Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:58 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
My main gripe is against transplants... Is that they try to hard.

They come from generic places within the US, and than transport/impose that generic culture on too nyc.

The result is........Nyc contemplating a wal-mart in Brooklyn . NUFF SAID

Ten years ago that would have been laughed at. S.t is getting out of hand

People were talking about the Disneyfication of times square. And now look-A big ass disney store smack dab in Times Square, next to a forever 21

It has begun,,,, and its not looking good for the real new york
^^^^ ALL THAT....... You're right, hipsters do try way too hard - to come across as the seasoned New Yorkers they all seen in the movies before they arrived. If their intentionally rude condescending attitude wasn't so annoying it would be laughable, actually, they are a funny little breed. Even if you take them out of their hipster uniforms they stick out.

I've seen many sub-cultures pass through NYC in my many years but this bunch has got to be the lamest. No drive, no real spunk...come on hipsters, stand for something. Get a good protest going and stick with it, something, anything. Don't just retreat to Starbucks when things get tough....LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
The reason why I hate that location is because they demolished the Virgin Mega-Store. =/

I'm a huge music head and that was our last huge store smh.

Exactly. Call me naive but why couldnt they replace virgin with an original nyc only music store. Instead of a planet hollywood, why cant we have an original nyc store that fits the same purpose. Basically what im trying to say is that nyc needs more big stores that are unique and only can be found in nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
^^^^ ALL THAT....... You're right, hipsters do try way too hard - to come across as the seasoned New Yorkers they all seen in the movies before they arrived. If their intentionally rude condescending attitude wasn't so annoying it would be laughable, actually, they are a funny little breed. Even if you take them out of their hipster uniforms they stick out.

I've seen many sub-cultures pass through NYC in my many years but this bunch has got to be the lamest. No drive, no real spunk...come on hipsters, stand for something. Get a good protest going and stick with it, something, anything. Don't just retreat to Starbucks when things get tough....LOL.
Wal-mart is everywhere and anywhere in the rest of the UNITED STATES. Everywhere but New York City. Its the biggest chain-generic store on the planet. If nyc allows for one to be built in the city than its officially over. Like a nail in the coffin. I hope that day doesnt come

Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Oh you know that day will come, unfortunately^^^^^^

Even if it doesn't happen until Doomberg's 7th term.....it will happen.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 PM

22 posts, read 63,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I actually have a legitimate, yet very simple question about tight jeans that these "dudes" wear.........how the fack do they put them on?? Now I'm not talking about jeans that fit. That's what I wear. I don't wear baggy jeans. I'm talkin bout the incredibly skin tight jeans that may as well be painted on.

Jeans-looking spandex.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrooklyn View Post
Jeans-looking spandex.
I think they're calling those "jeggings" now. (jeans + leggings) But omg. People are walking around in spandex and we're none the wiser? Lol.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 PM

C'mon. These fruitcakes are wearing spandex?? LOL. You guys are fockin with me, yeah??

Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
C'mon. These fruitcakes are wearing spandex?? LOL. You guys are fockin with me, yeah??
Unfortunately, jeggings are for real and the answer you've been looking for. Look up "jeggings" on Wikipedia. It's hilarious without trying. (You got me curious) The Wiki page mentions Conan O'Brien wearing jeggings on TV for laughs which I did see not too long ago (the image file). That can be Googled. If you dare.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:50 PM

LMAO you got me dying over here!! Jeggings. Oh man.....

Boy oh boy these guys are real punk rock. I wouldn't wanna set foot in north brooklyn and look twice at these bad-asses.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
LMAO you got me dying over here!! Jeggings. Oh man.....

Boy oh boy these guys are real punk rock. I wouldn't wanna set foot in north brooklyn and look twice at these bad-asses.
Lack of ass is indeed "a bad ass"

jmho

Old 12-28-2010, 01:06 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
My main gripe is against transplants... Is that they try to hard.

They come from generic places within the US, and than transport/impose that generic culture on too nyc.

The result is........Nyc contemplating a wal-mart in Brooklyn . NUFF SAID

Ten years ago that would have been laughed at. S.t is getting out of hand

People were talking about the Disneyfication of times square. And now look-A big ass disney store smack dab in Times Square, next to a forever 21

It has begun,,,, and its not looking good for the real new york
If Wal-Mart comes to the city it will be in spite of, not because of, hipsters. No group hates Wal-Mart more than hipsters. Wal-Mart is as anti-hipster as you can get.

At risk of sounding like a snob, Wal-Mart and chain restaurants are for poor people. The rich, and transplants in particular, don’t want them. We moved here to get away from big-box stores.

Affluent, well-educated creative-types (hipster or otherwise) have brought both problems and opportunities, but you can’t blame us for chain stores. They’re definitely not our fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City