Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:50 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
When I say "yupster" I am talking about a breed all on their own. They are a very prevalent group these days...
availa, When you use that word it confoooozes the heck outta me But ya, they (hipsters) do have that Cali accent. They say "like" every 2.2 seconds I want to slap them!!

OTOH, the classic yuppie (which I think of as Alex P. Keaton from Family Ties) has different regional accents. (Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, etc.) Most of these reeeeally would prefer to not get help from mom and dad because it goes against one of the very things they stand for - financial independence.

Last edited by grimace8; 12-29-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:52 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
And with your little starbucks list there??

Honestly I can care less. That **** is everywhere. Granted you are wrong about how many are in north brooklyn these days. Doesn't matter though. This thread kind of got derailed with the starbucks talk. And I am part of that too......

Old 12-29-2010, 01:23 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,862 times
Quote:
I know this because I've personally heard it more times than I can count in bars in north brooklyn after some conversation back when I was able to stand it up there.

Random chick/dude in bar: *cue nasally californian voice* "Like yah, my folks like help me out and stuff"

C'mon pal, you know exactly what that means. And anyway, in this economy; there is no way that the job market is over flowing with these free lance, creative jobs that pay well enough to afford $2,200 for a one bedroom on metropolitan avenue. Stop trying to sell that nonsense.

And whatever, it is what it is. But when they start driving up rents and/or displacing generations of families, it's pretty goddamn irritating

I don't see why, as a Brooklyn native, you feel such the need to defend these wonderbread all stars. Most of them would gladly support bulldozing over your grandmother's childhood home if it meant putting up an organic, conflict free juice bar that they can tell their cousin zack about back in Boise.....

And with the traditional yuppie, yes obviously they are still around. Of course. Never denied that. When I say "yupster" I am talking about a breed all on their own. They are a very prevalent group these days...
In all seriousness this might be the best post on City Data ever.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
"Random chick/dude in bar: *cue nasally californian voice* "Like yah, my folks like help me out and stuff""

maybe the dudes working hard on their laptops arent hanging out in bars. Maybe they are at the coffeeshops.

"C'mon pal, you know exactly what that means."

Actually, no. I might help my kid a bit a bit when she gets started if i can. But it wont be enough to substitute for her work.

" And anyway, in this economy; there is no way that the job market is over flowing with these free lance, creative jobs that pay well enough to afford $2,200 for a one bedroom on metropolitan avenue. "

My impression is a lot of folks have roommates. And that in NYC a one bedroom often has a two income couple in it.

"And whatever, it is what it is. But when they start driving up rents and/or displacing generations of families, it's pretty goddamn irritating"

My family left boro park when the hasidim came (though my parents wanted to retire elsewhere anyway, and my brother and I had already left) Neighborhoods in NY change all the time.

"I don't see why, as a Brooklyn native, you feel such the need to defend these wonderbread all stars."

As a brooklyn native, I value truth and fairness. And as a brooklyn native, I, like so many others, went on to get a good education - I am not hung up in nostalgia for some blue collar past.

" Most of them would gladly support bulldozing over your grandmother's childhood home if it meant putting up an organic, conflict free juice bar that they can tell their cousin zack about back in Boise....."

I have never seen either of my grandmothers child hood homes. I would be proud if they are helping poor people in the third world now. My mom, may she rest in peace, had high blood pressure most of her life. A juice bar would have been a good thing for her. Too bad there werent any in our nabe when I grew up.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
And with your little starbucks list there??

Honestly I can care less. That **** is everywhere. Granted you are wrong about how many are in north brooklyn these days. Doesn't matter though. This thread kind of got derailed with the starbucks talk. And I am part of that too......

translation: I have made a claim, I have been proved wrong, and now I want to change the subject.

Cmon dude, its clear. The folks who drink Starbucks are regular NEW YORKERS - folks who live in Bay Ridge or Staten Island, or howard beach. They patronize it MORE than hipsters do. Which makes sense, if you know much about Starbucks, indies, and the demos of starbucks outside NYC. What THAT shows is that change and homogenization is NOT being caused
by Hipsters. Its something that would have happened without them.

Youre just blaming them for that cause your familys irish bar, or whatever, couldnt make it. Sorry about that dude.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"Random chick/dude in bar: *cue nasally californian voice* "Like yah, my folks like help me out and stuff""

maybe the dudes working hard on their laptops arent hanging out in bars. Maybe they are at the coffeeshops.

It's all the same breed of people, buddy. I've seen enough to know this by now

"C'mon pal, you know exactly what that means."

Actually, no. I might help my kid a bit a bit when she gets started if i can. But it wont be enough to substitute for her work.

Help you're kid a bit. Awesome. Nobody is trying to tell you how to raise your child. And I am confident that you have and will continue to intill a good work ethic in them by not giving them an endless bank account

" And anyway, in this economy; there is no way that the job market is over flowing with these free lance, creative jobs that pay well enough to afford $2,200 for a one bedroom on metropolitan avenue. "

My impression is a lot of folks have roommates. And that in NYC a one bedroom often has a two income couple in it.

You are right that some of these apartments are packed to the gill with these urban explorers. Never denied that. The landlords will toss out anybody and their mother in order to make a few extra bucks from these wonderful new addtions to the neighborhood who grace us with their unprecedented culture. They are very much a part of the irritation.

"And whatever, it is what it is. But when they start driving up rents and/or displacing generations of families, it's pretty goddamn irritating"

My family left boro park when the hasidim came (though my parents wanted to retire elsewhere anyway, and my brother and I had already left) Neighborhoods in NY change all the time.

cool story bro

"I don't see why, as a Brooklyn native, you feel such the need to defend these wonderbread all stars."

As a brooklyn native, I value truth and fairness. And as a brooklyn native, I, like so many others, went on to get a good education - I am not hung up in nostalgia for some blue collar past.

Translation: I literally have no pride from my home borough or where I came from.

Great to know, man.

" Most of them would gladly support bulldozing over your grandmother's childhood home if it meant putting up an organic, conflict free juice bar that they can tell their cousin zack about back in Boise....."

I have never seen either of my grandmothers child hood homes. I would be proud if they are helping poor people in the third world now. My mom, may she rest in peace, had high blood pressure most of her life. A juice bar would have been a good thing for her. Too bad there werent any in our nabe when I grew up.

"Your grandmother's childhood home" was used just for the sake of argument. I was pretty sure you would have been able to understand that with this good education that you went on to get.

And yeah, drinking juice (actually only to certain extents) is good for you. People need to make healthy choices. It's up to the individual and their family to take that on. There is nothing wrong with a juice bar, no. I was just using it as an example of what happens....

Old 12-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
translation: I have made a claim, I have been proved wrong, and now I want to change the subject.

Cmon dude, its clear. The folks who drink Starbucks are regular NEW YORKERS - folks who live in Bay Ridge or Staten Island, or howard beach. They patronize it MORE than hipsters do. Which makes sense, if you know much about Starbucks, indies, and the demos of starbucks outside NYC. What THAT shows is that change and homogenization is NOT being caused
by Hipsters. Its something that would have happened without them.

Youre just blaming them for that cause your familys irish bar, or whatever, couldnt make it. Sorry about that dude.

The claim I made is that the Starbucks movement started IN THIS CITY with the wave of yupsters that moved in over the past decade or so. From there it spread like wildfire. That is basically all I was saying. Now everyone drinks it, yeah, cause it's EVERYWHERE and it's caffeine. Caffeine is addicting. You need your coffee fix on the run, a lot of the time there is no other choice. Also, I admitted that the Starbucks discussion is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You've got nothin.....

"Youre just blaming them for that cause your familys irish bar, or whatever, couldnt make it. Sorry about that dude"

My family has never owned any kind of bar. But you have truly just outted yourself as a condescending POS (your defense of these folk makes perfect sense now) who has, once again, zero pride for their hometown. Congrats buddy. Your kid should be proud....

Last edited by availableusername; 12-29-2010 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 02:04 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Now everyone drinks it, yeah, cause it's EVERYWHERE and it's caffeine. Caffeine is addicting. You need your coffee fix on the run, a lot of the time there is no other choice
And it has wireless internet. I think.

Anyway, that's the last thing I'll say on Starbucks. But I will say caffeine is bad for me. It dries out my skin.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM

"The landlords will toss out anybody and their mother in order to make a few extra bucks from these wonderful new addtions to the neighborhood who grace us with their unprecedented culture."

landlords will try to make a few extra bucks from ANYONE. Thats landlords. Are you a mohawk indian? Cause if you're not, your folks displaced someone with your unprecedented culture.

If you dont like the free market in RE, go support more rigid rent control. I can remember when that was helping to destroy NYC.

"Translation: I literally have no pride from my home borough or where I came from"

My family came to Brooklyn (and philadelphia) from grinding poverty in eastern europe to better ourselves - to become educated, and move up in America. We did that. Millions of brooklyn people DID that. I am proud of all of them. We never expected brooklyn to stay the same forever, nor did we resent others who did well (though we did support economic policies to share the wealth, somewhat)

I am not condescending. I dont come here to repeatedly attack members of any group or social class. I respect people getting on in life, if they are running are Irish or Somali, if they are from Bay Ridge or Boise, if they run a bar, drive a bus, design websites, or write for a new media entity.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 PM

"Caffeine is addicting. You need your coffee fix on the run, a lot of the time there is no other choice."

somehow folks in bay ridge and bensonhurst and SI managed to get caffeine fixes before Starbucks came along.

The reality is that they LIKE what starbucks brought - the new coffee "drinks" the darker roasts, etc, etc.

Did Starbucks start first in the richest and densest nabes? Well duh, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City