Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:31 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,455,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Let me guess you're one of the complainers?
Sorry If I offended.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:29 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,601,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
This is how I look at it: At least I'm away from the Hillbillies.

Would you like all the Hillbillies to move into your neighborhood? I think not!
Um, YES I want hill billies if they are employed, NICE, balanced, family values folks who don't toke up and party excessively. I guess you could say I'm highly prejudiced against "party people" I don't know what "ism" that is.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,682,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Well I don't mind yuppies because they work and support themselves. Hipsters, on the other hand, are supported by mommy and daddy. Both yuppies and hipsters drink alot but yuppies know when to call it a night and they are easy on the eyes. Hipsters are not. I remember there was one vehement anti-hipster on Craigslist years ago who called hipsters "funpigs". LOL! I burst out laughing because that does seem to be their focus - Fun, play, fun, drink, fun, eat, screw, play foosball, check bank account to see if mommy and daddy added da funds. They're white but will say stuff like "Later, nee-groes" (translation: "Bye for now") and other things that scream "I'm super immature and make no apologies for it!!"
So basically, your main gripe with them is that they don't have to work for their money and you have to. I don't see how that affects you, so I guess you're just going to have to get over it.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 AM

442 posts, read 1,298,585 times
I tolerate and respect everyone and dont care what they do as long as they dont get in the way of me, my family, and my money.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,231,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Let me guess you're one of the complainers?
Sorry If I offended.

No man, I was laughing at you being the living, breathing incarnation of a real estate broker's wet dream. That honestly couldn't have been more perfect...

Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,601,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
So basically, your main gripe with them is that they don't have to work for their money and you have to. I don't see how that affects you, so I guess you're just going to have to get over it.
Wrong. I think it's great their parents give them money based on the parents' original intentions, i.e. to give the kid a jump start to a career, *NOT* to use NYC as a playground before they're called back home to Colorado or whereever as tons of them do. When it becomes a glaring statistic and not just a trend where landlords start to prefer guarantored apartment-hunters, then guess what it?- It does affect thousands and thousands of non-guarantored people and can change a neighborhood for the worse. How can you not see that? Look at how imbalanced the good part of Williamsburg is. It seems there's no turning back similar t how people say once Section 8 takes hold of an area, there's no turning back. Don't you think that's sad? So, in closing, my main problem is that I hate to see imbalance because once there's imbalance, there's no turning back. Or it's next to impossible.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 AM

9,252 posts, read 24,122,601 times
Quote:
Wrong. I think it's great their parents give them money based on the parents' original intentions, i.e. to give the kid a jump start to a career, *NOT* to use NYC as their playground before they are called back home to Colorado or whereever as tons of them do. When it becomes a reality and not just a trend and landlords start to prefer guarantored apartment-hunters, then guess what it does affect thousands and thousands of non-guarantored people and can change a neighborhood for the worse. How can you not see that? Look at how imbalanced the good part of Williamsburg is. So, in closing, my main problem is that I hate to see imbalance.
You don't have to live in an imbalanced neighborhood.I used to live in Williamsburg and you are right,it's imbalanced, but nobody has to live there or stay there.I moved out.There are plenty of NY neighborhoods with no hipsters if that's your problem.

Astronomical rents and landlords requiring 40x rent in income or guarantors has been part of NY reality forever......long before anyone ever heard of a hipster.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 AM

442 posts, read 1,298,585 times
i live in queens so theres nothing but normal people where i live. just another reason queens is the best borough

Old 12-27-2010, 10:02 AM

824 posts, read 2,795,738 times
Nostalgia is a funny thing. Sometimes we view the past through rose-colored glasses. I remember around 1974, when I was all of 14 or 15, bike riding with a pal through Times Square where we would check out the hookers, sometimes complimenting them as we rode by, sometimes making smart-ass remarks. It is a fond memory, but in reality I have no desire to see Times Square go back to those days.

On the other hand, here is something Fran Lebowitz said: http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com...an-on-nyc.html

But I still wonder how much of her comments are affected by nostalgia.

Nowadays my attitude towards changes in NYC is mostly "It is what it is". There is really not much I can do about it. I suppose if I was a homeowner I might feel differently. As a renter, If I don't like it, I can leave.

Last edited by nyctc7; 12-27-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,850,282 times
Quote:
Um, YES I want hill billies if they are employed, NICE, balanced, family values folks who don't toke up and party excessively. I guess you could say I'm highly prejudiced against "party people" I don't know what "ism" that is.
Trust me, you don't have a clue about hillbillies.

They are the biggest party folk around. They bring their kids/babies to the party with them. Most parties have fireworks/some sort of fire.

At least the hipsters have teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City