Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 AM

110 posts, read 219,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hayT93 View Post
First, ill say most of you may say my opinion doesn't matter because: My family moved my brother and I out of new york, to the south and I no longer live there anymore. However, I'm coming right back this summer permanently but I do have a lot of love for the city (I want to become a city planner even)

To me, no place stays the same. All the people complaining about the "direction" of NYC are the people who will be left behind. In this country, to get along u have to go along, and if you want to sit back and keep thinking of what the place used to be, without making any moves for yourself, then yes you should be worried.

The city has always been changing, with new people moving in. Harlem wasn't always known for being a heavily African American neighborhood. There were actually many italians and other white ethnicities. Now mind you, this was when racism was common. The same way many are complaining "These hipsters are coming in ruining our neighborhood and way of life!" How do you think those same people in harlem before the blacks felt? What was the Bronx before it was known for having a large puerto rican population? White also. I'm not using these points to offend anyone in a prejudice way, but my point is NYC has always been changing and like before, whatever new people move in, the city will still go on.

Everyone is saying "I miss the way it used to be. It was gritty and crime was high, but it was great". I think that is a bit disrespectful to believe the high crime was a good thing. I don't think some of the people realize innocent people were killed, and women raped, which contributed to the gritty city you favored. But yet some of the people who say that will go right away and say "ENY?? That place is the worst ever, id never move there!". High crime and "grit" isn't exactly a good thing. I have no problem with the people who say "I miss when NYC wasn't about materialism" because I agree. But to glorify crime isn't right.

Another point id like to make is that these "hipsters" I admit CAN be a bit annoying and may have a stuck up attitude, and also attract these big businesses, but its a two way street. You know one thing I've learned from living in the south for the past 2 yrs.? Its that southerners don't exactly like NYers moving into their cities either. The quiet, suburban lifestyle they love is being changed into a "loud, traffic congested place" all over. You may say "that's different, were contributing to their small economy", but hipsters/yuppies could also say "Were helping bring bigger business to your city, and helping the rough neighborhoods change". Just look at the states for rural areas in city data forums you will see many "Is (insert rural city) friendly towards NYers or big city people?" And u hear "No, they just create problems".

I do dislike that the cost of living is so high and rising, but hey, I still love the place so I won't let it stop me from enjoying it. The displacement of minorities is wrong also and I wish it wasn't like that because the middle and in low class are important to an economy but let's be honest, what can we do to change that. Its not that its hipsters/yuppies agendas to "Let's move from the midwest to displace blacks" its just the fact that in NYC, some of the neighborhoods with minorities are the most affordable. Its happening in many other cities too, not just NY. As long as money is on peoples minds, condos and other upper class businesses will be coming.

Lastly, this wasn't a thread to start any hate or anger, but to summarize everything, NYC since the 1600s has been evolving. New groups of people have been coming for decades, just accept it. NY isn't "becoming generic and like any other city" either, I can tell you many things that I would find in NY and not others.

The reason people say they miss the crime is not because of the crime itself, but because then it kept most of these douchebag midewesterners from coming here, once giuliani cleaned everything up they turned manhattan into a big shopping mall, and now the natives live almost exclusively in the outer boroughs.

The character issue of the city is there because these people come from suburban or rural places and they want the same type of corporate chain stores they had in the strip malls and suburbs back home in the midwest, subway to them is as good as a new york deli owned by mom and pop, pizza from papa johns replaces an independant italian owned pizzeria, the whole attitude of the people is different because their personality and background is something from outside that which was formed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I know this because I've personally heard it more times than I can count in bars in north brooklyn after some conversation back when I was able to stand it up there.

Random chick/dude in bar: *cue nasally californian voice* "Like yah, my folks like help me out and stuff"

C'mon pal, you know exactly what that means. And anyway, in this economy; there is no way that the job market is over flowing with these free lance, creative jobs that pay well enough to afford $2,200 for a one bedroom on metropolitan avenue. Stop trying to sell that nonsense.

And whatever, it is what it is. But when they start driving up rents and/or displacing generations of families, it's pretty goddamn irritating

I don't see why, as a Brooklyn native, you feel such the need to defend these wonderbread all stars. Most of them would gladly support bulldozing over your grandmother's childhood home if it meant putting up an organic, conflict free juice bar that they can tell their cousin zack about back in Boise.....

And with the traditional yuppie, yes obviously they are still around. Of course. Never denied that. When I say "yupster" I am talking about a breed all on their own. They are a very prevalent group these days...
Man I take comfort in the fact that I am not the only one who see's it this way, but for me the simple fact that these people are driving up rents is not my main problem, its more that they are such generic, cultureless people like they all came from the same mold, so I feel very very little in common with them. Fortunately where I live they don't exist much, but I still understand what people mean when they talk about them.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,597,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
Man I take comfort in the fact that I am not the only one who see's it this way, but for me the simple fact that these people are driving up rents is not my main problem, its more that they are such generic, cultureless people like they all came from the same mold, so I feel very very little in common with them. Fortunately where I live they don't exist much, but I still understand what people mean when they talk about them.
If you wanna bond with them (Lol, I know you don't- Neither do I) all you need to do is light up a blunt and crack open a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon

Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 AM

And you know what else? While on one hand I understand things change in this city, and always have. Its one thing to say things change, but these people think that I am supposed to accept what ever negative change comes to my home and skip and frolic around like some pantywaste douchebag.

I mean for the sake of argument, let's say there was a bunch of sex offenders moving into a certain neighborhood, none of these people would say

"Oh well you know, things change, no use being all nostaglic about the days when your "precious neighborhood" used to not have sex offenders, that is just the way of life in NY so just embrace it"

Now granted, im not trying to say a hipster is like a sex offender, but the point im trying to make is that if its something I feel is negative occurring and changing my community for the worse, why the hell should I accept it just because its a "Change" and "Things change".

This sounds like some kind of NYU student sociology theory of somebody who has no balls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City