Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM

177 posts, read 416,762 times

Advertisements

I haven't read thru' the whole thread but what's so wrong with missing the good old days relative to each person's own nostalgic references? I don't get the "get over it" thing about that.
People miss certain times, no reason to criticize or get wigged out over it. The same person who might post missing certain times are still here, so for all intents and purposes they do move on.
The ones who think they're all so changing and forward could use a dose of "get over it" as well as anybody else. New Yorkers have been changing since back in the day, it ain't nothing new at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 05:55 PM

72 posts, read 150,204 times
I think what I find more annoying than anything is people trying too hard, acting fake. I thought NYC was totally unlike L.A. until I came... and found Manhattan especially to be filled with the same kind of plastic people. It was like if you added palm trees it would pretty much be the same thing.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:00 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,453,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMarie10 View Post
I think what I find more annoying than anything is people trying too hard, acting fake. I thought NYC was totally unlike L.A. until I came... and found Manhattan especially to be filled with the same kind of plastic people. It was like if you added palm trees it would pretty much be the same thing.
Right, Manhattan - it's 4 other boroughs transplants always seems to push aside. Lol Stay in Manhattan so us natives don't have to bother with you.

Oh and on a side note Apple is planning to add a store in Brooklyn!!!! Call me whatever but Steve Jobs is like my dad :-p Apple Rules!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 PM

177 posts, read 416,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Right, Manhattan - it's 4 other boroughs transplants always seems to push aside. Lol Stay in Manhattan so us natives don't have to bother with you.

Oh and on a side note Apple is planning to add a store in Brooklyn!!!! Call me whatever but Steve Jobs is like my dad :-p Apple Rules!
I was thinking something along the same line. Actually, altho' it's hard for me to explain, in a way that very 'plastic-ness' is sort of what this thread is, if I can say,wanting people to be.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

Um, I don't live in Manhattan or anywhere near NYC for that matter. And you don't even know me, talk about stereotypes... sheesh... I didn't like the outer boroughs any better BTW. I guess the only way you could think living like that is great is if you lived there forever and didn't know any better... you have my sympathies

Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Um, I don't live in Manhattan or anywhere near NYC for that matter. And you don't even know me, talk about stereotypes... sheesh...
Yeah, I kind of got that from the word "came" which applies to the past. Smfh talk about people who can't interpret outside the box.

And I wasn't talking specifically to YOU - I was talking about the majority of transplants who think NYC is just the smallest borough. Lol

Stereotypes? Which one, where NYer's are "mean"?

You'll live.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM

Good example of why I will never live in NYC- on my last visit this past fall I took a cab to the airport. There was a credit card machine in the back. At the end of the ride I swiped it and told the guy I'd tip with cash. He started screaming at me with his thick, foreign, curry-soaked accent 'Swipe again! It no read! Swipe!!' I tried it a few times and told him it didn't seem to be working. I was about to pick up my wallet and just pay cash, but he started to scream 'Out! Just get the **** out!' I was so shaken by that I just did as he told me. Got a free cab ride, but the aftertaste didn't sit too well.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 PM

34,149 posts, read 47,390,083 times
Quote:
Good example of why I will never live in NYC- on my last visit this past fall I took a cab to the airport. There was a credit card machine in the back. At the end of the ride I swiped it and told the guy I'd tip with cash. He started screaming at me with his thick, foreign, curry-soaked accent 'Swipe again! It no read! Swipe!!' I tried it a few times and told him it didn't seem to be working. I was about to pick up my wallet and just pay cash, but he started to scream 'Out! Just get the **** out!' I was so shaken by that I just did as he told me. Got a free cab ride, but the aftertaste didn't sit too well.
Sorry to hear but thats how NYC is sometimes...rough and tumble atmosphere. Sometimes life is so fast paced for us we dont have time for the niceties.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Wow, my post got deleted yet people troll the NYC forums and nothing happens. Typical.

Back to the main topic. . .

Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,580,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Well I don't mind yuppies because they work and support themselves. Hipsters, on the other hand, are supported by mommy and daddy. Both yuppies and hipsters drink alot but yuppies know when to call it a night and they are easy on the eyes. Hipsters are not. I remember there was one vehement anti-hipster on Craigslist years ago who called hipsters "funpigs". LOL! I burst out laughing because that does seem to be their focus - Fun, play, fun, drink, fun, eat, screw, play foosball, check bank account to see if mommy and daddy added da funds. They're white but will say stuff like "Later, nee-groes" (translation: "Bye for now") and other things that scream "I'm super immature and make no apologies for it!!"
Later Neee gros?? Please tell me you are making it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City