Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 PM
 
5,000 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Reputation: 4574

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Later Neee gros?? Please tell me you are making it up?

He is not......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,185 posts, read 7,565,410 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
To be completely honest - - - Our generation (25 and under) didn't create anything new, that we see today. It just became more mainstream when we discovered it and we have better tools of finding out "what went on" (basically better communication).

My point is "hipsters" always been here and while I don't like the title (I hate labeling anything), it's not going anywhere. Most of you guys know I'm a native NY'er and when people say "NY isn't the same" I get it. I remember when I was 8-9 (late 90's) playing outside (Tag, hide and seek, freeze tag lol) and had to be in before the street light came on. I remember after-school I had band-practice and STRAIGHT afterwards I had to be home to start homework. THAT'S THE NY I miss! Parents today seem like they don't want to teach there kids to have ANY guidelines or respect for anyone. It's more then putting them in front of the TV; lack of communication But I digress. . .

I accept the Old and "New NY" (what ever that means) because it's what we do. NYC has never been still we're always growing and expanding. I don't think we'll slow down anytime soon either. ANOTHER thing I can't stand is when people complain about the gentrification of DoBro. I always felt like Brooklyn needed this. For many reasons but most importantly, we have our own Central Business District. New business should've been started in BK and now everyone is starting to realize it.

It's not the Brooklyn I grew up with, but I'll accept it. I'm Pro-NYC so whatever keeps us going strong (trend or not) I'll support it.

And furthermore (lastly) I just don't care enough to ridicule people for their lifestyle and other people shouldn't either. If I want to wear a vintage tshirt with a leather vest and fitted jeans it should be my business.
Makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
157 posts, read 394,800 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
To be completely honest - - - Our generation (25 and under) didn't create anything new, that we see today. It just became more mainstream when we discovered it and we have better tools of finding out "what went on" (basically better communication).

My point is "hipsters" always been here and while I don't like the title (I hate labeling anything), it's not going anywhere. Most of you guys know I'm a native NY'er and when people say "NY isn't the same" I get it. I remember when I was 8-9 (late 90's) playing outside (Tag, hide and seek, freeze tag lol) and had to be in before the street light came on. I remember after-school I had band-practice and STRAIGHT afterwards I had to be home to start homework. THAT'S THE NY I miss! Parents today seem like they don't want to teach there kids to have ANY guidelines or respect for anyone. It's more then putting them in front of the TV; lack of communication But I digress. . .

I accept the Old and "New NY" (what ever that means) because it's what we do. NYC has never been still we're always growing and expanding. I don't think we'll slow down anytime soon either. ANOTHER thing I can't stand is when people complain about the gentrification of DoBro. I always felt like Brooklyn needed this. For many reasons but most importantly, we have our own Central Business District. New business should've been started in BK and now everyone is starting to realize it.

It's not the Brooklyn I grew up with, but I'll accept it. I'm Pro-NYC so whatever keeps us going strong (trend or not) I'll support it.

And furthermore (lastly) I just don't care enough to ridicule people for their lifestyle and other people shouldn't either. If I want to wear a vintage tshirt with a leather vest and fitted jeans it should be my business.
Looks like we grew in the same time-period. I agree that we have to be accepting of certain trends, but it's not becoming a trend, it's becoming the norm for young teens. I wouldn't want my son growing up in that pussified environment would you?

Do you think that this continuing trend will keep us going strong? It was that grit, grime, and classic nyc feel that brought many people (artists) here in the first place. A place for artists in nyc is nearly non-existent now. It's all controlled. Everything. There is less freedom. Soon, you won't be able to enjoy yourself without spending at least 5 bucks somewhere. Is that a good thing? I don't think so. I remember having great times, water gun fights, tag, graffiti, all that good fun S H I T, classic brooklyn stuff. All that down the drain. I don't know, somethings should always stay the same IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
1,405 posts, read 2,449,715 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
Looks like we grew in the same time-period. I agree that we have to be accepting of certain trends, but it's not becoming a trend, it's becoming the norm for young teens. I wouldn't want my son growing up in that pussified environment would you?

Do you think that this continuing trend will keep us going strong? It was that grit, grime, and classic nyc feel that brought many people (artists) here in the first place. A place for artists in nyc is nearly non-existent now. It's all controlled. Everything. There is less freedom. Soon, you won't be able to enjoy yourself without spending at least 5 bucks somewhere. Is that a good thing? I don't think so. I remember having great times, water gun fights, tag, graffiti, all that good fun S H I T, classic brooklyn stuff. All that down the drain. I don't know, somethings should always stay the same IMO.
This is a really good post and I do agree with you. I really think with kids today they have to be the ones that's doing the things we did. WE went outside and had water fights. WE played blind man bluff. WE created our own games. Kids aren't doing that anymore and when a community, in a sense, "dies" - They start to rebuild it.

I'm all for the things we did as kids, it's made me the street smart guy I am today. My mom made sure I didn't play videos games on the weekday and I HAD to spend at least an hour outside after homework. Back then we had this busted old Mac computer! (so the internet was not an option!) I really blame parents if they kids grow up in this current environment. It's their job to teach them morals and having value in the most important things.

One things for sure we'll never have pools in our backyards for summer! The johnny pump is all we need! I only hope native NYer's stay and speak up because if we start leaving, NY would really lose it's charm. Transplants would ruin this place. I'm never leaving because no one is running me out of here, NYC is our country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: London
1,583 posts, read 3,676,907 times
Reputation: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
This is a really good post and I do agree with you. I really think with kids today they have to be the ones that's doing the things we did. WE went outside and had water fights. WE played blind man bluff. WE created our own games. Kids aren't doing that anymore and when a community, in a sense, "dies" - They start to rebuild it.

I'm all for the things we did as kids, it's made me the street smart guy I am today. My mom made sure I didn't play videos games on the weekday and I HAD to spend at least an hour outside after homework. Back then we had this busted old Mac computer! (so the internet was not an option!) I really blame parents if they kids grow up in this current environment. It's their job to teach them morals and having value in the most important things.

One things for sure we'll never have pools in our backyards for summer! The johnny pump is all we need! I only hope native NYer's stay and speak up because if we start leaving, NY would really lose it's charm. Transplants would ruin this place. I'm never leaving because no one is running me out of here, NYC is our country!
What makes you think that "transplants" didn't do all the same things you did as kids and don't bemoan the fact that kids today are spending their childhoods staring at screens?
This isn't directed at you personally, but at everyone who keeps baring their teeth at new residents. I didn't think there was anything more infantile than "NY vs. NJ", but apparently "'natives' vs. 'transplants'" is it. I'm sorry, but this city doesn't belong to you alone; it belongs to everyone who makes their home here, whether they've been here for their whole life or they unpacked their bags last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
1,405 posts, read 2,449,715 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
What makes you think that "transplants" didn't do all the same things you did as kids and don't bemoan the fact that kids today are spending their childhoods staring at screens?
This isn't directed at you personally, but at everyone who keeps baring their teeth at new residents. I didn't think there was anything more infantile than "NY vs. NJ", but apparently "'natives' vs. 'transplants'" is it. I'm sorry, but this city doesn't belong to you alone; it belongs to everyone who makes their home here, whether they've been here for their whole life or they unpacked their bags last night.
Did you see me say that? If I did. . . No wait I didn't.

I'm not talking about transplants I'm talking about what I remember from MY childhood. I MISS NY when it was fun going outside I NEVER SAID transplants weren't outside, did I?
If they where I'm sure I didn't care/know and it didn't matter because we'd play games together.

At the end of my statement I said I hope Native NYer's stay because the fact is some of them won't. You currently live and pay taxes in NY I consider you a NYer. Are you a native? No. But you ARE a New Yorker. What's wrong with me saying this?

I honestly mean NO HARM when I say the word transplant - maybe I'll start saying migrator?

I do however disagree (to a degree) with it "belongs to everyone who makes their home here. . ." My whole family is here this is home - If you can visit family elsewhere (another state) and/or the majority isn't here YOU'LL always have a place to go. IF NY is all you have where can we go when people try to push you out? Exactly.

Lastly what kind of life would children have if they look at everything on TV today? Especially reality and senseless crap. Movies is what I prefer because it makes you sit there for more than a half hour. Plus, some, are mind stimulating. Art to me is the most important form of education. Especially Performing Arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: London
1,583 posts, read 3,676,907 times
Reputation: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Did you see me say that? If I did. . . No wait I didn't.

I'm not talking about transplants I'm talking about what I remember from MY childhood. I MISS NY when it was fun going outside I NEVER SAID transplants weren't outside, did I?
If they where I'm sure I didn't care/know and it didn't matter because we'd play games together.
You were talking about how you had fun outside as a kid and then suddenly mentioned how "transplants would ruin this place" and how no one will "run you out" and I thought that it was in the same train of thought. My mistake...good to know you don't think that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
1,405 posts, read 2,449,715 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
You were talking about how you had fun outside as a kid and then suddenly mentioned how "transplants would ruin this place" and how no one will "run you out" and I thought that it was in the same train of thought. My mistake...good to know you don't think that.
Yeah I didn't mean any harm.

I actually like people (from everywhere) helping to build up the city. I was saying the whole "run me out" to the other NYer's because THEY seem to really let others get to them.

Like I said before I accept the old and New NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 04:04 PM
 
7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
Reputation: 3266
Let me see....so these hipseters are a bunch of kids from the midwest spending their parents' money and not competing with the locals for traditional jobs. If this is true, then it sounds to me like a really great BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY for locals. Starbucks and the organic stores sure figured that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
157 posts, read 394,800 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
What makes you think that "transplants" didn't do all the same things you did as kids and don't bemoan the fact that kids today are spending their childhoods staring at screens?
This isn't directed at you personally, but at everyone who keeps baring their teeth at new residents. I didn't think there was anything more infantile than "NY vs. NJ", but apparently "'natives' vs. 'transplants'" is it. I'm sorry, but this city doesn't belong to you alone; it belongs to everyone who makes their home here, whether they've been here for their whole life or they unpacked their bags last night.
The thing is, it's the native NYer's and our sub-cultures that are being threatened by popular culture nowadays. So, when you say you don't like people barring their teeth at new residents, I don't like it when new residents bar their teeth at me. EXCUSE ME if I'm not wearing a peacoat, cashmere scarf, and square glasses, and talk like meeahh. I guess I'm referring to yuppies, but there are teens who also try to act like that. At school, we always made fun of kids who tried to act like that, who thought they were better than everyone, unless they were actually genuinely, nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top