. I always find it's usually in between the 2 extremes--maybe more like maybe 9 inches

they're saying the storm will end Monday AM and now I'm hearing 8-14. this sucks. everything i try to do something happens, even a lousy week's vacation i'm trying to take
If the storm ends Monday morning, by Tuesday morning there should be no problem getting out of the city by air and all major roads in the city should be passable and clear without any problems. NYC is usually very efficient in snow removal as the city has stockpiles of salt and normally has enough snowploughs ready.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Default will my Tuesday 10:30 am flight to Atl

be delayed due to the cancelled flights from today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City