Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM

9,252 posts, read 24,122,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Trust me, you don't have a clue about hillbillies.

They are the biggest party folk around. They bring their kids/babies to the party with them. Most parties have fireworks/some sort of fire. ......
And their kids are sometimes their brother or sister too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,682,287 times
Quote:
trust me, you don't have a clue about hillbillies.

They are the biggest party folk around. They bring their kids/babies to the party with them. Most parties have fireworks/some sort of fire.

at least the hipsters have teeth.
:d

Old 12-27-2010, 10:27 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,601,591 times
Quote:
trust me, you don't have a clue about hillbillies.

They are the biggest party folk around. They bring their kids/babies to the party with them. Most parties have fireworks/some sort of fire.

At least the hipsters have teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
and their kids are sometimes their brother or sister too.
lm ao!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM

228 posts, read 483,855 times
In a more general sense of things, this nostalgia isn't unique to New York. It's everywhere across the country. It's really a strange phenomenon and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

In every single decade there are those people (usually in their 40's and up) who miss the "good old days".

People here miss the "good old days" of NYC in the 1970s and 80s because it was "real" and "gritty". When Harlem was all-black and didn't have hipsters and yuppies moving in to drive up rents.

Older people in the 1970's and 80's missed the "good old days" of NYC in the 1950's before those damned hip-hoppers were around with their loud boom-boxes and graffiti.

Older people in the 1950's miss the "good old days" of the 20's when NYC had exciting illegal taverns, a thriving jazz culture, etc. Before the depression hit and a confused post-war generation wandered the streets causing trouble.

Older people in the 20's miss the "good old days" of the turn of the century, when industry was booming and jobs were plentiful, and a man could work hard and make something of himself.

And on and on and on ad-infinitum. Get over it people! There were no "good old days", only the here and now. You can either accept it and enjoy it for what it is or turn into a crabby grinch and complain about how great things used to be before "the so-and-so's started moving in and changing everything".

Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,682,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
In a more general sense of things, this nostalgia isn't unique to New York. It's everywhere across the country. It's really a strange phenomenon and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

In every single decade there are those people (usually in their 40's and up) who miss the "good old days".

People here miss the "good old days" of NYC in the 1970s and 80s because it was "real" and "gritty". When Harlem was all-black and didn't have hipsters and yuppies moving in to drive up rents.

Older people in the 1970's and 80's missed the "good old days" of NYC in the 1950's before those damned hip-hoppers were around with their loud boom-boxes and graffiti.

Older people in the 1950's miss the "good old days" of the 20's when NYC had exciting illegal taverns, a thriving jazz culture, etc. Before the depression hit and a confused post-war generation wandered the streets causing trouble.

Older people in the 20's miss the "good old days" of the turn of the century, when industry was booming and jobs were plentiful, and a man could work hard and make something of himself.

And on and on and on ad-infinitum. Get over it people! There were no "good old days", only the here and now. You can either accept it and enjoy it for what it is or turn into a crabby grinch and complain about how great things used to be before "the so-and-so's started moving in and changing everything".
I love you.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM

138 posts, read 373,951 times
there have been hipsters in new york city for the longest time now.......... so i have no idea how its becoming hipsterfied

Old 12-27-2010, 02:11 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,588,319 times
"Hipsters, on the other hand, are supported by mommy and daddy"

the thing is people say "he looks hipster" when they dont know how a person supports themself, or they say "that neighborhood is hipster" without evidence everyone there is supported by their parents.

I mean is it really the case that EVERYONE in North Williamsburg is supported by their parents? What do the census data tell us about occupations and incomes there? My vague impression is that there are plenty of people with jobs in design, publishing, the arts, etc who live there. And also people with more conventional "yuppie" jobs who just prefer the atmosphere.

As for people living in NY for a few years and then heading back out of town, well that was a theme in the musical "Company" which opened in 1970. Of course in those days people like that all lived in Manhattan, and only in the better parts.

Look, I miss NY of the 1970's. My old nabe, which was a mix of orthodox jews, nonorthodox Jews, italians, and a few others, is now mainly ultraorthodox jews. Its so much not the same place. But i realize NY is always changing. And blaming it all on hipsters or whatever is silly.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:28 PM

83 posts, read 343,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"Hipsters, on the other hand, are supported by mommy and daddy"

the thing is people say "he looks hipster" when they dont know how a person supports themself, or they say "that neighborhood is hipster" without evidence everyone there is supported by their parents.
It's not everyone, but it's enough of them that the jokes ring true. Kind of like the way not everyone in an Irish-American neighborhood is a drunk, but a high enough number of them are that it's funny (and possibly irritating as well, if you live in said neighborhood).

Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,850,282 times
Funny. My ex enjoyed his tight jeans and vintage tees on the weekend, yet made six figures a year and holds a job in finance during the week.

Can't judge a book by its cover.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM

442 posts, read 1,298,585 times
Quote:
Funny. My ex enjoyed his tight jeans and vintage tees on the weekend, yet made six figures a year and holds a job in finance during the week.

Can't judge a book by its cover.
this goes for everybody. as soon as i get out of my business attire i throw a fitted hat on and a white t maybe a hoody and some timbs. never judge a book by its cover, this is very true. good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City