Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 PM

58 posts, read 229,839 times

Advertisements

I have a pretty general question. What neighborhoods in NYC are mostly single family homes?

The only requirements are:
Very safe
Good schools

We're contemplating a move to NYC sometime in the future, but we're not quite ready to give up the notion of living in a house. We'd probably be renting, but please don't worry about how much the rent is. As long as it's safe, with good schools, it could be $2500/month or $8000/month. I really just want to get a general idea of how many safe neighborhoods have a large number of single family homes.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whome? View Post
I have a pretty general question. What neighborhoods in NYC are mostly single family homes?

Very safe
Good schools

We're contemplating a move to NYC sometime in the future, but we're not quite ready to give up the notion of living in a house. We'd probably be renting, but please don't worry about how much the rent is. As long as it's safe, with good schools, it could be $2500/month or $8000/month. I really just want to get a general idea of how many safe neighborhoods have a large number of single family homes.

Thanks in advance.
Bronx: Riverdale, Country Club
Queens: Bayside, Douglaston, Whitestone, Little Neck, Malba, Belle Harbor, Neponsit, Howard Beach
Brooklyn: Bay Ridge, Mill Basin, Sheepshead Bay, Gravesend, Midwood
Staten Island: Virtually the entire borough minus a few pockets on the North Shore

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
Quote:

Very safe
Good schools

Thanks in advance.
Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck, Whitestone, College Point, Howard Beach, Jamaica Estates, Fresh Meadows, Glen Oaks, Bensonhurst, Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay, Borough Park, Pelham Bay, City Island, Riverdale, Woodlawn, and Staten Island south of I-278. These are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Would you be ok living in the suburbs or do you have to live in NYC?? Reason I ask is most NYC public schools are "mediocre" at best even if the nabe is safe (of course there are some exceptions) and parents tend to send their kids to private school (esp. HS). K-8 is ok...but at the HS level...it's slim pickings. In the suburban counties like Nassau, Suffolk, Morris, Rockland, Westchester, etc.. the schools are waaaay better and have some top school districts in the country. Plus the nabes are much safer than NYC nabes.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the replies.

We are also considering outside the city, but we wanted tone able to compare apples to apples (more or less). Reason we are thinking in the city is commute time to manhattan.

I have heard good things about forest hills and rego park but didn't see either listed. Are those neighborhoods not as nice?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

We are also considering outside the city, but we wanted tone able to compare apples to apples (more or less). Reason we are thinking in the city is commute time to manhattan.

I have heard good things about forest hills and rego park but didn't see either listed. Are those neighborhoods not as nice?
only a small section of forest hills and rego park are predominantly 1 family thats why...also i left out kew gardens and richmond hill (only the northern section)

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
I think they're not listed because you asked about single family homes, and those areas are more multi-family or apartment style!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Gotcha, thanks.

Of the ones listed, forest hills and other included, which one would beat fit the safe and good schools (elementary) filter?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
I think Bayside. But I am biased, lived there for 30 years. I know the school district is great and 111th precinct is very low crime.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:57 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Those are good areas too...I just forgot to list them. Those areas are much more built up than the areas I mentioned, but they have a few single family homes. Kew Gardens and Middle Village...which are adjacent to FH and RP are also good families with a sizeable SF housing stock.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,004 times
Riverdale for sure. I grew up there and it was great. They have the best public and private schools around, nice houses, very safe, etc. And the commute to Manhattan isn't horrible either. We actually lived within walking distance of the subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City