Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 11:15 PM

9 posts, read 77,442 times

Advertisements

I'm returning back to NYC from the Navy and my cars rear end stopped working and I replaced it with a different one that functions fine, but lacks ABS and Traction Control. Would I pass a NYS inspection? By what the DMV has listed online it just states functional brakes without mentioning ABS and there is no mention of traction control which some vehicles don't even come with. I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 and I would prefer to leave everything as is, but I'm not sure if this will be a hassle or not. I couldn't find any solid info via searching Google. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I need to start planning soon because I'll be back in November!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I cannot imagine that it will be a problem for you.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Plenty of old cars have neither, mine doesn't. It passed NYS inspection. Don't think the inspector knows whether it's supposed to have ABS.

Btw, I kinda like not having ABS, don't having a machine take over my braking. Wheels lock? Loosen up on the break, then break again not as hard.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM

106,580 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Hard to say, many times the standards are the car has to perform and meet safety features as tested and submitted by the manufacturer.

It is like my jeep is safety tested without doors on it since they are removable. I CAN PASS INSPECTION WITH OUT MY DOORS. Try passing inspection without doors on your car.

I can't say what they will do in this case.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:14 AM

257 posts, read 684,723 times
If the ABS light on your dashboard isn't on or flashing - no worries. If it is you might have to explain yourself to the person looking at the car, maybe go to a different garage where they care less. Passing an inspection in NY is EASY.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:09 AM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
the cars ECM is scanned by the state inspection garage's computer. It will pop a code for the ABS system malfunctioning since the sensors are no longer there, but that parameter still exists in the 2002 Camaro's computer.

Two options are:

a. find someone with a GM diagnostics software and switch off the ABS channel
b. go to a state inspection station that you trust, and they will pass it.

I had a similar issue with my 2006 Audi after I swapped out the seats for a set of Recaro's.
The passenger airbag lights would illuminate. I used a friends Vag-Com software and simply switched those sensors, and removed the bulbs that illuminated the airbag sensor lights.

Much easier than taking apart the wiring harness and adding resistors. The last thing you want to do on any car is start hacking into the main wiring harness.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:18 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,462 times
I just had the same problem my sensor on the ABS traction is out and the light is constant--- it is not a requirement for inspection just annoying and expensive to replace the sensor. I got my sticker no problem.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 AM

9 posts, read 77,442 times
Sounds good! Thanks for all the prompt responses. I'm going to scan the computer just to ensure no codes come up and if not I'm just going to pull the LED since it does light up the ABS indicator. This will definitely save me a ton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City