Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
then they can't be the folks who want indie everything, now can they.

BTW, is it possible you are conflating hipster and yuppie?

Also, I might point out, Starbucks does just fine in places with neither hipsters nor yuppies. Come on down to Fairfax county some time and see.

Well we're talking about NYC in this thread, so I can care less about Fairfax county at this time.....

And no, I am not confusing anything. Hence why I said 'yupster'. These days they are pretty much one in the same kind of breed......

And yes they (for the most part) can claim to want indie this, mom n pop that while at the same time writing their super cool novel in starbucks where everyone can see them doing it. It's all a show with this breed. I understand that you have been away from the city for quite some time, so you might not realize this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:12 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
you said this

"Starbucks starts popping up like fungus specifically because of these yupsters. The chain would not thrive like it does if it wasn't consistently mobbed by these folk like it is....."

You said nothing about NYC. I also think its odd that they would thrive on non hipster folks everywhere else, but only get hipsters in NY. Unless you are simply using hipsters as an attack word for anyone who is not working class.

BTW, I do get to NY pretty regularly. I was in North Williamsburg a couple of months ago. I do NOT recall seeing a starbucks there. I DID see indie coffee places, and I think hipsters take their laptops there.

There was an article in the NYT about one such place a few weeks ago. It sounds like some of the folks there were doing some serious, creative, free lance work. Perhaps if you did such work, you too could afford an overpriced latte.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
It's all a show with this breed.
You're not exactly keeping quiet.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
you said this

"Starbucks starts popping up like fungus specifically because of these yupsters. The chain would not thrive like it does if it wasn't consistently mobbed by these folk like it is....."

You said nothing about NYC. I also think its odd that they would thrive on non hipster folks everywhere else, but only get hipsters in NY. Unless you are simply using hipsters as an attack word for anyone who is not working class.

I thought it was a given that we were talking about nyc on, ya know, the nyc section of these forums.......Anyway, if you are suggesting that starbucks doesn't start popping up when the "creative" yupsters start taking over in this city, then you are again way off base.

BTW, I do get to NY pretty regularly. I was in North Williamsburg a couple of months ago. I do NOT recall seeing a starbucks there. I DID see indie coffee places, and I think hipsters take their laptops there.

You either didn't do a whole lot of walking around, or you were staring at the ground the entire time. Sure there are some independant coffee shops. Of course. But there are plenty of starbucks.

There was an article in the NYT about one such place a few weeks ago. It sounds like some of the folks there were doing some serious, creative, free lance work. Perhaps if you did such work, you too could afford an overpriced latte.

LOL trust me pal, if I wanna drink that overpriced crap I can. $4.95 is not gonna make or break me..........As for them doing some serious, creative, free lance work? Gotta tell you buddy, sitting around all day on your laptop in a coffee shop is not gonna pay those rents up there no matter what you do. I'll grant you the argument that there are a small percentage of folk who can make it doing this creative work. But with the thousands of others sitting around all day doing this? There's more to it. And by more to it, I mean a steady updated bank account from mommy and daddy.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You're not exactly keeping quiet.

Huh?

Cause I am on a forum debating with you for a few minutes on a day off that I have?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:31 PM

" I'll grant you the argument that there are a small percentage of folk who can make it doing this creative work. But with the thousands of others sitting around all day doing this? There's more to it. And by more to it, I mean a steady updated bank account from mommy and daddy. "

How the F**k would you know? Do you hack their bank accounts? I'm sure there are some getting money from their parents, but I think a lot of this anti-hipster stuff is simple ignorance/resentment about the way the economy works now. MOST of what people do for a living is done in front of a PC, and plenty of it can be done from a laptop at a cafe. I once participated in a task force meeting from a diner in central Pennsylvania using just a cell phone. Its a new world.

Also, if yuppies are hipsters, and vice versa, than how about all the finance types who are clearly making a lot of money? Are they all relying on mom and dad? or do they not go to starbucks? No starbucks in hoboken or the UES? Just LES and Williamsburg?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 PM

according to google maps, there is one starbucks in north williamsburg (actually Greenpoint, which is why I missed it)

There are three in Bay Ridge.

there are eight in staten island

There is one in Howard Beach

There are a lot more hip nabes in NYC than I had imagined.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
" I'll grant you the argument that there are a small percentage of folk who can make it doing this creative work. But with the thousands of others sitting around all day doing this? There's more to it. And by more to it, I mean a steady updated bank account from mommy and daddy. "

How the F**k would you know? Do you hack their bank accounts? I'm sure there are some getting money from their parents, but I think a lot of this anti-hipster stuff is simple ignorance/resentment about the way the economy works now. MOST of what people do for a living is done in front of a PC, and plenty of it can be done from a laptop at a cafe. I once participated in a task force meeting from a diner in central Pennsylvania using just a cell phone. Its a new world.

Also, if yuppies are hipsters, and vice versa, than how about all the finance types who are clearly making a lot of money? Are they all relying on mom and dad? or do they not go to starbucks? No starbucks in hoboken or the UES? Just LES and Williamsburg?

Hit the nail on the freakin' head.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I know this because I've personally heard it more times than I can count in bars in north brooklyn after some conversation back when I was able to stand it up there.

Random chick/dude in bar: *cue nasally californian voice* "Like yah, my folks like help me out and stuff"

C'mon pal, you know exactly what that means. And anyway, in this economy; there is no way that the job market is over flowing with these free lance, creative jobs that pay well enough to afford $2,200 for a one bedroom on metropolitan avenue. Stop trying to sell that nonsense.

And whatever, it is what it is. But when they start driving up rents and/or displacing generations of families, it's pretty goddamn irritating

I don't see why, as a Brooklyn native, you feel such the need to defend these wonderbread all stars. Most of them would gladly support bulldozing over your grandmother's childhood home if it meant putting up an organic, conflict free juice bar that they can tell their cousin zack about back in Boise.....

And with the traditional yuppie, yes obviously they are still around. Of course. Never denied that. When I say "yupster" I am talking about a breed all on their own. They are a very prevalent group these days...

Last edited by availableusername; 12-29-2010 at 01:15 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
For a time there was a rumor that smack in the heart of Williamsburg was a Starbucks-in-disguise. It had an Italian name starting with an "F" like Fiorini or something IIRC. Everyone was saying "Oh, it's Starbucks in disguise." I don't know how true any of that was, but it was on Bedford Avenue around North 5th or North 6th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City