Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,231,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"The landlords will toss out anybody and their mother in order to make a few extra bucks from these wonderful new addtions to the neighborhood who grace us with their unprecedented culture."

landlords will try to make a few extra bucks from ANYONE. Thats landlords. Are you a mohawk indian? Cause if you're not, your folks displaced someone with your unprecedented culture.

If you dont like the free market in RE, go support more rigid rent control. I can remember when that was helping to destroy NYC.

"Translation: I literally have no pride from my home borough or where I came from"

My family came to Brooklyn (and philadelphia) from grinding poverty in eastern europe to better ourselves - to become educated, and move up in America. We did that. Millions of brooklyn people DID that. I am proud of all of them. We never expected brooklyn to stay the same forever, nor did we resent others who did well (though we did support economic policies to share the wealth, somewhat)

I am not condescending. I dont come here to repeatedly attack members of any group or social class. I respect people getting on in life, if they are running are Irish or Somali, if they are from Bay Ridge or Boise, if they run a bar, drive a bus, design websites, or write for a new media entity.

Dude, you are condescending. You just don't realize it. I can tell from that one statement alone that you made.

A big reason these yup-tards annoy me so much and why I talk constant **** about them is BECAUSE they are so condescending. They come to these neighborhoods and after a year, obnoxiously talk about what needs to be done away with in the area. These dip-****s should at least show a little respect for where they are walking around with their noses so high....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
"Caffeine is addicting. You need your coffee fix on the run, a lot of the time there is no other choice."

somehow folks in bay ridge and bensonhurst and SI managed to get caffeine fixes before Starbucks came along.

The reality is that they LIKE what starbucks brought - the new coffee "drinks" the darker roasts, etc, etc.

Did Starbucks start first in the richest and densest nabes? Well duh, of course.

Yeah there are a couple in south brooklyn, one in howard beach, a few in staten island, and a few in the bronx. I get it. Some people there drink it, and many more bemoan it.

You wouldn't be aware of that last part though, being that you have clearly demonstrated you have zero interest in how many of the locals feel......

Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,588,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
They come to these neighborhoods and after a year, obnoxiously talk about what needs to be done away with in the area.
I can see where that would be grating. You arent the first to dislike it.

"You think I'm an ignorant savage
And you've been so many places
I guess it must be so
But still I cannot see
If the savage one is me
How can there be so much that you don't know?
You don't know ...

You think you own whatever land you land on
The Earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name"

Colors of the Wind, Pocahantas

Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah there are a couple in south brooklyn, one in howard beach, a few in staten island, and a few in the bronx. I get it. Some people there drink it, and many more bemoan it.

You wouldn't be aware of that last part though, being that you have clearly demonstrated you have zero interest in how many of the locals feel......

Apparently the same thing applies in North Williamsburg. Some people drink it, and many more bemoan it.

I have no prob with people bemoaning Starbucks. I bemoan the excess of chain restaurants where I live. I question your blaming the hipsters for it though. That seems to be inaccurate, and the fact that some people believe it does not make it so.

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan, whose family DID own an Irish bar, and who is one of the sons that working class New York can be most proud of once said "you are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts"

Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I can see where that would be grating. You arent the first to dislike it.

"You think I'm an ignorant savage
And you've been so many places
I guess it must be so
But still I cannot see
If the savage one is me
How can there be so much that you don't know?
You don't know ...

You think you own whatever land you land on
The Earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name"

Colors of the Wind, Pocahantas

Wow you pulled out the big guns huh??

The old native american being slaughtered by europeans argument. Bravo good sir. Bravo....

Uhhh yeah, our country was founded on brutality and murder. Thank you for the history lesson. I appreciate that...

But yeah, we're talking about modern times of the city here. That is what this thread is about. It's not about the accounts of what happened during the formation of our country.

That's apples and oranges, my dude.....

Old 12-29-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Apparently the same thing applies in North Williamsburg. Some people drink it, and many more bemoan it.

I have no prob with people bemoaning Starbucks. I bemoan the excess of chain restaurants where I live. I question your blaming the hipsters for it though. That seems to be inaccurate, and the fact that some people believe it does not make it so.

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan, whose family DID own an Irish bar, and who is one of the sons that working class New York can be most proud of once said "you are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts"

That fact that you still fail to understand that Starbucks signaled the yuppification (hipsters, same ****) of many areas in this city, blows my mind.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:37 PM

But seriously, enough with the starbucks discussion.

Actually for this thread for that matter. According to brooklynborndad I have to go take my un-educated self and tend the bar for a mediocre salary for the rest of the night. Sucks man. Wish I was cool enough to be an author or something....

Old 12-29-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
That fact that you still fail to understand that Starbucks signaled the yuppification (hipsters, same ****) of many areas in this city, blows my mind.
I work with statistics. What you are seeing is largely coincidence. Its like sunspots signalling a depression. Starbucks happened to be expanding to the NE at a time when a bunch of NY nabes were being yuppified and others were being hipsterized.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:23 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,682,287 times
Are people really taking shots at creatives in here? Writers and artists? Really? Is this New York City?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,624,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
In a more general sense of things, this nostalgia isn't unique to New York. It's everywhere across the country. It's really a strange phenomenon and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

In every single decade there are those people (usually in their 40's and up) who miss the "good old days".

People here miss the "good old days" of NYC in the 1970s and 80s because it was "real" and "gritty". When Harlem was all-black and didn't have hipsters and yuppies moving in to drive up rents.

Older people in the 1970's and 80's missed the "good old days" of NYC in the 1950's before those damned hip-hoppers were around with their loud boom-boxes and graffiti.

Older people in the 1950's miss the "good old days" of the 20's when NYC had exciting illegal taverns, a thriving jazz culture, etc. Before the depression hit and a confused post-war generation wandered the streets causing trouble.

Older people in the 20's miss the "good old days" of the turn of the century, when industry was booming and jobs were plentiful, and a man could work hard and make something of himself.

And on and on and on ad-infinitum. Get over it people! There were no "good old days", only the here and now. You can either accept it and enjoy it for what it is or turn into a crabby grinch and complain about how great things used to be before "the so-and-so's started moving in and changing everything".

Good point.......change is inevitable..........make the best of it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City