Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Both yuppies and Hipsters love apple products and both are from the suburbs and move to big cities like Ny to steal good paying white collar jobs from locals and turn warehouses into art galleries.

I know of college students who look down on Apple, and prefer Windows (and android phones, IIUC) , but are interested in Linux. However were they to live in NYC, they would probably live somewhere like North Brooklyn, they would be "transplants" with middle class or more affluent roots, and would eat vegan food, hang at coffeeshops with wifi, and possibly go to gallery openings in former warehouses. What would they be classified as?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I know of college students who look down on Apple, and prefer Windows (and android phones, IIUC) , but are interested in Linux. However were they to live in NYC, they would probably live somewhere like North Brooklyn, they would be "transplants" with middle class or more affluent roots, and would eat vegan food, hang at coffeeshops with wifi, and possibly go to gallery openings in former warehouses. What would they be classified as?
Hipsta pretenders. Apple is a must.
lol

Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Grasshopper,

A yuppie was a young urban professional. Ideally a former 1960s hippie, who returned to grad school in the late 1970s, and became a professional - couldnt bare to live in the burbs, moved to a sketchy city nabe and fixed up a house.

In 1982 or so, with the revival of Wall Street, it came to mean any young, affluent professional living in a city. Esp if they had tastes for currently fashionable consumer products (remember the chocolate chip cookie craze?) or for "light" things (white wine, for example)

In 1984 the national news mags (remember them?) decided that Gary Hart (remember him?) won in New hampshire because of the yuppie vote. Since NH did not have any real cities, Yuppie was redefined as Young Upwardly mobile professional, without regard to whether said yuppies were actually doing better than their parents or not.

Around that time the movie Wall Street was released, and some people decided Gordon Gecko was a yuppie. After this any wealthy person who was not actually a red neck, and was under 45 or so, was a yuppie.

Today, needless to say, with the original yuppies seeking retirement homes that have yoga studios and white wine, the word can mean almost anything.

Hipsters vaguely echoes the beat poets, and their rebellion against modern (as in post 1945) consumerism, sexual puritanism, etc. It also is vaguely suggestive of hippies. It got caught up in the post modernist celebration of irony that came to dominate the art world sometime after 1985 or so. Irony supposedly died on 9/11/2001 (remember that?) but apparently it did not. Hipster can be used for any young person who A. Loves irony B Is involved in the arts C. Uses their consumption choices to express their social values in some way D. earns a living in a way people over 40 can't fathom E Is white, educated, and lives in an urban area, but dislikes "yuppies" (whatever they are)

To many people all yuppies are hipsters. To others all hipsters are yuppies. They are disliked for going to starbucks, for boycotting starbucks, for driving up rents, for squatting, and for a host of other evils of our time.

Now go practice your kung fu fighting.
Great history lesson and totally accurate!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM

359 posts, read 329,401 times
nonononono no no no,

A hipster is just someone who uses the internet a lot.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 PM

398 posts, read 698,493 times
I understood yuppies were the corporate types and hipsters are the ones trying to look, well, hip. I remember this 'cause the dudes walk around with skinny, hip-hugging jeans.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
They're still hipsters, just an unusual breed. They probably think they're being edgy by not using Apple.

Either that or they're just masochists; that would explain the Windows AND the vegan food.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 PM

42 posts, read 181,440 times
I live on the LES,and we are over saturated with both Hipsters and Yuppies.Both groups have attitudes from what I have encountered.People pay $2300 and up in my building.Those of us who are long time tenants are ignored by both groups.A lot of the Hipsters are "trust fund kids" They all seem to know each other in my neighborhood and act very superior to us middle aged former hipees,making fun of everyone not like them.The Yuppies are just as stuck up and make the worst neighbors.Both groups are heavy drinkers.Wish they would all move out.I miss our pre-gentrification neighborhood!

Last edited by franny47; 04-11-2012 at 10:33 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,695 times
They different Hipsters are usually younger ppl well trying to be hip a lot of them try to be artists and musicians and are very anti establishment. A yuppie is usually a young professional living in the city who's not really but very liberal and still into art but not the ones creating the art.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:11 AM

455 posts, read 651,710 times
Yupppies, Hipsters, hippies.. i would rather live in a neighborhood with those people instead of thugs, drug dealers, gangbangers.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Yupppies, Hipsters, hippies.. i would rather live in a neighborhood with those people instead of thugs, drug dealers, gangbangers.
Agreed.
Give me a hipster, yuppy or yuppester over a hoodlum any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City